+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Video card suggestion

Soulwalker

Default Video card suggestion

Working on a basic gaming computer i'm trying to purchase for my self, trying to spend around $300-500.

ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard - AMD 785G Socket

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Cheap Quad core processor?? Intel seems too pricey

Completely clueless on the type of video card I should get. Not looking for AMAZING graphics. Would like to play rift / WoW on high to full settings with no lagg

Haven't even looked at HDs and RAM yet

I'm all ears to any suggestions or builds you may have

Rift Chaser

im waiting till the 500 gtx are out and price has droped and il buy a 295 gtx as my gpu is alittle old now atm its a 9800gt.

soo if your not looking to spend loads get a 295gtx in maybe a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffncough View Post
    Working on a basic gaming computer i'm trying to purchase for my self, trying to spend around $300-500.
    Below $500 isn't really realistic for a solid entry-level gaming system. Yes, you could probably tweak things to go cheaper but I really woulnd't suggest it. Note that said price is "what's in the box", it does not include peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.), speaker, or OS. There's no way you could get a complete system on that low of a price and game on it. If such a system existed without gaming sacrifice I'd be extremely impressed.

I'd recommend you take a look at my rank 1 system recommendation.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Below $500 isn't really realistic for a solid entry-level gaming system. Yes, you could probably tweak things to go cheaper but I really woulnd't suggest it. Note that said price is "what's in the box", it does not include peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.), speaker, or OS. There's no way you could get a complete system on that low of a price and game on it. If such a system existed without gaming sacrifice I'd be extremely impressed.

I'd recommend you take a look at my rank 1 system recommendation.
    I already have keyboard mouse n what not plus an OS. Just need a barebone system.

I've been looking at your rank 2 system the only thing I don't like is the intel processor

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by May Contain Nuts View Post
    im waiting till the 500 gtx are out and price has droped and il buy a 295 gtx as my gpu is alittle old now atm its a 9800gt.

soo if your not looking to spend loads get a 295gtx in maybe a month.
    200 series isn't much of a performance boost over the 9800 series (which in turn isn't much of a boost over the 8800 series)

i'd either go with like a 9800 series (get it cheap), or step up to a 400 series if you really want noticeably more graphics processing power. Nvidia really spent like 3 model roll-outs (8000series - 200series) without any significant performance improvements. the 8800 g92 chip is incidentally the same chip in the 9800 and 200 series. it's just a difference of open pipelines, ram size, clocking speed, etc. the kinds of differences which used to separate different models in the same number series. they don't make 8800's anymore, so 9800's are the cheap end for that chip, and then 400's are the next actual architecture upgrade.

in my comp i went from an 8800 GTS (512mb g92 chip) to a 470 GTX. And I'd say it resulted in roughly double the performance over the 8800. "most" games played at excellent framerates on the 8800 GTS if set to medium settings or lower resolution than 1080p. it had no problem with games like aion, battlefield bad company 2, etc. as long as I was flexible with settings. 470 GTX is honestly more graphics power than any game I own can max out. so, perhaps it's overkill (for now). if you need a cheap computer a 9800 would work fine (make sure you have the wattage for it in your power supply)

edit: i went and looked at a chart... nvidia has gone and make their series number naming convention utterly meaningless. you'll have to research each specific model on it's own merits I'm afraid. here's a 'vague' guideline:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    divide score by dollars of price, you'll get $cost per 3Dmark point. compare different models. choose one which has a good number of points per dollar, which is in the power range you need for the games you want to play.
    Last edited by Kat; 01-19-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks kat that was a lot of helpful information

Quote Originally Posted by Puffncough View Post
    I've been looking at your rank 2 system the only thing I don't like is the intel processor
    Your choice I have AMD recommendations on the PC page to pick from if you really want AMD.

Be aware though that the builds are (currently) almost all Intel based because the new cores have been highly praised in reviews. With their turbo features, ease of overclocking, and the chipset's ability to run Nvidia or AMD multiple-GPU configurations, there is no technological reason to go with an AMD above the lower mainstream range. At mainstream and high-end technologically the new Intel stuff is superior.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Shield of Telara

Here is my suggestion:

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - 49.99
    BIOSTAR TA870+ AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - 89.99
    ASUS EAH5850 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX - 209.99 (30.00 mail in rebate)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - 49.99
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX - 89.99

subtotal - 489.95
    shipping - ~10.00
    total - 499.95
    Mail in - (-30.00)

so for less than 500 dollars that is a decent gaming machine. Yes its only a dual core CPU, but it is a fine for gaming and most other purposes as well. Like rabb1t said you very likely can't touch a new intel setup for 500 dollars.
    Last edited by Maverick494; 01-19-2011 at 10:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread