+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MUDs and BBS Games

Default MUDs and BBS Games

Anybody else here play Tradewars, telearena, or LORD back in the day? Or MMud?

What about normal MUDs? I played Sojourn for a bit but mainly Duris.

What about you guys?

Terris, Legends of Cosrin, Ruins, Medieval Times, a lot of Godwars/Dystopia stuff, Age of The Ancients, Realms of Despair, Darkness Falls, lot of stuff, a long time ago, Duris sounds familiar but I can't remember it :P

Hell, yeah I used to co-run the Stonehenge BBS out of Vancouver back in the day. I was all over the Door games like LORD, Tradewars, The Pit, Barren Realms Elite, etc. And we used to PnP out there which is what got us into MUDs.

And yeah, I used to play Duris and Sojourn too, though my main MUD was a private one named Magick Realm. My main toon on Duris was a Minotaur Conjurer - whose name escapes me atm, doh! Duris was just so much fun, and such epic PvP battles! I actually came to UO rather late because even after a lot of my friends had moved on I was still MUDding. I do miss it, but it's hard to go back to it. I just wish MMOs today had 1/4 of the imagination in design, quests, live events like we saw in MUDs.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Hell, yeah I used to co-run the Stonehenge BBS out of Vancouver back in the day. I was all over the Door games like LORD, Tradewars, The Pit, Barren Realms Elite, etc. And we used to PnP out there which is what got us into MUDs.

And yeah, I used to play Duris and Sojourn too, though my main MUD was a private one named Magick Realm. My main toon on Duris was a Minotaur Conjurer - whose name escapes me atm, doh! Duris was just so much fun, and such epic PvP battles! I actually came to UO rather late because even after a lot of my friends had moved on I was still MUDding. I do miss it, but it's hard to go back to it. I just wish MMOs today had 1/4 of the imagination in design, quests, live events like we saw in MUDs.
    Yeah. I was Theras.. barbarian warrior was my main. had a number of alts. A few months ago I found a text file that had some macros I used from waaayyy back in the day

bodysl illithid
    st
    st
    st

I remember the biggest fear in Duris back in the day.. an illithid opening a wormhole. Pok? would pop out with SPOOOOOOOOOON and NOT IN THE FACE NOT IN THE FACE
    and unless you got lucky with some bodyslams or bashes, your group was gone. And all of your gear, Avernus included.
    Last edited by Ixath; 01-18-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Yeah, it's a shame more of these kids didn't get to experience this stuff. I mean, it's what got this whole genre going. It's too bad we could see some MMOs more true to the old school MUDs like this. I believe, it's the future, however. Not quite so massive, tighter, more focused MMOs with user creation tools. So like NWN, but on a slightly larger scale.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Telaran

Yeah my parents thought I was nuts being in elementary school and asking them to get one of the big city papers so I could find more BBS contacts. Still have a hand full of text games I made while in elementary school saved on cassette tapes.

Lots of good memories.

I play L.O.R.D. 2 and TradeWars 2002 @ House of Lunduke BBS http://lunduke.com/?page_id=1602

Makes waiting for RIFT a little easier.
    50 Adequate - Seastone - Cleric - Defiant
    50 Adequate - Laethys - Mage - Guardian

+ Reply to Thread