Thread: High-end Intel Mac running Windows vs. PC Rig for Gaming

Soulwalker

Default High-end Intel Mac running Windows vs. PC Rig for Gaming

So my Intel Mac work machine has the following specs:

8 Core (2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core) Intel Xeon Westmere Processors
    12GB Ram
    2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB Vid Cards
    6 TB HD (3x 2 TB)

I'm looking to play RIFT on it via Bootcamp and running Windows Natively. I'd like to get as optimal performance as possible for Rift as I also plan to Fraps in 1900 x 1080 fairly often, hopefully large battles and events, etc. Question is will this machine be up to par for that or would this PC rig (which I'm considering buying if necessary, though I really, really don't want to manage two desktops) be better for the job?

4 Core Intel i7-2600K Processor
    8GB Ram
    2x Radeon HD 5870 1GB Vid Cards
    4 TB HD (2x 2 TB)

I'm not really hardware tech savvy but I was told by a few people that most games currently don't make use of multi-core processing, thus making the 8 core Xeon Westmere inferior to the 4 core i7-2600k. Is this really factual that even games 2011+ still aren't using multicore capabilities from processors? In any case, thanks for any help or illumination on this. Really would like to just go with the mac so I don't have to spend money on the PC desktop, but I'd really like to have a top-end gaming rig for playing modern games and recording as well so that's my conundrum.
    Last edited by Fade32; 01-18-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Telaran

I think the windows would be best, because of the fact RIFTs programming is native to windows.

I've also heard bootcamp isn't the most stable emulator at times. I would like to see a test run on each.
    ASUS G73SW - OS: WIN7 64-BIT - RAM: 8.00GB - GFX: NVIDIA GTX 460M - CPU: INTEL I7-2630QM 2.00-3.50GHz
    Server: Faemist - Cleric: ZeitFist. Rogue: Zeitgeist. Mage: Ceadeus

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fade32 View Post
    So my Intel Mac work machine has the following specs:

8 Core (2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core) Intel Xeon Westmere Processors
    12GB Ram
    2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB Vid Cards
    6 TB HD (3x 2 TB)

I'm looking to play RIFT on it via Bootcamp and running Windows Natively. I'd like to get as optimal performance as possible for Rift as I also plan to Fraps in 1900 x 1080 fairly often, hopefully large battles and events, etc. Question is will this machine be up to par for that or would this PC rig (which I'm considering buying if necessary, though I really, really don't want to manage two desktops) be better for the job?

4 Core Intel i7-2600K Processor
    8GB Ram
    2x Radeon HD 5870 1GB Vid Cards
    4 TB HD (2x 2 TB)

I'm not really hardware tech savvy but I was told by a few people that most games currently don't make use of multi-core processing, thus making the 8 core Xeon Westmere inferior to the 4 core i7-2600k. Is this really factual that even games 2011+ still aren't using multicore capabilities from processors? In any case, thanks for any help or illumination on this. Really would like to just go with the mac so I don't have to spend money on the PC desktop, but I'd really like to have a top-end gaming rig for playing modern games and recording as well so that's my conundrum.
    The mac has plenty of hardware to run Rift very well, if you can install windows to run dual boot native on it that would be the better option to bootcamp.

That said the Intel machine you are considering purchasing is very likely to run Rift better simply because of the dual 5870's. The i7 sandybridge in the intel machine also has improved CPU instruction sets that make it very nice. The dual quad cores are running 8 threads the i7 - 2600K even though it is a quad core is also running 8 threads. So you will get the same amount of processor, plus a better instruction set out of the i7.

Now if you really don't want to spend 1500-2000 on a new machine, perhaps you could upgrade the video cards in the mac to like dual 6950's and leave the rest alone.

+ Reply to Thread