+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Things should be picking up soon.

Ascendant

If you start to think about it, maybe in the future we start to see more niche MMORPGs, just like this "industry fantasy" is horrible **** and needs to die but only reason they do it because they want to get as many subs as possible
    Last edited by June; 01-13-2012 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    The former is very false. The latter is very true. Rift does a lot of things to do the latter right and is a very successful MMO.
    Well, I was merely stating my opinion. You don't have to agree. Doesn't make me wrong though
    Last edited by Rift Chaser; 01-13-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    I used to think like that myself, but after seeing all kind of MMORPGs to fail Im not sure anymore, if they do something differently they need to sacrifice something. What we know for sure after all these years WOW is the only success. Not to mention if they want to be everything excellent in MMORPG, they can easily spend 200+ mill on them.
    That entirely depends on how you define success.. There are many other MMORPG's that succeed, but simply do not have the amount of players that WoW currently enjoys and has enjoyed for a long time. I'd say that any MMORPG that has enough subscriptions to continue and has a community enjoying it, is successful.
    Warrior Tank of:
    <Imperium> - IcewatchEU
    TotDQ [4/4], FT [4/4], EE [5/5]
    Hardmodes [Zaviel / Kain]

www.imperium.co

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Chaser View Post
    Well, I was merely stating my opinion. You don't have to agree. Doesn't make me wrong though
    I appreciate your opinion, but you have to look at facts. Name one MMO that was completely re-invented things. The most successful MMO of all time didn't do anything new. That is a fact. In that regard, hate to break it to you, but you are wrong. Rift hasn't done anything super different either, except for the soul system and its amazing customer service and communication(albeit a tad more quiet than before nowadays).

But, overall, I didn't want to mean any disrespect by my comment. I was just trying to iron some things out that I feel strongly about.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ravel View Post
    Perhaps, but most people left long before SWTOR was released
    While this is quite likely true, I know at least two who left before it was released because they thought they were going to swtor, and didn't feel like playing characters they were going to abandon soon... and who are now back.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

1) play SWTOR for a month
    2) beat the game
    3) quit
    4) don't go back to Rift

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    they did that yesterday ...
    Readying Trial Shards for a massive free play promotion is not the same thing. They are doing a huge free play thing at the end of the month which is why they said people on those designated free trial shards should leave by the 18th.

1) play SWTOR for a month
    2) beat the game
    3) quit
    4) don't go back to Rift
    And where would you go...WoW? LOL
    With a lack of any other game to go to, people will go back to where they were. Wether its here or WoW that they came from. If TSW or GW2 was out you would probably be right, but people will just go back from where they came from.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 01-13-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

so...the huge noise of 'omfg SWTOR is the second comming..ans as soon as i log in its going to make me ******!' proved to be false? :P what a shock

I will say one thing about it in its defence though...it is still in beta. Currently it can not be played outside the usa, try to buy the game and it comes up with a flat 'no..maybe latter though'. the pre order my friend had to get into the head start now has a expected release time of march O.o

rift really hasn't done anything new..or more correctly the new things have not been giving enough loving as of yet (instant adventures, tower defence, chronicles) but it has taken aspects from others and done them VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    While this is quite likely true, I know at least two who left before it was released because they thought they were going to swtor, and didn't feel like playing characters they were going to abandon soon... and who are now back.
    I know at least 10 people who left both before and after for the following reasons:

Class devs messed up their class.

Game devs messed up misc game mechanics ( non- class related)

Personal info/banking info was lost in security breach

Lack of actual pvp content

Lack of end game content

etc.... there's more but these are majority

..... and these people haven't come back after they left.

Swtor dealt a large blow, but also at the time they had a security breach. like the 1-2 punch that brought the mighty fighter down. is rift down for the count, hard to say. but alotta pressure is on 1.7 to make a lot of things better and get back some people.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I die you are forgiven...."

"If I live, I will kill YOU"
    such is the rule of honour.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by NzFox View Post
    so...the huge noise of 'omfg SWTOR is the second comming..ans as soon as i log in its going to make me ******!' proved to be false? :P what a shock

I will say one thing about it in its defence though...it is still in beta. Currently it can not be played outside the usa, try to buy the game and it comes up with a flat 'no..maybe latter though'. the pre order my friend had to get into the head start now has a expected release time of march O.o
    You absolutely can play it outside the USA. Buy a copy off ebay or from amazon or a few other websites floating around that will buy the digital copy and pass the keys onto you.

If you want to waste $60 that is ;)

There are heaps of Australians currently playing Tor.
    Last edited by Glamour; 01-13-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    And where would you go...WoW? LOL
    With a lack of any other game to go to, people will go back to where they were. Wether its here or WoW that they came from. If TSW or GW2 was out you would probably be right, but people will just go back from where they came from.
    Honestly, I'm just not playing anything at the moment. Never played WoW, never will.

I'll pick up GW2 when it comes out and am reading up on the AoC patch notes right now in case I get bored (better game than people give it credit for).

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRage View Post
    I know at least 10 people who left both before and after for the following reasons:

Class devs messed up their class.

Game devs messed up misc game mechanics ( non- class related)
    People who are gonna leave over stuff like that are gonna leave sooner or later. Most MMO players don't care that much, or have learned that stuff like this comes and goes.

Personal info/banking info was lost in security breach
    Yeah, saw a few people complain about that. Me, I don't expect people to be able to run perfect security -- someone who could run perfect security could make a heck of a lot more money elsewhere instead of running an MMO.

Lack of actual pvp content

Lack of end game content
    Given rift's development pace, I wouldn't really worry -- again, anyone who'd leave a game with this kind of development pace over "lack of content" is gonna leave any game.

..... and these people haven't come back after they left.
    That's normal. The people who quit MMOs over balance? They may come back, they may not, but there is no point at all in trying to do anything about it. They'll stay or go regardless of what you do.

Swtor dealt a large blow, but also at the time they had a security breach. like the 1-2 punch that brought the mighty fighter down. is rift down for the count, hard to say. but alotta pressure is on 1.7 to make a lot of things better and get back some people.
    I don't think so. The security breach has been pretty tiny. Yeah, people left... But people are always leaving.

Thing is. If you wanna make an MMO successful, you have to focus on people who can be made happy. If you chase people who get outraged and quit over class balance stuff, you're doomed, because those people can't really be made happy. If you worry about people who are completely incapable of doing risk assessment... you're doomed. They'll screw up sooner or later.

So instead, you figure out what the people who can be happy want.

So we get streamlined endgame progression, and we get quality-of-life improvements like crafting from banked materials, and we get weddings.

If you don't look at weddings and think "wow, these people know how to run an MMO like a business", you need to do some research on what RPers are like. See. RPers are attached to characters. Which means that if your RPers are happy, they'll stay with the game. They don't care whether you've broken endgame. They may not even bother reaching level cap. They don't care whether you've balanced PvP correctly. As long as they feel like they can have a fun storytelling experience, they'll be happy. And if you throw in some content that is useful to them and no one else cares about it, that makes them feel welcome, and that means you're stuck with them until you shut your servers down.

Most MMOs give lip service at most to RP. CoH doesn't even have RP servers. WoW's "enforcement" of RP server rules is essentially nonexistent, and griefing RPers is more common than RP is. And in Rift, we see more attention given to RP issues and desires than any of the other current MMOs have been willing to give. Good business sense.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aphophis View Post
    That entirely depends on how you define success.. There are many other MMORPG's that succeed, but simply do not have the amount of players that WoW currently enjoys and has enjoyed for a long time. I'd say that any MMORPG that has enough subscriptions to continue and has a community enjoying it, is successful.
    Well. no layoffs is probably no brainer? How about at least give content 4 times per year. Just like poor Darkfall fanbs have waited over 2 year now and AV just BS them as much as possible.

Anyway I'd imagine they start to do more niche games, get 200k subs, rather than trying to get 1 mill.
    Last edited by June; 01-14-2012 at 03:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2