+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EQII vs. Vanguard - MMORPG Article

Default EQII vs. Vanguard - MMORPG Article

An interesting comparison of the two games.

A second article will be posted in a few days to complete the 'contest'.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cf...re/4508/page/1

The part I liked best (and it doesn't surprise me) is that Vanguard is more like EQ than EQII is!
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

VG had alot of potential, but was in pretty rough shape at launch. I'm sure ALOT of EQ2 folks (including myself) gave it a shot and went back to EQ2 because of the bugs/performance issues etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    VG had alot of potential, but was in pretty rough shape at launch. I'm sure ALOT of EQ2 folks (including myself) gave it a shot and went back to EQ2 because of the bugs/performance issues etc.
    I was in the VG beta tests and I recall when it was getting close to release. Every one of the beta testers reported the state the game was in but I guess the need for cashflow over ruled game state. VG shouuld have, and could have been one of the best game at the time if they had just given some more love before release.

I tried to stick with it after launch but ended up on empty servers. I guess it made a small comeback at one point.

Interesting article but what EQ is he using for comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    This is absolutely true. My old guild basically left EQ2 for VG. At the time, my system wasn't good enough to run it, so I wasn't able to follow along at the time. The fact that it was one of the worse running games ever seen at release meant a lot of them went back to EQ2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    He's comparing them to the original Everquest.

He is comparing Vanguard with Everquest 2, feature by feature.

For "Everquest-ness" he is comparing how each one rates as a true successor to the original Everquest (Vanguard 9/10, EQII 4/10)

The sole amount of immersion that VG had was ridiculous. The idea of text based narration, the way that questing had such an effect on storyline and lore, and the idea of a seamless world where literally exploration was so important - mind blowing.

VG was way ahead of its time as far as MMORPG games where the RPG element is important goes. Sigil did great things with it but the follow through wasn't there nor was the community. The problem was it released as an alternative to Wow and I don't think consumers wanted that I think they wanted more of the same.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Rift Disciple

I might be wrong but I'm sure Brad McQuaid said at the release of VG that he hoped it would be the true successor to EQ1. I believe it also sparked the comment from the EQ2 lead dev at the time to say that the office made a mistake by marketing EQ2 and EQ1's sequel.
    VG had so much potential and alot of people stuck with it way longer that they probably should have hoping to see it through, but unfortunatly it never came.

He's comparing EQ2 to Vanguard, while also comparing both to EQ. <-- already well-answered, sorry, I took too long to type my babbling post.

Having played all three, I find his review to be spot-on. Many of the comparisons he's making are subjective (such as his opinions on the community) and others' experiences probably vary greatly, but I thought his most telling was comparing the Game Worlds of both:

"The world of Norrath was a place where I first found my true online-gaming love. With a rich lore and history to it, the developers of this game really had to go to major lengths to ruin its greatness."

Neither rain nor sleet nor cries of the playerbase would keep them from their appointed task...

Set five hundred years after its predecessor, EverQuest 2 takes place within ‘The Shattered Lands,’ a series of island zones connected by bells that instantly transport the player to the next. Since its release, SOE has spent the majority of their expansion content putting the game world to how it should have been in the first place. Continents such as Faydwer and Kunark have been restored and transport elements such as boats have been put in place.
    GU56 (please correct me if that isn't accurate) introduced a "transportation revamp" that lets you travel to any zone from any other via the druid rings, wizard spires or [what used to be] dock bells (or carpets, for KoS). No longer do you have to think a lot about which zone connects to which other zone, all you have to do is figure out "do I need a druid ring, a spire or a bell?" - and most guild halls have all of them.

My own views upon the world of EverQuest 2 are somewhat biased as a devoted veteran of its predecessor, however, I do feel that the world of this game is fundamentally broken and inconsistent. Rather than feel like an actual world, Norrath now just feels like a number of themed levels connected by portals rather than a massive expansive landmass.
    Exactly. This is what EQ2 has become, now more than ever before. EQ has lots of zoning too, to be sure, but at least there they make the effort of transitioning from one to its neighbor by changing the landscape as you approach (or train, whichever! lol). Yes the Plane of Knowledge did add to the ease of travel and an argument could definitely be made that it dumbed it down too far, but nowhere near the way EQ2 has.

Still, once you've magic-a-licious-ly insta-traveled to a particular expansion, particularly KoS, EoF, RoK and SF, those expansion-connected zones DO flow nicely together, and beautifully:

Zones are gorgeous and richly detailed but the game drops all immersion when faced with a line of zone teleport buttons. Stunning sights are abundant but ultimately, the world feels like a set of zones rather than an actual world. 4/10
    The one thing pretty much everyone seems to agree about with regard to the latest expansion is that the art department kicked some major butt. What's the theme in another thread in this forum? How making things easier for players ends up ruining the game? Textbook example right there.

Coming directly from the imagination of Brad McQuaid is Vanguard’s world of Telon. Spanning three continents and several climates, Telon is massively expansive, detailed and delivers everything that an MMORPG world should be. The landscape is littered with towns, villages and cities and exploring throughout Vanguard feels exactly like it should. Vanguard captures that old school sense of wonderment and excitement, something that newer games fail at with their funneling and linear paths. Some of the sights are spectacular and immersion factors high with various modes of transports not opting to fast track players to their destination. Telon only loses points on its game world however for its inclusion of teleport stones which bypass the essence of the game. While only included to help a dwindling population get to one another without spending hours travelling, they do ruin the immersion and excitement built up by the game world. 7/10
    I admit to not having played Vanguard for as long as I did EQ and EQ2, but experienced these same feelings as he describes above. The world is simply massive, and I know that's an appeal for many who came to it from EQ. Budget, management and performance issues aside, I really do think this, and not EQ2, was the spiritual successor to EQ.

Can't wait to read part 2 to see what else he has to say in his comparison.

@ TheMaelstrom & Slyde

I know he's comparing it to EQ, but which one? The game today is far from the game I played.

@ TheMaelstrom & Slyde

I know he's comparing it to EQ, but which one? The game today is far from the game I played.
    The comparison seems to be EQ as in the Verant creation not the one that was taken over by SOE. The original Brad McQuad - kick my *** version that was many of our lives to a degree.

In that respect EQ II failed to compare to VG. Mainly because you had the original team from Verant at Sigil and the team from SOE trying to make a successor to a game that they didn't conceive.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

If only SOE was smart enough to dedicate more developers to VG and put out an expansion pack. VG is amazing and EQ2 in my opinion does not come even close. It was one of the most immersive pve games, but time has passed it by since the is 0 development for it. It is just waiting to be unplugged. SOE purchased VG in order to eliminate competition.

Haven't played either, (well aside from a small bit of Vanguard beta) but since I'm in between games right now, and it looks like VG is the better choice, I might give it another shot.
    Last edited by Arrocken; 08-31-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrocken View Post
    Haven't played either, but since I'm in between games right now, and it looks like VG is the better choice, I might give it a shot.
    Way better choice, trust me. It will be enough to hold you over until Rift.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast