+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Latency Fix

Default Latency Fix

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share this program. It is by no means designed specifically for WoW or any other game. It basically lowers your latency for many games played. I assume it will work the same for Rift. It has NO modification to the game, game files or game mechanics, etc.

Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a script which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

You will see reduced latency in many online games including World of Warcraft, Aion, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, and more.
    How It Works

Online games generally use the TCP protocol which requires that network segments sent to your computer be acknowledged in order to provide a reliable connection.

Windows bundles these acknowledgements together and sends them in pairs. While this is an efficient way of dealing with them generally, the inevitable delays caused by the bundling process increase latency considerably.

This is because when Windows queues up an acknowledgement in order to bundle it with the following one, the game server has to wait for the acknowledgement timer to expire before sending new data.

Leatrix Latency Fix removes the acknowledgement bundling process so that an acknowledgement is sent immediately for every segment that's received. This produces a significant reduction in latency as there is no longer a delay before new data is sent to your computer.

In a normal networking environment, you would prioritise network efficiency over latency and use the Windows defaults, but in online games the opposite is true and you want the lowest latency you can possibly get.

Please don't discuss WoW , etc on this thread. It is merely for the latency reduction.

I personally have used it and am still using it. It has worked for me on games such as WoW, Aion and WAR. Those are my personal experiences.

It is clean, simple and very easy to use.

Enjoy

Download Page with Information

Direct Download

*EDIT: I am NOT affiliated or know the owner of this program.
    Last edited by Xanax; 08-30-2010 at 08:07 PM.

I will try it thanks and let you know how it goes.

Used it for Aion, where it made an incredible difference in responsiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by charlionfire View Post
    Used it for Aion, where it made an incredible difference in responsiveness.
    Same here - definitely worth a try if you have latency issues.

Unfortuntly nothing can reduce Age Of Conan latency issues ive tried everything lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuso View Post
    Unfortuntly nothing can reduce Age Of Conan latency issues ive tried everything lol
    Ye, this fix only reduces the "lag" in the network connection between the server and client, i.e. it is a client side fix.
    AoC probably has server side lag, or it is a problem with the client code.

Good to see some more testimonials from people. I was a bit skeptical when I first tried it, but it worked great.

Also very simply.

I had incredible success with this. Loved it for high-end raiding.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

I installed it but have yet to test it on a game. Is there a free way to test it?

I think somebody just tried it on speedtest.net, but i'm not sure if thats a viable way?

I would try it with a game to be sure. Anything that sends mass data!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanax View Post
    I think somebody just tried it on speedtest.net, but i'm not sure if thats a viable way?

I would try it with a game to be sure. Anything that sends mass data!
    No, speedtest measures your bandwith, not the response times of the ACKs. The description of the latency fix is pretty decent at explaining. I'm not sure what would be a good way to test it, since it's more about quick roundtrips, than ability to receive data.

Also, you don't really need to download anything, you can just adjust TcpAckFrequency in the win registry. But if you don't want to go through the hassle, I suppose you can dl Leatrix's scripts.

EDIT: Also note, that there are games that use UDP (mostly FPS games I believe), so those kind of games shouldn't benefit from this fix.

This shouldn't have much (if any) impact on the Rift client.

If you see otherwise, let us know.

I doubled my latency on Aion with this "fix". But I can see where it wouldn't be a huge deal for Rift.

Latency was a big deal though on that game. If you had 100ms more than an opponent, you could notice it and they could get an upper hand... That game had other issues with routing as well in some areas.

Just have to see for this one. However, that leatrix fix is only a fix for certain games. And it can slow down everything else (browsing, downloading, etc.)
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 09-01-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post

With this information in mind, I guess I will try uninstalling it and seeing the effect on certain games/speeds.
    Thanks Brian for the info

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoneNeo View Post
    I doubled my latency on Aion with this "fix". But I can see where it wouldn't be a huge deal for Rift.

Latency was a big deal though on that game. If you had 100ms more than an opponent, you could notice it and they could get an upper hand... That game had other issues with routing as well in some areas.

Just have to see for this one. However, that leatrix fix is only a fix for certain games. And it can slow down everything else (browsing, downloading, etc.)
    Yeah thats a possibility. I'm sure it worked well for me in Aion, strange that it had a reverse affect for you.

Will try remove the fix and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post

So the Rift client will automatically set up our computer's registry files to remove bundling server packets that are sent to our computers while playing? I'm not to sure about that UNLESS Rift plans on using a different process t send us data from server->client.

This is what leatrix does:

Online games generally use the TCP protocol which requires that network segments sent to your computer be acknowledged in order to provide a reliable connection.

Windows bundles these acknowledgements together and sends them in pairs. While this is an efficient way of dealing with them generally, the inevitable delays caused by the bundling process increase latency considerably.

This is because when Windows queues up an acknowledgement in order to bundle it with the following one, the game server has to wait for the acknowledgement timer to expire before sending new data.

Leatrix Latency Fix removes the acknowledgement bundling process so that an acknowledgement is sent immediately for every segment that's received. This produces a significant reduction in latency as there is no longer a delay before new data is sent to your computer.

In a normal networking environment, you would prioritise network efficiency over latency and use the Windows defaults, but in online games the opposite is true and you want the lowest latency you can possibly get.
    If anyone wants to read more about it, this is a good source:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

It really does work wonders guys, I've gone from 200ms to about 70-100 ms... In the following games:

WoW
    EQII
    SWG
    Aion
    Requiem
    Rohan: Bloodfeud
    2Moons

And those are just the games I tested it on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast