+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A level increase isn't entirely necessary for an expansion.

Default A level increase isn't entirely necessary for an expansion.

Don't mmo's know that when you bring out an expansion it doesn't always mean you have to increase the level. To be honest I would prefer digital downloads with more dungeons, more endgame, more warfronts, maybe more crafting and more zones, rather than level like crazy for another 10 levels and then find I am bored again.

Players now expect companies to add zones/raids/etc. between expansions and then more major changes in expansions. If an MMO releases a new expansion now without increasing the level cap, a lot of players would feel ripped off.

I agree with you though; plenty of EQ1 expansions were great even if they didn't increase the max level.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Players now expect companies to add zones/raids/etc. between expansions and then more major changes in expansions. If an MMO releases a new expansion now without increasing the level cap, a lot of players would feel ripped off.

I agree with you though; plenty of EQ1 expansions were great even if they didn't increase the max level.
    And alot of players feel ripped off that the items they spend months acquiring are vendor trash now..
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

One thing I liked about City of Heroes was that the max level has been 50 for like forever (dunno if it started as 50 but during all the time that I played it it was always 50). Then again they sort of forced themselves to stay at 50 because of their recipe system.

To be honest I prefer it when the expansions, at least the first and early ones, simply add more content to the game instead of more levels.

Adding more dungeons in the low and mid level areas encourages people to play alts (which means people will keep playing the game), and new low and mid level areas makes the game look alot bigger and more complex for new players, giving them alot of options of where to go and places to explore.

Also, adding items such as the EQ2 fluff items where you can buy things to add to your house/apartment, new armor looks and so on also fleshes out the game to make it feel bigger, more fun and prevents the game from getting that "done this on a 100 alts already" feeling.

Their first expansion could include something as simple as player housing, a tradeskill for making furniture items for the housing and stuff like that. Things they didn't get to put into the game at launch, but something most players, wether they admit it or not, enjoys having in the game.

Never underestimate the power of vanity in an MMO Dyes, apperance armor et.c makes your character feel more unique and personal.

To be honest, I will actually be disappointed if they release an expansion after 4 months and bump the level cap up another 10 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Ldon, DoN, DoD. Those 3 are my favorite and all 3 didn't entail a level increase. It could be pure coincidence though, the two might not be related.
    Last edited by Aurelie; 01-17-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    Ldon, DoN, DoD. Those 3 are my favorite and all 3 didn't entail a level increase.
    Velious & Luclin also didn't increase the level cap (Kunark did though and Luclin added AA's)
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    And alot of players feel ripped off that the items they spend months acquiring are vendor trash now..
    ^^
    what he said!

The term you are seeking is lateral expansion not vertical.

It boils down to why people are playing a MMO.

Some people play for character progression, and the increased level cap allows them to expand their character.

Some people play for the added content, new loot, new crafting items, etc.

If the content is there in abundance, I don't need a level cap increase, but honestly I'd like both.

Expansions do NOT need to raise the level cap to be a good expansion. They DO need to provide new content and new gear for the three major playstyles: soloing, grouping, and raiding.

This sort of goes along with the topic discussed in the thread linked in my sig.

Soulwalker

no thanks to level increase ,game like Daoc had around 8 expansion without any level ++
    Last edited by Kisnea; 01-17-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Soulwalker

This is so crucial and i really hope that Trion reads this thread. Adding more depth to the game is way more important than expanding on to the game. If you want to keep your current subs while bringing in new ones, this is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    That's easy to avoid, whether or not you raise the level.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

With the soul system they have used, it would be easy to allow further character progression by adding more souls at each expansion instead of raising the level cap. Better gear could be obtained by progressing through additional dungeons/raids/rifts that are added. Skipping content to get to the stuff that drops the best gear can be avoided by simply requiring the completion of lower dungeons before entering new ones, which will also keep any storyline coherent, so that level isn't the factor determining order.

These tactics have worked before, an example that comes to mind is all of the FFXI expansions that kept the level cap at 75.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast