+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: A few things to get off my chest about these forums.

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Fearsyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default A few things to get off my chest about these forums.

    First i would like to to say that i am a fan of the MMO genre and i am in no way flaming or trolling. What i am doing here is more like raising conscience in some of you. To maybe help some of you to stop the things you do. And maybe have some of you answer as to why you do these things. Now with that said let me begin this song and dance.


    I have been following the MMO genre for a decade and maybe more. I have been to many gaming forums, polls and other types of social sites. But as of these past couple of years, especially since the launch of WoW and games thereafter, there has been a filthy trend spreading. And it has been spreading like wildfire. What i am talking about are forum trolls and deviants. I can understand that with more and more titles and choices in MMO's and other game types, that there will always be room for argument and debate as to which is better or more fun. But it has gotten to the point where people will trash talk a game they have not even played. Or even pass judgement on a feature in the game that has yet to be even explored or discovered.

    A good example of this is the OP class threads. I really wish you would stop and understand why a class can be seen as OP. Well firstly, its not the class. It's the way the player built and combined the souls he or she has chosen. So instead of complaining about them being over powered, why not complain on yourself for making a weak build vs theirs. This is the genius behind the class system. It's there to have crap builds, mediocre builds and powerful builds. But the type of build you have is not always OP at all times. You can have your build be great vs NPC encounters, but crap vs players and boss's who have certain resistances. So again, what you see as OP vs you, can be crap vs something else. You just so happened to have a build that gets owned by another build. And thats where the balance is along with uniqueness.

    Onto those who want to troll and complain about this game being more of the same. Guess what people, its a MMO and they are all pretty much more of the same. The differentiating factors in all MMO's are Lore, Visual appeal, PVP layouts and Community involvement. Besides those 4, all MMO's have more of the same. Kill "X" amount of monsters, take this to an NPC, escort "X' to "Y", gather "X" amount of flowers etc... If this is a problem for you, then i suggest giving up on the MMO' genre entirely. And before you want to add class's as a 5th factor, think about it first. All MMO's have the same class structures, Tank, DPS, Healing and Support/CC. Only difference again is the visuals associated with the class abilities.

    Last but not least. Comparing games and trolling. I can see why people always want to compare one MMO to another. Its the simple fact that you have not yet let go of the old game and that you are searching for a game that will fill its shoes. Well this should not be the case. This is not the reason why you should be looking into another game. Because it will always end in disappointment. Why you may ask? Its because you have already found your MMO that you love, you found the game that has the community you have an attachment to. But your argument is that you are bored and want to find something else to play. If that's the case then maybe you should stop searching for a new GAME to play and start searching for a new COMMUNITY to join. because at the end of the the day, your trolling and thread hijacking is just going to lead you right back to the community you are already bored of.

    So, i want to close this out by saying this and i think i speak for many true gamers out there. Instead of going at each others throat about which game is better, lets just join together and make the best that we can in a new world called Telara. And if we can not find a middle ground, then maybe this game and community is not for you, and that maybe you should just say your goodbye's and move on. So if this is the case with you, then on behalf of Trion, the Telara community... We bid you farewell and wish you luck on your quest to find a new MMO to play.
    Last edited by Fearsyn; 01-17-2011 at 07:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched Fearsyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    If there are is something anyone wants to comment on, please feel free. But please park your troll outside before entering this thread.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Well it's a nice post and everything, it just won't accomplish anything. Trying to prevent trolling and QQing on game forums is like halting the tides.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Oh, oh!
    No one else said it yet!

    Tl;dr

    Edit: Just for emphasis, seriously, that's like 10 paragraphs on your opinion of the forum. Whai should I care.
    Last edited by Killermandude; 01-17-2011 at 08:17 AM.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Fearsyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Well it's a nice post and everything, it just won't accomplish anything. Trying to prevent trolling and QQing on game forums is like halting the tides.
    Take away the factor that makes the tides move... remove the Moon, lol. But i see what your saying. I am mostly trying to make it more motivational and trying to bring the gaming community closer, rather than having troll wars on the forums. Trolling doesn't justify anything. If there is a game someone feels is better, they should just stay on their forums. And if there is a game they are curious about, but then realizing that they don't like it, then they should just leave and not stick around the forums posting trolling threads on a game they don't like.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Flexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Well it's a nice post and everything, it just won't accomplish anything. Trying to prevent trolling and QQing on game forums is like halting the tides.
    Agreed. A post like this, while it feels good for the composer, is much like standing on a beach: RAGING at the incoming waves.

    Take 25 steps backward, find a nice, soft piece of sand, and enjoy the ocean, sun, and weather.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser ZootCadillac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    328

    Default

    what a troll actually is:

    An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

    A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

    what most kids in internet forums think a troll is:

    anyone who does not agree with me.

    bored of it all. DNFTT.

    Trolling is an art form and highly amusing when done by the best. You don't have any forum trolls in this community. Well, you do, but none who are actively trolling.
    Last edited by ZootCadillac; 01-17-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara Stormbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Home.
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearsyn View Post
    " ... on behalf of Trion, the Telara community... We bid you farewell and wish you luck on your quest to find a new MMO to play."
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sedtheline.jpg
    Last edited by Stormbow; 01-17-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    Don't waste your time replying to me directly in a post.

    These forums are garbage and no threads can be subscribed to properly since 2010.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker Quasimojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Remove PvP from the equation, and you'll eliminate 80% of the butt-hurting. All that angst is commonly accepted on the Halo, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc. forums. Always has been, as the obvious answer in all cases is simply, "you suck so you QQ". Whiners can't stand to hear that.

    Sometimes I think PvP should have its own forum.

    This knee-jerk reaction post of the day was brought to you by me.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,449

    Default

    I got to admit. You dropped some petty good bait in this thread to attract people
    to troll it.

    The assumption that your opinion > all other opinions is easy bait. It is kind of
    entertaining arguing points with WoW fanbois. We have yet to really see a good
    hardcore WoW fanboi on this forum.

    They will start appear closer to launch.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Fearsyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flexan View Post
    Agreed. A post like this, while it feels good for the composer, is much like standing on a beach: RAGING at the incoming waves.

    Take 25 steps backward, find a nice, soft piece of sand, and enjoy the ocean, sun, and weather.
    Your missing the point. What i am doing is not trying to make the trolls vanish all in one thread. But maybe they can understand that the time they use to post negative and annoying threads could be used to produce something more positive and motivational. Even if you don't like does it mean that the game is not good? No it doesn't, it just means that its a flavor that you don't like, but you can't expect everyone to have the same taste buds as you. Thats what trolls seem to have in common. That what they like is what everyone else should like

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser Egregore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dark Hand of Valor
    Posts
    345

    Exclamation

    If we had an open beta right now, then we wouldn't be wasting our time trolling the forums. We would be playing the game, offering feedback in the beta forums and learning how to play this game we preordered.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Flexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearsyn View Post
    Your missing the point. What i am doing is not trying to make the trolls vanish all in one thread. But maybe they can understand that the time they use to post negative and annoying threads could be used to produce something more positive and motivational. Even if you don't like does it mean that the game is not good? No it doesn't, it just means that its a flavor that you don't like, but you can't expect everyone to have the same taste buds as you. Thats what trolls seem to have in common. That what they like is what everyone else should like
    You missed my point. Sit back and have fun buddy, I am sure your life is too complicated to really care about this issue in the grand scheme of things.

    Your choice however, fret as you see fit.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched Fearsyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flexan View Post
    You missed my point. Sit back and have fun buddy, I am sure your life is too complicated to really care about this issue in the grand scheme of things.

    Your choice however, fret as you see fit.
    Your right. I am at work posting this stuff lol. Maybe i need to just let it go. Troll will be trolls. And i guess the best way to deal with them is to not reply on their threads or if they happen to be in game, camp them until they hit that unsubscribe button.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZootCadillac View Post
    what a troll actually is:

    An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

    A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

    what most kids in internet forums thing a troll is:

    anyone who does not agree with me.

    bored of it all. DNFTT.

    Trolling is an art form and highly amusing when done by the best. You don't have any forum trolls in this community. Well, you do, but none who are actively trolling.
    /applaud

    what he said

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts