+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Definition of Hardcore

Default Definition of Hardcore

I keep seeing "hardcore" thrown out there a lot recently, just wanted to clear up all these people who think they are hardcore gamers.

Hardcore is not about how much time you play, it's about firsts.

Here's a breakdown:
    Hardcore = your guild creates guides for raids because you are the first to do it.

Casual = you raid 2+ hours a day on high-end content but were not top 5 in any boss kill. (just because you are raiding high end content a lot doesn't mean you are hardcore, all the guides are out there to follow, you just fail at following them or don't have the gear to progress, nothing hardcore about that)

Noob = you don't raid, or PUG raid.

Most people are casuals/noobs, like me, I'm a noob when it comes to raiding/high-end PvE and will stick to PvP. Hardcore gamers make up maybe 1% of a game.
    Last edited by Rottweiler-STi; 01-17-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Rift Disciple

Seriously... stupid.

You can be a hardcore raider and NOT be first... its about dedication and where your time is put.

Seriously... kids these days

Quote Originally Posted by Ostra View Post
    Seriously... stupid.

You can be a hardcore raider and NOT be first... its about dedication and where your time is put.

Seriously... kids these days

how is that hardcore if you are just following a youtube guide and downloaded the latest boss killer mods? lol?

who do you think created those guides and updated the mod, HARDCORE GUILDS, not your casual, wanna-be hardcore cuz we play a lot, guild.
    Last edited by Rottweiler-STi; 01-17-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Thank you for clearing that up, Rottweiler-STi. I will notify Webster immediately.

No, my opinion of the definition of ambiguous meaningless gaming terms is correct and yours is wrong.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    how is that hardcore if you are just following a youtube guide and downloaded the latest boss killer mods? lol?

who do you think created those guides and updated the mod, HARDCORE GUILDS, not your casual, wanna-be hardcore cuz we play a lot, guild.
    Your inference is that they used those things, simply because they weren't first.

Hardcore does NOT = first.
    "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."

Get your very own Rift dps meter here.

I keep seeing "hardcore" thrown out there a lot recently, just wanted to clear up all these people who think they are hardcore gamers.

Here's a breakdown:
    Hardcore = your guild creates guides for raids because you are the first to do it.

Casual = you raid 2+ hours a day on high-end content but were not top 5 in any boss kill. (just because you are raiding high end content a lot doesn't mean you are hardcore, all the guides are out there to follow, you just fail at following them or don't have the gear to progress, nothing hardcore about that)

Most people are casuals/noobs, like me, I'm a noob when it comes to raiding/high-end PvE and will stick to PvP. Hardcore gamers make up maybe 1% of a game.

Hmm well my guild has been in top five still doesn't mean I consider myself hardcore.

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up, Rottweiler-STi. I will notify Webster immediately.
    I have to admit, I lol'd.

Shadowlander

Hardcore = A person that spends the majority of there time playing a game
    Casual = A person who finds time to play as much as they can and to achieve as much in that set time.

It has nothing to do with firsts, guides and all that other dribble you posted. Its all about the amount of time spent playing the game.

And a noob is someone that has played the game long enough to know the in's and out's of the game but doesn't. Either through ignorance or lack of care.

So GG.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Allow me to clear up any misconceptions before we alert the media.

Hardcore doesn't mean jack ****.

There are 2 types of people in video games
    Those who ***** and complain and wait for changes

And those who get murdered by an "OP" class enough that they figure out - OH HEY. THIS ISN'T WORKING, MAYBE I SHOULD CHANGE MY STRAT.

Hardcore means the game is your hobby.
    If you're not hardcore, you're just killing time - like watching TV - people don't watch TV for hobbies (I pity those that actually do though), they watch it to kill time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    No, my opinion of the definition of ambiguous meaningless gaming terms is correct and yours is wrong.
    so to you hardcore is defined by time played? So people who PvP 4hours a day in BGs to get gear are hardcore PvPers?

hardcore gaming is a religion and not some scumbag trying to impress noobs making them believe hes some1 who would get firsts
    He has journeyed where none have been before. Now he returns to ensure that none follow.

Plane Touched

Here's a breakdown:

I agree and disagree with this. To me, hardcore is about raiding and how much time you put in doing it however, I do not really see downing content as having a bearing on hardcore. Based on your post, you cannot be hardcore unless you down raid bosses. I have friends who are in guilds that raid every night 3 hours a night almost and just have a tougher time downing bosses than some guilds who raid less. To me, raiding and downing content is just a sign of a good guild with good players, it does not necessarily mean they are hardcore. For instance, I come from a WoW guild with 500+ members and we downed content regularly and were usually among the top three guilds on the server however, I never felt this constituted our guild as a hardcore. Hardcore means time you put in and your ability to down content rolled into one ball imo. Also, some people feel the amount of time, reading, lore knowledge, or just knowledge of the game period justifies hardcore somewhat. Really, if you think about, the definition of hardcore is somewhat silly. Some guilds raid 2-3 times a week and have no issue killing raid bosses and some raid 5 times a week and might only down 1, does this mean they are any less hardcore, imo, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinrei View Post
    Hardcore = A person that spends the majority of there time playing a game
    Casual = A person who finds time to play as much as they can and to achieve as much in that set time.

It has nothing to do with firsts, guides and all that other dribble you posted. Its all about the amount of time spent playing the game.

And a noob is someone that has played the game long enough to know the in's and out's of the game but doesn't. Either through ignorance or lack of care.

So GG.
    So then why do people complain about "casual" PvPers getting gear by simply playing for 5 hours a day? Or "casual" PvErs getting gear by running heroics 5 hours a day?

Your assessment doesn't make any sense.

Rift Disciple

Thank you for sharing YOUR definition of hardcore and casual.

Xyrxes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast