+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Motion Sickness

Rift Disciple

I suffer from simulation sickness, yes it is an official term from when pilots got sick in their simulators, at times. I did feel it a little with the camera shakes in the Guardian starting area (lvl 1-6). Other than that nothing so far. In MMOs I tend to only get it when I turn around fast in dungeon/city environments. Staircases for instance can be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronblom View Post
    Oh I thought this thread was a joke, seems to be srs bsns, I've never heard of this "illness" before.
    Yep. Consider it a souped-up version of motion sickness, if you'd like. The more "realistic" the modern 3d-rendered games become, the more intently it can simulate motion sickness in some people with that predisposition. Can sometims happen with jerky, sudden movements on the screen as well; I remember there were reports of some people people feeling ill when watching the jerky, shuddering camera style in the movie Cloverfield, and that wasn't even in 3D yet.

Ah, the brain is an amazing device sometimes.

Soulwalker

I have also experienced this kind of motion sickness from some FPS games in the past. The factors I have so far verified that affect me is primarily the game engine used and how focused into the game I let myself become.

For example, Half-life 1 & 2 engine was making me feel dizzy after 20-30 mins of playing and really had to stop. I could stand Quake 3 for a couple of hours without getting tired and I got somewhat dizzy only after a few hours of constant playing with full attention. I guess it depends on the tolerances of every person. By the way, reading in a moving car is a no-go for me as well

Fortunately in Rift I haven't come across any similar problem (same with Warhammer Online, never had a problem playing it).

Soulwalker

I gues the old dos game Desent is way off limit for you guys then. That game was only oke to see if you played yourself.

You can safely buy this game!

I've had pretty bad cases of VMS, which is one of the reasons why I don't play FPS much... And the bare mention of Descent make me nauseaous. Though I must admit, for some reason it's mostly older first person games that do this to me.

Some of the reasons games give headaches has something to do with the amount of hertz they're displayed in. Rift has avoided these brackets.
    Last edited by Aseir; 01-17-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    - Douglas Adams (RIP)

Rift Disciple

I forgot to add in my post that I havent gotten this feeling once yet while playing rift, this is a condition I have had for years and am not blaming it on rift in any way.

For others in the same boat , I played during beta 4 for about 8 hours straight at one point , with mini breaks for a smoke here and there and did not get sick..

I will be playing in the next beta and will update this thread if I do experience any symptoms to give other a heads up of what may have triggered it in me

I get it, but I've always referred to it as motion sickness, it's probably the same thing but the OP's name of it sounds more scientific. I like it better. FPS's have always made me real nauseus (sp). MMO's on the other hand have never made me sick, unless I was playing while having to take pain killers after surgery. That was messy. The first time I realized that it made me sick was the first time I played Doom on one of the consoles, that was a real long time ago lol.

They say if you have a small fan blow on you then that may help, I've tried this and it does help me some. I also have my trash bucket close to my desk, have never had to use it for sickness yet though.

Soulwalker

I don't have any type of motion-sickness problems at all, irl or in gaming....Usually. Rift was the first exception for me. I tried tweaking all the graphics settings a million different ways, but there's just something herky-jerky about the way things move when your character is running.

During the one beta to which I was invited, I became severely nauseated and also got a pretty bad migraine (to which I am not prone) after less than an hour of playing.

Nothing else in the game seemed to bug me, just when my char was moving...which, unfortunately, is what most people spend much of their game-time watching. Hoping it was simply at an unrefined stage and has been improved upon; otherwise, I will certainly be unable to play this game.

Wow. I have seriously never heard of this. You taught me something. I had no no idea this could happen to people.

Needless to say I have never experienced this, and I do a LOT, i mean A LOT of Flight simulator, and first person stuff. Even in Rift, I like to run around in first person mode, unless I am taking screenies.

So what do you all do when this happens. Just pop and ibuprofen, or is it a dramamine thing? I am really curious to know how you combat something like this?

My wife also suffers from this. WE have found that the further she sits from the display the better. She is able to play stuff on the 360 with our big screen on the couch without issue, but if she sets at the desk and tries the same game on the PC, up close, its go time...

Oddly enough I only get motion sick on boats, and then only if I cannot see the horizon.

Yeah, I get this ... but only for certain kinds of games. I first experienced it with the original Doom. Any games like that ... especially if I'm turning rapidly in a circle ... will cause that. For that reason, I can't read while in a vehicle moving (whether it's a car or a train ... planes ... it can happen, but not as badly).

Soulwalker

I have this problem as well and as such have never been able to play fps games. The only shooter I've ever enjoyed was Gears of War because it was 3rd person.

Anyhow, I am getting the feeling playing Rift. It usually takes about an hour though. I can't put my finger on what's causing it though. It almost seems like it's more to do with the lighting than the motion. I'm playing with the graphics settings a bunch and it's got better but I can't seem to get it just right. I think just turning the brightness down on my monitor would help but then the game would lose some of the gorgeous graphics and I've never had to turn it down for other games.

Has anyone else that has had this problem with Rift discovered any settings that seem to help or a resolution to the problem. So far love the game, I'd hate to not be able to really enjoy it because of this though.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Maladhiel View Post
    Yeah, I get this ... but only for certain kinds of games. I first experienced it with the original Doom. Any games like that ... especially if I'm turning rapidly in a circle ... will cause that. For that reason, I can't read while in a vehicle moving (whether it's a car or a train ... planes ... it can happen, but not as badly).
    Original Doom is what revealed it to me as well.
    I have the same reading problem as well.
    I have no other kind of motions sickness, i can do roller coasters, heights, trains in tunnels, cars, all that with no issue, but put me in certain video games and I'm doubled over in pain in mere minutes.

Lol, this topic is kinda funny. I never get sick from games or anything really except for one N64 game back in the day and Serious Sam 2. That game was awful!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast