Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OxyCodone

Default OxyCodone

Anyone have any experience taking this drug before? I just had my wisdom teeth removed and I was given a decent amount of oxycodone which I'd never had before.

The first day, I took 2 right after the surgery and then throughout the course of the day I ended up taking 3 more when the pain started coming again. The next day, I took 2 in the morning and then 2 in the afternoon.

Today, I took one single one in the morning as I had very minimal pain.

By the afternoon / evening I started feeling a lot of discomfort. Not pain in my jaw, anymore... Just discomfort. I was feeling extremely anxious, impatient, irate, and restless. So I took 2 more a couple hours ago and have been feeling fine, since.

I can think of many other things that would have caused this:

-I've been couped up for 3 days in my itty bitty little 2 man room (barracks)
    -I had a good amount of caffeine before the discomfort started
    -I got an unusual amount of sleep last night
    -My gaming laptop is broken so I've had no reliable form of entertainment

Anyways, the point of this post is to get the opinion of anyone else that might have had experience with this drug. Can withdrawl symptoms come up this quickly? Do I really have anything to worry about? Should I stop taking it?
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
    Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    8GB 1600MHz RAM
    120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    Anyone have any experience taking this drug before? I just had my wisdom teeth removed and I was given a decent amount of oxycodone which I'd never had before.

The first day, I took 2 right after the surgery and then throughout the course of the day I ended up taking 3 more when the pain started coming again. The next day, I took 2 in the morning and then 2 in the afternoon.

Today, I took one single one in the morning as I had very minimal pain.

By the afternoon / evening I started feeling a lot of discomfort. Not pain in my jaw, anymore... Just discomfort. I was feeling extremely anxious, impatient, irate, and restless. So I took 2 more a couple hours ago and have been feeling fine, since.

I can think of many other things that would have caused this:

-I've been couped up for 3 days in my itty bitty little 2 man room (barracks)
    -I had a good amount of caffeine before the discomfort started
    -I got an unusual amount of sleep last night
    -My gaming laptop is broken so I've had no reliable form of entertainment

Anyways, the point of this post is to get the opinion of anyone else that might have had experience with this drug. Can withdrawl symptoms come up this quickly? Do I really have anything to worry about? Should I stop taking it?
    yea don't mix it with caffeine. Also I believe, depending on the dosing size, you probably are only supposed to take 1 pill every 4 hours with food. I would not take it unless you were actually hurting.

Please be careful. This drug does have some serious withdrawal effects, and dependency can sneak up on you. I was addicted for one month after being prescribed it for surgery for herniated discs in my lower back. Nothing got rid of the exact feelings you're describing, especially the restlessness, irate feelings, and anxiety, except for taking more.

If you are in pain, take care of that, but be very cautious.

I had to enter a detox program, because quitting cold turkey, if you've become addicted damages your central nervous system, and can lead to respiratory and heart problems, and in extreme cases, death. I would definitely consult a physician, and take every piece of info(including mine) with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Theskal; 01-16-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling

They dont call it "Hill-billy h-e-r-o-i-n" for nothing.
    Follow the script and you should be fine.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by Entropy; 01-16-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor a pharmacist. Any advice or information is rendered as layman information and advice, and should be read as such. Always, always consult professionals for advice.

First, I have used that drug. If you have access to your pharmacist or doctor, I would recommend you report these effects and ask questions there, since some side effects can be experienced in rare cases. Barring that, ensure you are taking the dosages as recommend not more often. That drug is an opiate derivative and oral ingestion can be up to 2X as strong as a similar doses of morphine.

Also, it probably is combined with acetaminophen and recently the FDA announced that they were restricting the strength of Percocet, Vicodin and other popular prescription painkillers to prevent people from suffering severe liver damage from overdosing on on it. Now this could be longer term usage so don't panic, just take the recommended dosages and do not combine with more acetaminophen, unless so directed by your health care givers. I usually also refrain from caffiene (coffee; tea, soda pop and especially alchohol\recreational drugs) while taking those types of drugs.

Lastly, do not suddenly stop taking those. There is a high risk of experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms if a one discontinues oxycodone abruptly. Follow the instructions!!!
    Last edited by Grymmoire; 01-16-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Wow, Oxy for wisdom teeth? Jeebus doctors really want to make drug addicts out of normal kids now don't they? My advice is if you don't have jaw pain above what aspirin can help, toss the Oxy down the toilet. It is evil stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Dretch View Post
    Wow, Oxy for wisdom teeth? Jeebus doctors really want to make drug addicts out of normal kids now don't they? My advice is if you don't have jaw pain above what aspirin can help, toss the Oxy down the toilet. It is evil stuff.
    It's what they're giving everyone who gets their wisdom teeth taken out here on post.

Army is ripping out pretty much everyone's wisdom teeth if they aren't grown in fully.

They give the same scrip to everyone else here for it.
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
    Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    8GB 1600MHz RAM
    120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II

Geesh, sounds a little extreme.

I remember my sister got drugs and was gassed.

I had my left two removed in one visit and drove home. I only had 800mg of Ibuprofen. I took one before it started and 1 the next day.

Repeated the same thing for the two on the right side when they were removed.

No gas or more powerful drugs for me, just Novocaine.

And the last X-rays I had, shows another one growing in. Yes, a 5th Wisdom tooth.

Lucky me. :-)

Djevik

Tee

I was given Hydrocodone for my wisdom teeth pain after surgery. But as for Oxy, do be careful, as it's a Schedule II narcotic (schedule I is the worst for addiction and health problems), as rated by the FDA.

When in doubt, check your wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone

Best of luck!

~ Tee
    I repent! I repent! the changeling sniveled.
    I know you do, lad, said Thorvin as he hefted the bloodstained maul. And Ive got your absolution right here.

***The Most Metal Class in RIFT***
    \m/ JUSTICAR \m/

Oxycodone and Oxycontin are different drugs. While both are addictive, Oxycodone is a normal prescription for extensive dental work. Oxycontin on the other hand is what is given to recovering H-drug addicts, to ween them off of the illegal drug, and force them to purchase government drugs, trading one addiction for another. It is a common mistake for people to confuse the two, and think that oxycodone is in fact the other.

I will agree that you were taking too many at a time. 1 pill every 4 hours is the usual dosage as posted above, and then only if you start feeling pain.

I personally was prescribed vicodin for my wisdom teeth's removal. I was in severe pain beforehand due to overcrowding of my teeth, and didn't take a single one after the surgery, no pain.
    Last edited by Visigoth; 01-16-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visigoth View Post
    Oxycodone and Oxycontin are different drugs.
    Actually, OxyContin is the brand name of a time-release formula of oxycodone; the former has it's peak effect at 3 hours as a continuous release, with the latter peaking at approximately 1 hour.

Interestingly enough, last year, the strongest dosage was scaled backed in the US, since it was suspected of being abused. More binders preventing illicit use were added, however, I do not know if these are the same binders and concentrations (acetaminophen?) that are now under scrutiny by the FDA as potential health risks.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Is a nurse and have seen many bad side effects with it. If your military you most likely have the time released version as that is most common go here I am guessing they most likely did not give you drug interaction papers :

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/oxycodone-side-effects.html

One thing with it if you do not keep it in your system you will start to withdraw from it and have these issues .. I would suggest you go to sick call and give them a heads up. This point after your wisdom teeth pulled Motrin should be enough to help every 4 to 6 hours unless you're infected and in dire pain I would suggest not taking it. BEFORE you stop ANY medication in middle go back to sick call tell them everything and see if you can get taken off of it. No reason to be on such a strong pain killer that causes so many side effects and addictions to it. You will feel like hell for up to 48 to 72 hours after you stop taking it and that should subside once it is out of your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymmoire View Post
    Actually, OxyContin is the brand name of a time-release formula of oxycodone; the former has it's peak effect at 3 hours as a continuous release, with the latter peaking at approximately 1 hour.

Interestingly enough, last year, the strongest dosage was scaled backed in the US, since it was suspected of being abused. More binders preventing illicit use were added, however, I do not know if these are the same binders and concentrations (acetaminophen?) that are now under scrutiny by the FDA as potential health risks.
    yes your are correct but this is the military lol trust me they use up stock they have before conforming to new ones ( Army nurse) should see stuff they have stored in Va hospitals he probly has time release I am very shocked that they did not give him motrin or tylenol3 with codene awfll strong meds for wisdom teeeth

Shield of Telara

[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]You need to take a steady does no matter how much pain your feeling.

You will feel less pain if you take 2 every 12 hours than if you took 5 every day.

When you first start taking drugs the first dose isn't in your system yet so it needs to get through it. After you keep up on periodical doses, you have a steady flow of the medicine and it works around the clock. Upsetting this does is probably what caused any o f your symptoms.

This is why on medicine if it says take two twice a day, you should take them at exact times and not when you wake up/ fall asleep.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 01-17-2011 at 07:38 AM.

GET OFF IT.

I'm in the Navy and during PT one morning I passed out with a 107.5 degree temp (in the middle of winter in Rhode Island) and during my treatment they found 2 masses in my brain (both benign, thank you, Lord) and it took a two month hospital stay to have them taken out and recover enough to go home. During that time they put me on another Opiate, dilaudid. Opiate withdrawal is not fun. When they were sticking that stuff in me through IV it was the greatest thing on earth, but it was NOT worth the withdrawal I just got done going through.

I would get extreme stabbing pains in my shoulder and abdomen; as well as some more personal areas. Sometimes it would incapacitate me for a few seconds. You've only been on the drug for a little bit and could be showing signs of dependency already. Perhaps you are just extra prone to addiction with that drug. My advice to you: either get something different if you find the pain manageable on a non-opiate pain killer OR take only what you need and then throw the drugs away. Please do not sell them as there are people out there who will pay decent money for the pills, but the money you would make is not worth supporting a habit that literally destroys lives.

I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you I still have a country. (Captain Blythe)
    In war (and PvP) it's not who's right, it's who's left.
    I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast