+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Learned behavior

  1. #1
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Learned behavior

    So I'm on a job site this morning waiting for the subs to show up so we can get something done and I notice the lawn in front of me is full of seagulls. The oddest thing is they were hunting worms and bugs like Robins do. I had never seen them do that before, it was a riot watching them hopping around like robins snatching up worms. I mean these critters should be out on the water catching fish and here they are eating the bait.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Anasazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    More than likely something is wrong with their regular food source so they had to resort to worms. Prolly your water or fish are tainted and they can tell. They are smarter than you think and can sense things you can't. Personally after seeing that I would not swim or eat local seafood in the area.

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anasazi View Post
    More than likely something is wrong with their regular food source so they had to resort to worms. Prolly your water or fish are tainted and they can tell. They are smarter than you think and can sense things you can't. Personally after seeing that I would not swim or eat local seafood in the area.
    And you missed the pun altogether. Since I live int the middle of Canada local seafood is not an issue. The local food source for these gulls is the local landfill and McDonalds. Take your pick I tend to avoid both. Gulls are like airborn goats they can and will eat anything, with no ill effects.
    Last edited by Ancient; 08-31-2010 at 12:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Arrocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Seagulls have always been a bunch of scavengers. They're the pigeons of the coast, or like pigeons they can be called flying rats. They deserve that moniker more than the bats. I grew up on the gulf coast, and had a house one block from the beach, and I can't count how many times I've cursed those stupid birds and contemplated throwing them Alka-Seltzers (sp?).

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara Ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrocken View Post
    Seagulls have always been a bunch of scavengers. They're the pigeons of the coast, or like pigeons they can be called flying rats. They deserve that moniker more than the bats. I grew up on the gulf coast, and had a house one block from the beach, and I can't count how many times I've cursed those stupid birds and contemplated throwing them Alka-Seltzers (sp?).
    ROFL I actually did that as a Kid on a ferry ride out to Nantucket, it doesn't work.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Anasazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    And you missed the pun altogether. Since I live int the middle of Canada local seafood is not an issue. The local food source for these gulls is the local landfill and McDonalds. Take your pick I tend to avoid both. Gulls are like airborn goats they can and will eat anything, with no ill effects.
    You still live near a body water with fish in it so the point is still valid. What pun are you talking about?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts