+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does your significant other hate that you play MMOs?

Default Does your significant other hate that you play MMOs?

I was talking to a friend at work whose wife gives him flack about the time and money he spends gaming - to the point that he's doing it less and less as time goes on. I get if it's interfering with other family duties but that doesn't seem to be the case with him.

My wife isn't into gaming at all but she recognizes it as my hobby and doesn't have a problem if I spend a few nights a week holed up gaming (although I can't get her to see the logic in letting me get a new gaming rig every two years!). I tried to get her into WoW a few years back but it didn't take - gaming just isn't her thing.

So, does your significant other game with you, hate that you game, or let you do your own thing? If (s)he doesn't game - do you wish (s)he would or are you happy on your own? If (s)he does game do you wish (s)he wouldn't?

My husband is just fine with it. Sometimes he plays too. He prefers the xbox 360 though.

I don't see the problem so long as gaming isn't taking over someones life.

My wife plays them with me, so that would be a no.

When I played EQ1 he hated gaming I was let's say a little obsessive.

Now we play together raid together and have a good time in game. I am more the gamer for sure but he is no tag along either. We have quite a few guys in our guild though that literally drop raid if they get caught gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    We have quite a few guys in our guild though that literally drop raid if they get caught gaming.
    Poor guys.

Not being married, does a GF count? Anyhow, she hasn't moved in and wont, so she has no say, haha!

My ex-wife hated the computer, even though I only played when she was at work or asleep.

After the divorce she got a computer and needed me to teach her how to use it.

My current lady-friend doesn't play games, but is very computer savvy. Again, I usually only play when she is at work or asleep so there's never been a problem (8 years together).

You really just have to be careful not to ignore your partner when playing. If they are busy doing their own thing, you're probably OK. But if they are hovering in the background, or asking how much longer you'll be playing, that's a sign they need your attention - NOW!
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

I've always played MMOs with my husband, so no. Couples who game together, stay together!

My wifey and I game together. It is a lot of fun!

I used to resent my husbands gaming obsession - until he got me hooked - we have been gaming together for over 6 years now and its cool.
    I understand why and how partners can feel resentful towards something that can be all consuming but since i have played i have also seen it from the other side.

My ex-boyfriend was only really into:
    -Halo
    -Counterstrike
    -Command and Conquer
    -Total War - type games
    -Before he knew me, he had sometimes played JRPGs like Suikoden

But he didn't play MMOs, or many RPGs at all. So yeah, he wouldn't like much about them just as I wouldn't personally like a lot of what he did (freestyle rollerblading, growing interest in architecture - hes now into his 4th year of undergrad). Just one of the things that built up to the final breakup... .... We're still friends though.

The next person I'll be with better be at least tolerant of MMOs, since damn, 2011 will be the year of them, I'd prefer they play them as well. Not a huge factor, but it'd be nice.

Online games don't ruin relationships, the lack of communication does.

And there has been a lot of research linking depression, anxiety and social issues to gamers, but again, online games don't make a person depressed or cause mental health issues, but can very well be detrimental to those already suffering in that way (most notably by providing 'escape' that is too escaping, if that makes sense).

Both people in a relationship should discuss whether any hobby either are doing is healthy and the best thing for the relationship if you care more about it than said hobby. The problem is video games (online in particular) really have addictive qualities and can be detrimental to people with certain other issues, like creating a perfect storm for someone in deep denial about depression.

It might suck and one might have a hard time to understanding, but if the person you love is asking you to turn off the computer, there may very well be a very serious reason for it. The hard thing with gaming is that it sucks people in so deep it's harder than most activities to break from the 'new' reality succinctly enough to realize you've become detached or depressed or are using the game to fuel denial.

Not to be all dramatic, or anything, but seriously, as a general warning, if the people you love seem concerned, it might be best to listen.

The good news is people CAN play video games in a healthy way that even the most skeptical spouses can support. Just got to take care of yourself first, ya know.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Heh she sits arm reach away so yeah she games with me. I tank, she heals, it works!

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

We are both playing, but with different playstyles. I am a dedicated raider, my girlfriend is a casual player. We usually make an alt duo we only play together. But mainly if we spend time together, we do so in RL. There are, ahhhhm, more rewarding ways to play than online games......
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

I want to date someone who I can DPS with, and he can heal or tank, and a friend of ours can fill in the healer/tanking role.

My wife games right next to me. When she first got me EQ2 for Christmas she let me know that she thought it was weird to pay a monthly fee for a video game. I convinced her to roll a character and next thing I knew we had a 2nd computer and 2nd account. I couldn't imagine being addicted to an MMO w/o her. I tend to gravitate towards tanks and mages and she prefers healers and scouts. We complement each other irl and in-game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast