+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EA-Mythic hype man calls WoW the ipod of MMOs, what music player will RIFT be?

Default EA-Mythic hype man calls WoW the ipod of MMOs, what music player will RIFT be?

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=203

"It was a hard lesson, and very ego bruising to learn, but WoW is the MMO equivalent of the iPod or iPhone. It doesn't matter that there were MP3 players before the iPod. Once the iPod came out it dominated and it doesn't matter what you made after the iPod."

"That is actually what WoW is, it's this magnificent uber-creation and as I learned, chasing after it was painful and humbling."

Telaran

Ipod Touch. I think its got the same basic concept as WoW but with a few improvements.

whats iPOD ???

You mean that crappy made in chine low cost, low end high price bull****?

No thanks i ve got standarts....
    This universe is lost, I seek only Oblivion
    There is no peace for the Damned
    with Eternal war raging across the land
    We may be immortal
    but nothing than suffering awaits us

I still use a meizu m6 for an mp3 player. And my phone is a blackberry.

But like all things. it'll be replaced one day or another. WoW is what, six years old? It's got a few more years in her, but she won't remain top dog forever. I'm not claiming it'll be "killed" because let's face it, MMO's are never really killed off, they simply lose subs. One day though she'll be but a distant memory and everyone will be moving onto the next latest and greatest.
    Fallout Clan - Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by Gaku View Post
    But like all things. it'll be replaced one day or another. WoW is what, six years old? It's got a few more years in her, but she won't remain top dog forever. I'm not claiming it'll be "killed" because let's face it, MMO's are never really killed off, they simply lose subs. One day though she'll be but a distant memory and everyone will be moving onto the next latest and greatest.
    do you feel any game will have higher subs than WoW before blizzards next MMO comes out? I don't think that will happen, but there is plenty of room for other games, like RIFT, to hold the #2 spot with a solid 200k+ subs.

A good thing to learn from wow however is the power of advertising.

You see, MMOs are highly addicting, and your first mmo is the most addicting, the hardest to quit, the hardest to even conceptualize life with out after you start.

WoWs sucsess was attracting a lot of people who have never played mmos before and having a very nice easy user friendly begining that just let you go and 'roll with it'.

The ipod analogy is actually pretty good, since the ipod was the first thing that really had good wide scale marketing, and it was easy enough for people to understand.

I liike the Sansa from sony.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by HopeIsDead View Post
    whats iPOD ???

and apparently a terrible spell checker.

He was a little late in this realization.

It won't be an MP3 Player, it will be an MMORPG. Thanks.
    /10char

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by HopeIsDead View Post
    whats iPOD ???

Maybe he was referring to an item which copied and stole from its predecessors but fanboys still believe it was the first of its kind/genre.. (for clarification the Creative Labs Zen is regarded as the first hdd mp3 player, Apple stole its interface and used it on the iPod to which Creative Labs sued & Apple lost the lawsuit & had to pay royalties but still somehow people believe Apple created the mp3 player market)
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    do you feel any game will have higher subs than WoW before blizzards next MMO comes out? I don't think that will happen, but there is plenty of room for other games, like RIFT, to hold the #2 spot with a solid 200k+ subs.
    I wouldn't really know, but in order to pull that many subs it'll need to be another fisher price MMO tbh. I'm not trying to bash WoW here (I played it since launch along with a great deal of others) but it isn't really a "hardcore" type of MMO. WoW is meant to cater to the casual gamer, and recently most MMO's have took notice to that and seen how it could bring them a large deal of business.

Let's be honest, if you're a company your in it for the profit, so I don't blame Blizzard in the least. Do I think another MMO will take it's place and hold a number of subs as staggering as 12 million? Doubtful. Do I think Blizzard's next MMO has a chance of coming close to that either? Even more doubtful.

WoW has had it's 15 minutes and one day they'll lose their strangle hold on the MMO market, personally I think Rift will pull in a lot more than 200k subs, but even that will be profitable for them.

There's really no telling who'll fill the void for so many people once WoW has reached it's final days, hell it could be a MMO no one has even heard of before.

My point being Blizzard did a good job with WoW and pulled in so many subs most people thought impossible for the genre, but that doesn't mean their next MMO will even come close to such a feat, hell judging by the way WoW has been heading, I doubt if their next MMO will break 500k.
    Last edited by Gaku; 01-16-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    A good thing to learn from wow however is the power of advertising.

You see, MMOs are highly addicting, and your first mmo is the most addicting, the hardest to quit, the hardest to even conceptualize life with out after you start.

WoWs sucsess was attracting a lot of people who have never played mmos before and having a very nice easy user friendly begining that just let you go and 'roll with it'.

The ipod analogy is actually pretty good, since the ipod was the first thing that really had good wide scale marketing, and it was easy enough for people to understand.
    Well put, most who play WoW have never stepped foot inside a MMO before. WoW managed to pull in people who weren't familiar with the genre, that's mainly due to their previous titles. I played Diablo II for 7 years, I played Warcraft forever as well. WoW pulled in a great deal of console and Battlenet players, granted they did pull in a large number of MMO players, but not nearly as many as some believe.

Blizzard knows how to market their product, and because of that they saw much success.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    200k+? I should hope so.

As for being the IPod, I think WoW is more like Internet Explorer holding it's majority of the market share, even when there are better browsers out there. I also remember the days when IE had a 90% market share, and it was thought to be utter madness to think you could make a competing browser...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast