+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Homebrew Review: Star Wars: The Old Republic (Beta)

Quote Originally Posted by Almidon View Post
    That being said. Bioware managed to create a game which atmosphere breathes Star Wars for me. Does that make it a great MMO? No. Will it be a Rift or WoW or " insert random game here" killer? No. But it will have it's own fan base, and for what i can see now, rightfully so.
    It manages to do the same for me, and I think part of that is the spot-on sound effects (they'd have to try and fail here, given the library of sounds they have to draw from) and the scale of the environment, though the aesthetic has taken some getting used to. That first moment on Coruscant, right when you load in and can see the city outside that massive window, with all the speeders flying by like it's rush hour? Or taking your first steps on Korriban, seeing those massive stone sculptures in the rock, with the distant even more massive Imperial ships above? The intimidating Citadel on Dromund Kaas, home to some of the most powerful and dangerous Sith Lords? BTS (Big Technological Stuff) is a personal favorite of mine, which both Star Wars and Mass Effect draw upon, and I love environments that are massive in scale (whether it's truly massive or gives the impression of being massive), so those were some definite pluses.

I do hope they add a day/night cycle at some point...I would love to see Coruscant at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    How naive do you have to be? The game launches in less than a month, that was the final product with an active debugger and AA turned off. I've seen many games from Pre-Alpha through to launch now and what you saw last weekend is the final product.
    If you knew how you could turn the Anti-Aliasing on anyway. I personally liked the graphics of TOR.
    It was NOT the final product, do I have to dig through the notes from EA devs themselves stating that they left out texture packs from the download to make it smaller????? Hence we did NOT see the final product, there was at least 10gb trimmed from the download, at least and those were game textures.
    Sidestep - Mage - Riptalon

Last edited by Zoid; 11-29-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92262&dateline=134088  9999

The world is'nt beautiful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c&
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92262&dateline=134088  9999

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post
    THIS is so wrong, this is EXACTLY what people should be comparing their games to. This is what they are competing with, so people who think this way need to get out of the apologist attitude and they will be comparing any new game to their last game. It doesn't matter that WoW is 7 years older, people in general will look at things as they are now and compare the new one with the old.

When people and designers actually realise this then we might get somewhere and developers will try to make more immersive lengthy games. So remember the sad truth is in the real world people will always compare things as they are at the time, not go...oh...what was this one like 5 yrs ago and comapre it like for like then.
    I can't tell if your agreeing with me or saying I'm wrong. Your first paragraph sounds like your disagreeing with me, then you go on to make the same point I tried to make.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprect1 View Post
    It was a very old beta build we were playing this weekend. There were a lot of known issues with it, that is why all of the survey questions were about content and lag/framerates as they were only stress testing the servers to get an idea of how early release was going to be. This was a very crude representation of what the release version will actually be. There have been many major changes to the final release version from what we played this weekend.
    If that's true than I already question the SWTOR dev's judgment.

I won't fill in the blanks..

Give it 5 minutes of thought and you can come up with a list of reasons why that's unbelievably, slack-jaw inducing, stupifyingly ******ed on their part .
    Last edited by Sleepthief; 11-30-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Guardians:
    PR90 Smugjugs@Seastone (Briarcliff/Sunrest/Deepstrike/Dayblind)
    50 Unnamed@Seastone (Previously Bellicosa)

38 Scataracts@Seastone

50 Witchtits@Seastone (Defiant pending faction change)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepthief View Post
    If that's true than I already question the SWTOR dev's judgment.

I won't fill in the blanks..

Give it 5 minutes of thought and you can come up with a list of reasons why that's unbelievably, slack-jaw inducing, stupifyingly ******ed on their part .
    there is also a number of reasons why it was a good idea. they have already stated if they get 200k subs they will be in the green, and pre order sales alone are already 5-8 times that. also, i, unlike many others, spent my time in beta with a character that will not be my main. i know that once the game goes live i will probably roll a smuggler eventually, but to start i will be darkside. spoiling that story means it will be a long while till i want to replay those 23 levels of same story again. its the same reason why i cant stomach making a third toon in rift. between my rogue and mage i have done virtually every quest available, many atleast twice.

it seemed pretty obvious to me that the turn out this weekend was higher than expected, since not only was i in que every time i logged off, but they had to open up atleast 4 more servers that i saw.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

Shadowlander

If anyone has any quotes handy showing that last weekend's build was an early build and that texture packs were left out, I'd love to see them. I know people are saying the file size was much smaller last weekend and that's fine but I want specifics. Not trying to troll at all, it'd make me really happy if this was true but I've seen the, "It's just beta" excuse so many times before. We're 2 weeks out and I have a preorder but am really on the fence so any info would be appreciated.

Shadowlander

Hmm, no one has anything official eh? I searched a bit myself and didn't find anything other than rumor that high res textures and other features were held out. Even found out that with today's build, AA is no longer even in the options. Figured as much.

Why exactly do you expect us to do your legwork for you? If you don't want to buy SWTOR then don't buy it.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zhedi View Post
    George Lucas (force persuade): this is the game you always been looking for.
    The over excited crowd: yes master, this is the game we've been always looking for!

Thing is that people are bored. Bored by 6 years of WoW and millions of replicas that filled the market all these years. So every time when a new title is announced people get over excited and hoping that this one will bring something new, something that will kill the boredom. Now is trendy to be a SWTOR fan even if you have no clue wtf SW is, same as yesterday was trendy to be a Rift fan and so on. But after few months later when the hype will fade many people will smash their heads to walls and head to another trendy title that will be announced in the meantime.

What is truly sad is how low are the people expectations these days driven by the hunger for something different. SWTOR have tons of bugs and problems, but still.. people will buy it as it would be a finished and polished product. Is like buying a new car without wheels and a broken engine believing that the manufacturer will add/fix these things later. No more the need for a quality product, no more quality products... no matter if is about a product, politics, music nor anything else. Dark the future is.
    This sums it up.

I thought that SWTOR woudl be a flop and then i tried the beta and it proved be otherwise. The best online RPG ever made.

Appreciated your well balanced review.

But

Art Lead: "CRATESCRATESCRATESCRATESCRATESCRATESCRATES."
    Yes, I kinda thought the same, but if you play the Smuggler or IA, you'll love those crates

Kinda like in Mass Effect 2, crates & outcroppings every where for you to hunker down behind.

*edited for sp.
    Last edited by Lumber; 12-02-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Why exactly do you expect us to do your legwork for you? If you don't want to buy SWTOR then don't buy it.
    You know...I did try to find the info myself, found nothing, and other people had mentioned seeing official quotes about the status of the weekend build and what it was lacking. Like I said, I have it preordered but am on the fence and asked nicely for any quotes anyone might have handy. The knee-jerk reaction to any questioning of this game has been incredible. I asked on these boards since as I was hoping they were far enough removed from the official boards and the rage there, that I could get an answer. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by trixloc View Post
    You know...I did try to find the info myself, found nothing, and other people had mentioned seeing official quotes about the status of the weekend build and what it was lacking. Like I said, I have it preordered but am on the fence and asked nicely for any quotes anyone might have handy. The knee-jerk reaction to any questioning of this game has been incredible. I asked on these boards since as I was hoping they were far enough removed from the official boards and the rage there, that I could get an answer. Guess not.
    Here is the thing, for those of us who played the beta it was obvious that they do not have all the textures in the game, all you had to do was look around at various objects like parked speeders. The textures are clearly place holders because only a blind hater would claim that a AAA title would go to launch with textures that would have been unacceptable back 10 years ago.

Obviously no one has any quotes handy, and apparently no one has the time or energy to dig them out for you, or no one really gives a tinkers damn whether you believe them or not. The fact that you are taking this personally is really ridiculous. There has been lots of calm discussion on various SWTOR topics all along, the fact that you are whining about knee jerk answers and forum rage because no one is rushing off to drop what they are doing in order to research things for you only highlights your swollen sense of entitlement.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast