+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 120hz Monitors...

Default 120hz Monitors...

[The reason i am making this post is for people who might be on the fence. If you are, i really think its worth the extra money over a "normal" 60hz monitor.]

Just wanted to let you all know, i recently built a new comp for myself, and one of the purchases i made was picking up a 120hz LCD, not because i care about "3D" glasses and all that (have tried it out, not sure what the big deal is but /shrug), but because of the ability to vsync at 120fps instead of 60.

Now, most people are going to claim you can't see more than X number of FPS, which is patently false (especially because our brains/eyes don't work in that manner).

Anyways, the point is, if you can pick one up, do it. The difference is amazing. I literally just spent the first couple of minutes after booting up just moving windows around. Gaming is absolutely awesome. Everything feels just much more solid and smooth. Its really hard to describe, kind of one of those things you just have to experience.

On a side note, for people who are confused, 120hz LCD monitors for computers are COMPLETELY different from the 120hz LCD tv's you see in bestbuy/etc. These new monitors are actually refreshing the screen at 120hz, those tv's are actually using an algorithm to take two frames from a video source, and "predict" what the frame in between them would look like. I don't know if you've ever seen the 120hz in a store, or even worse the 240hz tv's, but the effect is disturbing, its almost ethereal like the image is sightly floating above or below the plane of the screen and its frankly disturbing to me.

Also, if you're wondering, the actual monitor i bought was the Alienware Optx AW2310. Normally i wouldn't buy things from alienware b/c you pay a premium for the name, but, they had a sale that dropped it to $400, which puts it right in the ballpark of the other 120hz 24" monitors, and from all the reviews i've read, it has better picture quality, color accuracy etc.

All i can say is im not disappointed, and considering how much of a cynic i am, that's impressive.
    Last edited by Hrimnir; 01-16-2011 at 03:56 AM.

CRT vs LCD/LED is rather a silly argument.
    What I want to know is how current TV's out perform each other. 60hz vs 120hz vs 240hz.
    Congrats on your new monitor Hrimnir

I'm all for faster FPS, but given a choice of 120Hz or LED backlit I think I'd favor LED backlit.
    Last edited by Trion_Community; 01-17-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Reply to a post that was removed
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Soulwalker

The first thing I noticed when I upgraded from my old 17" top of the line CRT to a 19" LCD was how much nicer the entire viewing experience was. I could work on a spreadsheet or a document for hours on end without having to give my eyeballs a break. And yet the picture was somehow brighter and more vivid. I seriously wonder how much better my eyesight would be today had I never sat so long in front of CRT screens. I had no problem with gaming either, I never noticed my experience changed radically playing fast paced shooters such as Counterstrike. The only difference was, again, that I could play hours on end without having to take a break to rest my eyes. And yes, I was playing with my CRT set to 85+ hz refresh rate / resolutions. 60 hz on an LCD is totally different from a CRT. Where you would get perceivable flicker at such a low refresh rate on a CRT, there is none on an LCD. I am sure 120+ hz LCDs will eventually become the norm. But for now, until their price comes down, any 60 hz LCD with an 8ms or less response time is more than adequate for 99% of computer gamers out there. And to those who give two craps about color accuracy, there are LCDs out there that approach CRTs. Problem is, you pay big bucks for them and they are usually ill suited to gaming.

/walks Into Bestbuy. Hi can I buy a CRT monitor?
    /leaves Because half the store is laughing at me.

For the average person CRT vs LCD is pointless.
    You have posted almost 6times with the exact same argument. We get it.

I bet my Beta max player will beat your VCR
    Oh oh 8 track is way better then audio cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    /walks Into Bestbuy. Hi can I buy a CRT monitor?
    /leaves Because half the store is laughing at me.
    This actually makes me wonder... with the average age of my Best Buy stores locally being 20, if you consider that CRTs really haven't been in use and sold at all for upwards to 5 years now... it makes me wonder just how many of those employees have seen one in the span of half of their entire lifespan. I'd put bets that very soon Best Buy employees, for the most part, won't even know what a CRT is.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread