+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: so which graphics cards work best with Rift?

Soulwalker

Default so which graphics cards work best with Rift?

torn between a ati 6850 or nvidia gtx 460. i however need some help on answering some questions as to which which one would work best with rift.

1. ive noticed the term "reference cards" used alot in various posts and websites but i have no clue what this means.
    2. ive noticed physx mentioned on the nvidia cards but only useful in some games? what is physx and what does it offer?
    3. even tho the ati cards have better spec paper wise, people choose the nvidia gtx 460 instead?
    4. i have no clue and never OC in my life. would it favour me more to get a card OC out of the bag?
    5. which ati 6850 card is recommended if its preferred to an nvidia one? ( max budget £170 = $265)
    6. which nvidia gtx 460 card is recommended if its preffered to a ati one? ( max budget £170 = $265)

my current spec is:
    windows 7
    ocz fatality 8gb ddr2 ram (4x2)
    500gb seagate sata hd
    gigabyte ati 4850
    gigabyte ga-ma78gm-s2h
    amd phenom 9950 2.6ghz

THANKS!

My 5770 works like a charm
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
    1. ive noticed the term "reference cards" used alot in various posts and websites but i have no clue what this means.
    2. ive noticed physx mentioned on the nvidia cards but only useful in some games? what is physx and what does it offer?
    3. even tho the ati cards have better spec paper wise, people choose the nvidia gtx 460 instead?
    4. i have no clue and never OC in my life. would it favour me more to get a card OC out of the bag?
    5. which ati 6850 card is recommended if its preferred to an nvidia one? ( max budget £170 = $265)
    6. which nvidia gtx 460 card is recommended if its preffered to a ati one? ( max budget £170 = $265)
    1.Reference cards means the base manufacturers chipset - before the company selling the card puts their touches on it.
    2.Physx is a real time physics engine owned by Nvidia - its only useful though in games that take advantage of it.
    3.Rift is optimised for Nvidia cards.
    4.OC'ing isnt necessary at all and unless you're an advanced user, I would recommend you don't try it as you can damage your hardware and void your warranty.

As to 5 & 6, few cards vary much from the reference version now days to worry all that much about it in my opinion.
    Last edited by emseebee; 01-15-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Onarye View Post
    My 5770 works like a charm

Wow. That sucks. Anyways, I'd recommend a 1.5GB GDDR5 65W NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M .
    Last edited by Cytrokuy; 01-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    /10char

Soulwalker

My only advice to you is that unless you're going to buy your AMD card from XFX, don't bother with Radeons. No AMD manufacturer besides XFX has lifetime warranties on their cards. Manufacturers for Nvidia on the other hand almost all have lifetime warranties. A lifetime warranty doesn't guarantee, but does at least imply that the company supplying the product does some quality assurance on their hardware and means that you won't have to worry about something going wrong with your videocard after the expiration date if you're short on cash.

Something to consider.

reference cards are those that are sold just as they were designed by Nvidia's main partner (PCPartner Inc, or Zotac, to you and Sapphire ( also PCPartner) for ATI) without any alteration to the design or cooling
    Physx is a real-time engine that calculates movement for realistic fluid movement in things like liquids, clothes and hair. it offers realism
    That's a personal choice and ati does not have better spec on paper, it depends what you are comparing them with and what you intend to do with them. Benchmark numbers are interesting but real-world gaming means there is often little to choose between them. The 460 right now, if you get a 1GB factory OC version simply offers the best performance for your money.
    yes. then you have nothing more to do
    Don't know, would not buy one. Not that i dislike ATI,used them for over 10 years but I need fermi core CUDA cards for protein folding and ATI can't do that plus the OC 1GB 460 beats any 6850 across the board in every single benchmark apart from real-time blu ray rendering ( and then it's close )
    any of the OC ones, Inno 3D, EVGA, PNY XLR8, MSI Cyclone but only the 1GB versions and certainly NOT the gainwards or the Palit versions ( same company, same cards, same sub-standard components )

One thing to note is that currently the ATI cards are struggling performance wise in comparison to like-for-like Nvidias but that's sure to be a driver issue that will end up fixed.
    Last edited by ZootCadillac; 01-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDreg View Post
    My only advice to you is that unless you're going to buy your AMD card from XFX, don't bother with Radeons. No AMD manufacturer besides XFX has lifetime warranties on their cards. Manufacturers for Nvidia on the other hand almost all have lifetime warranties. A lifetime warranty doesn't guarantee, but does at least imply that the company supplying the product does some quality assurance on their hardware and means that you won't have to worry about something going wrong with your videocard after the expiration date if you're short on cash.

Something to consider.
    of the four XFX cards I have had 3 failed and XFX refused to honour the warranty on any of them, but that's a UK/Europe thing. They put it on the box but it only applies to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrokuy View Post

Wow. That sucks. Anyways, I'd recommend a 1.5GB GDDR5 65W NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M .
    How in any way does a 5770 suck? Sorry not everyone has money to blow on a card that does 0.5% better at a 400$ cost.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ZootCadillac View Post
    of the four XFX cards I have had 3 failed and XFX refused to honour the warranty on any of them, but that's a UK/Europe thing. They put it on the box but it only applies to the US.
    I guess that narrows the options down to just Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDreg View Post
    I guess that narrows the options down to just Nvidia.
    Cards usually dont have a problem if your processor is intel your set.

Rift Master

Default I would like some more opinions

6870 or 6950

?

Cards usually dont have a problem if your processor is intel your set.
    Well ya, my card is ati 5850, but I have an intel processor.. 0 problems

Quote Originally Posted by Erie View Post
    Well ya, my card is ati 5850, but I have an intel processor.. 0 problems
    Same here the above troller says every card is **** unless you have the to the month updated card.

Soulwalker

Grab a 1gb 460. That's what I ordered for my new build. They are very OC'able and remain cool at even high stress times.
    Adjudicator of the The Renegade Blade ( Mizuto, lvl 21 )

How in any way does a 5770 suck? Sorry not everyone has money to blow on a card that does 0.5% better at a 400$ cost.
    a 5770 is a fine budget card.

And a 6850 or a 460GTX is more than a 0.5% increase and those are only $200 cards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast