+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do MMOs have pretty and ugly factions?

Default Why do MMOs have pretty and ugly factions?

It's an odd dilemma. Kinda obvious here, the Defiant are kinda beaten up with an ugly stick one night, while the Guardians inherit the good looks. WoW does the same, either go alliance with the more attractive/cool races or go horde and get blood elves (which are actually the most attractive) and travel with a ton of ugly people. Aion did good at making asmos the "Perceived" ugly people with talons and glowing red eyes, but with their amazing character creation it's really about the only even game. Well, that and City of Heroes, hero, villain, praetorian, doesn't matter, they all use same exact features. Eve makes ugly races, and for some races they have it takes a lot of work to make some girls look decent. The sad part is, all the ugly races/factions are the more "Evil" or "Socially unacceptable" than anybody who is pretty. I put evil in quotes because I know they are not exactly evil but they are easily perceived as such. So why do game devs have to make the factions that are easier to classify as evil, ugly? Do they have issues making seductive "evil" people?

I know I'm ranting but I'm mad curious as to why they do that.

imho guardian's are the ugly faction. aside from male bahmi's. defiants, especially females, look much, much better imo. that is why i'm qutting my guard char :/

edit: just read the rest of your post..

"blood elves are the most attractive", well I guess there is something wrong with you.. you liked coked out anorexic sl*ts :/ and now i'm leaving this thread
    Last edited by EerieWrath; 01-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Shadowlander

WoW does the same, either go alliance with the more attractive/cool races or go horde and get blood elves (which are actually the most attractive) and travel with a ton of ugly people.
    Humans = Yawn..Oh look another white man...again...
    Night Elves = Females have a stripper dance...thats all I can think of for them.
    Gnomes = Funny animations, good to kick around.
    Dorfs = Used just to make people stop and think "Why the hell would you roll such an ugly thing?"
    Draenei = Males that have no sense of balance and female goats...BAHHHH
    Worgen = Twilight Fans which = 12 year old girls laying on their beds dreaming about Edward (Yes, its a reference to Zero Punctuation! :P).

Horde:
    Undead = Freaky looking, awesome animations.
    Orcs = Mutated Humans..whats not awesome about mutants!?
    Belfs = Can anyone sing YMCA? If you are, clearly you play a belf male then and you are male!
    Trolls = Jamaicans that aren't on the puff puff 24/7.
    Goblins = Italian mob bosses.
    Taurens = Walking upright cows...how is that not attractive...especially the females...*swoons*

--

You read too much into stuff I suspect.
    Last edited by Sinrei; 01-15-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Humans = Standard template, good animations - large variety of skin tones and hair.
    Night Elves = Males look top heavy, they all have pretty good animations.
    Gnomes = Crazy hair? Great for PvP.
    Dorfs = Dwarfs have a long history of cool back story and traits, from a number of different sources.
    Draenei = I agree, the males have horrible model design.
    Worgen = Believe it or not, Worgen - and werewolves in general - have been around MUCH longer than any twilight book or movie.

Horde:
    Undead = I thougt they were poorly done - some of the animations are quite good.
    Orcs = Like most Horde races, they would be cooler if they didn't hunch all the time.
    Belfs = I hate what they did with the Blood Elves, but at least they beefed them up a bit before launching TBC.
    Trolls = We get to play the super scrawny guys that are hunched over so badly that they're virtually sitting in mid-air. Cool combo of Mayan/Aztec/Caribbean culture.
    Goblins = Just plain cool, but terrible face options.
    Taurens = Minotaurs ftw - not a fan of the female models.

All comes down to personal preference really. I happen to also think that the male dwarf/high elf, male kelari and female bhami look terrible.

They're not really designed as ugly or pretty, just different.
    A foe without honor is a foe already beaten.

pretty= good
    bad = black
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

well ye pretty much
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Quote Originally Posted by EerieWrath View Post
    imho guardian's are the ugly faction. aside from male bahmi's. defiants, especially females, look much, much better imo. that is why i'm qutting my guard char :/

edit: just read the rest of your post..

"blood elves are the most attractive", well I guess there is something wrong with you.. you liked coked out anorexic sl*ts :/ and now i'm leaving this thread
    I agree, I like the aethetics on the Defiant side much more than the Guardians.

Perception varies, there is no 'ugly' faction.

+ Reply to Thread