+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Civility in Rift

Default Civility in Rift

I've been reading quite a few threads on the forums and I am just dumbfounded by the hostility. If people wanted to L2P Rift (a game still in closed beta, so there are no experts) where exactly would they go to do that?? Wouldn't it be a RIFT forum thread?
    Repeatedly telling someone they don't know what they're talking about without offering up some concise facts really accomplishes nothing.
    Most people post or speak about their experiences from their perspective and there are always 3 versions of a story. Your Version, My Version and The Truth. It would seem if many stepped back, took a breath, and thought of another way to phrase a response to a post we might all find that the community would almost be likeable.
    The entire country is having a debate about this very subject right now so it just seemed fitting to mention it. Personally, I'm going to try and remember that every avatar in game and handle on the forum represents a human being.
    Last edited by LoganK; 01-15-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
    I've been reading quite a few threads on the forums and I am just dumbfounded by the hostility. If people wanted to L2P Rift (a game still in closed beta, so there are no experts) where exactly would they go to do that?? Wouldn't it be a RIFT forum thread?
    Repeatedly telling someone they don't know what they're talking about without offering up some concise facts really accomplishes nothing.
    Most people post or speak about their experiences from their perspective and there are always 3 versions of a story. Your Version, My Version and The Truth. It would seem if many stepped back, took a breath, and thought of another way to phrase a response to a post we might all find that the community would almost be likeable.
    The entire country is having a debate about this very subject right now so it just seemed fitting to mention it. Personally, I'm going to try and remember that every avatar in game and handle on the forum represents a human being.
    I agree with everything you said except for one thing: there are only two versions of a story since my version also happens to be the truth. :P

It's elitism at its finest. I doubt it is going to change although hopefully it will. I've not witnessed the hostility you're speaking of personally, but I'm sure it's out there. People usually only get hostile on those annoying threads where people decide they have to tell the entire community they won't be playing (cause we care) or when they provide criticism in a negative manner towards Trion.

Best thing to do is just not partake in the negative talk. And if you do, make it fun. :P

I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you I still have a country. (Captain Blythe)
    In war (and PvP) it's not who's right, it's who's left.
    I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next

And this, my friends is why I created this post...

The post linked in my signature

It may also be that tensions are up, and much of the rift population is in withdrawal.

meh. It's not like hostility in forums is good, but it's nothing new. I think this forum is a little better about stopping it at snipping and not going far far too far with the fighting.

By and large you have some really good people and a couple bad eggs. It happens. I used to run guild forums back in the day, so you see this kind of thing all the time. It is human nature. Some people just like to look like idiots...

This forum is a LOT better than most of the forums I have been to in my time. Granted at this time of the night, we cannot expect many mods to be up at all... it's like midnight their time... They gotta sleep sometime. So you have people like myself, and many others who post on people's threads that are making duplicates, or really not contributing anything at all to the forums... and get looked upon like forum police. It's common sense though... we all have been around forums enough to know... don't repeat post, don't antagonize, etc etc.

Contrary to popular belief, my goal is NOT to have the most posts... I just like to communicate with people.

Anyways... I gotta sleep sometime too... so I am calling it a night, and wishing all of YOU an awesome rest of the night.

/report is your friend.

Champion of Telara

Well the community went through a massive growing time in December/January. In that time got a huge influx of people with different ideas than what most of the people had that were already here. Before December things were very civil and actually was amazed when there was a disagreement people talked about it politely. I'm not saying all are bad of course, but a lot of the trash talking/flaming/bad mouthing/whatever seems like it's been from december/january joinees, which will happen as a population grows you'll see more people speaking up.

Having said that, I have high hopes for the community of this game once it launches and things settle down. You'll have those bad mouthing the game or saying it's a clone of whatever game going back to said game and we'll be left with just the people who just simply enjoy the game.

For the most part, the people here seem to be pretty nice. Naturally, there are jerks that pop up every now and then, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the community. I'm all for a good debate, one where people have polarizing opinions and support those opinions in a mature, respectful fashion. Keeps things interesting and occasionally opens your eyes to other points of view. Generally speaking, if someone comes across a lil' bit snarky, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt (hard to read inflection ^.^). But if someone is really being a jerk, I usually just leave the thread and possibly report that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
    And this, my friends is why I created this post...

The post linked in my signature
    Nice thread. ^.^
    Nymaeria < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Cleric (Sentinel/Warden/Justicar) on Briarcliff
    Rhendali < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Rogue (Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Ranger) on Briarcliff

Thing to remember: it's usually the worst of us that are the most vocal... it's why I talk so much But really you'll notice more of the jerks because they like to talk more. The vast majority of the population is good people, though.
    Last edited by Trion_Community; 01-18-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language - Warning issued on another post

I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you I still have a country. (Captain Blythe)
    In war (and PvP) it's not who's right, it's who's left.
    I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next

Quote Originally Posted by Aryt View Post
    It may also be that tensions are up, and much of the rift population is in withdrawal.
    This. They'll feel better once they can play again.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
    The entire country is having a debate about this very subject right now so it just seemed fitting to mention it.
    Uuuuuuugh.

The entire country is having a debate about this very subject right now so it just seemed fitting to mention it.

That sounds rather ironic, since most debate seems to consist of blaming the other guy, calling him names, and trying to slip fallacies past the mods.
    Last edited by Selgin; 01-17-2011 at 07:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

This is actually one of the better-behaved forums. Some game forums I've been to should require for you to wear flame-resistant clothes and asbestos skivvies to enter.
    Last edited by n1ghtfallz; 01-17-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    "...sometimes a single act can be so evil it can curse the world, unraveling the future"

+ Reply to Thread