+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Blizzard's World of Warcraft Tank another 800k subscription loss!

Plane Touched

Default Blizzard's World of Warcraft Tank another 800k subscription loss!

They blamed it on the playerbase that they consumed content too quickly despite only releasing 1 raid and 2 dungeons in a whole year. Right, the playerbases fault.

Trion's stance on releasing a steady flow of content will look mighty attractive in the market place, whether you like Rift or not, for whatever reasons, they are quite respectable in the sense that you see where your money is going.

Keep pushing Trion, kick them while they're down! >:D

Pio

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by prsc View Post
    They blamed it on the playerbase that they consumed content too quickly despite only releasing 1 raid and 2 dungeons in a whole year. Right, the playerbases fault.

Trion's stance on releasing a steady flow of content will look mighty attractive in the market place, whether you like Rift or not, for whatever reasons, they are quite respectable in the sense that you see where your money is going.

Keep pushing Trion, kick them while they're down! >
    It is expected. With over 50% of the player base from Asia it was eventually going to start dipping. The Panda release will have some off wow for a bit as well.

Of course the 1yr for a free Diablo III will grant them a reprieve of sorts. At best D3 is a $60.00 game (about 4 months game time).

What will hurt is Rift content, GW2, Rift, and others stepping in during the hemorrage. If they can foster a strong community it will be harder to go back.

Personally I am done with wow. Rift broke the curse.

Oh WOW! That is a long time old signature - Should I update that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pio View Post
    It is expected. With over 50% of the player base from Asia it was eventually going to start dipping. The Panda release will have some off wow for a bit as well.

Of course the 1yr for a free Diablo III will grant them a reprieve of sorts. At best D3 is a $60.00 game (about 4 months game time).

What will hurt is Rift content, GW2, Rift, and others stepping in during the hemorrage. If they can foster a strong community it will be harder to go back.

Personally I am done with wow. Rift broke the curse.
    Rift broke the curse for me too.
    BLIZZARD: First off, it's important that everyone remembers that feedback needs to remain constructive... using profanity in your posts, no matter how strongly you may feel about something, is not appropriate.
    TRION: If something ****ing pisses someone off to the point of ****ing smashing their ****ing keyboard Hearing it in those words, helps.

agent smith, who works as a janitor at Trion, was quoted saying "they are the plague... and we... are the cure."

honestly though, activision dug its own grave. they completely destroyed a game i used to love more than any other game ive played, and im glad theyre going down.
    Last edited by TheDrizzle404; 11-08-2011 at 08:49 PM.

this made me go over to MMOchampion

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Ascendant

I have a couple WOW accounts active, one for my daughter and one for me to play the Panda beta but I really doubt I will ever play WOW as my main game again, its not WOW's fault I just played it way too long and they did too many things to classes I loved, gutted them.

I'd still be there if certain things had not ever been changed.

Anyway, I like RIFT now But I normally keep game subs active for a while after I quit!!

Soulwalker

I must admit, I was overjoyed to read about this today. 10% subscriber loss in a quarter! lol!! At this rate of attrition there will be noone left playing in 2.5 years. And to think the real haemorrhaging hasnt even started yet. Wait until SWTOR and GW2 are both out.

I personally think Rift will be able to weather the storm when those two games are released *providing they keep up their fine effort of releasing new content regularly*. WoW and their Pandaland? I'm not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by eyedol47 View Post
    I personally think Rift will be able to weather the storm when those two games are released *providing they keep up their fine effort of releasing new content regularly*. WoW and their Pandaland? I'm not so sure...
    rift is proving to be very strong in the PvE and dynamic content market, but after doing some more research, ill probably hit up GW2 for my pvp fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    honestly though, activision dug its own grave. they completely destroyed a game i used to love more than any other game ive played, and im glad theyre going down.
    This. Plus: "Most of the subscriptions were lost in China."

Didn't Cataclysm just release in China in June? Honestly, that expansion is poison. It's what caused me to quit and apparently a lot of others too.

Rift Disciple

The interesting part for people talking about subs lost to GW2 is that GW2 is B2P. You buy it and play for free, people have the option to keep subbing their game of choice. Personally, I will keep my rift sub, I am already paying for it, why not. But the deal breaker on keeping a sub AND playing free all depends on time in game.

If I am just logging into my MMO of choice because I have a sub, I'm dropping the sub. Right now, Trion has me convinced that I need to keep my sub, so I can log in and have fun. There isn't another sub game out that would keep me when GW2 comes out, and I am a GW fanatic. Having 2 games to occupy my time at the price of 1 sub is very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    lol Cho.. but I love to grind.. Last night while golfing with friends.. I repeated the same 2 foot putt for par 501 times.. My friends thought I was nuts, but I told them I'm gearing up for the next hole..

Telaran

Let's be honest here. Activision Blizzard is a multi-million gaming conglomerate and I hardly believe that these are mostly Chinese subscriptions for a lot of reasons. I am basically going to list the basic reason below why the subscriptions are dropping.

World of Warcraft was released in 2004 to a population that was mostly people coming from Everquest and slightly after Final Fantasy XI released I believe. The release was perfect as it picked up people from Everquest, Final Fantasy XI that couldn't handle how the game first was and it picked up a lot of young gamers just beginning high school and those just starting college.

Flash foward to 2011 and all the people that picked up World of Warcraft are getting into their graduate years, or focusing on their careers. And with the economy the way it is, a lot of people don't have all the free time anymore and are devoting it to getting back into school, finding a job. I believe this to be the true reason why people are leaving the gigantic MMO. But World of Warcraft is not the only MMO company suffering in my opinion.

Now, they have lost millions of subscribers but it really doesn't matter. Final Fantasy XI survives on 300,000 subscribers a month, Everquest is still around; people still play Warhammer Online. People actually are growing up due to Worldwide circumstances and are moving off of MMOs. It has been a trend that has been slowly happening for quite a few years now.

Poor performance of Cataclysm had its part in motivating people to just leave now and get back into the Real World; it would be stupid to think otherwise. It's almost as if society as a whole is becoming more responsible in a sense. Whether it's a good thing or not, I guess we'll see in 2-5 years. With that said I used to spend hours upon hours playing games, but now... not so much. Life happened.

Life is happening for a lot of people around the World lately these days. But hey that is my opinion, take it anyway you want.
    Last edited by Erusidhion; 11-08-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladea View Post
    This. Plus: "Most of the subscriptions were lost in China."

Didn't Cataclysm just release in China in June? Honestly, that expansion is poison. It's what caused me to quit and apparently a lot of others too.
    That's why you use a wow elf avatar right?

Personally, I like having WOW where it is. It keeps all the snerts busy in their Skinner Boxes, leaving us to game in peace. The last thing I want is the brain dead, mouth breathing style of morons that call wow a good game, over here whining that they don't have capes, flying mounts, tabards, or christmas hats. Better yet, I don't want them over here trolling to destroy the game in the name of 'pvp.'

PVP in any MMORPG is a farce, a joke, and I deride and ridicule anyone who claims otherwise. While conceptually entertaining, it will never, ever, ever be balanced or competitive without destroying the game environment outside of 'pvp,' at which point the game ceases to be an MMORPG and becomes something else entirely. That's what destroyed WoW, because they tried to pander to people crying on their forums that rogues/warlocks/paladins/etc are too OP. I loved WOW up until they implemented Arenas. I watched as the game crumbled through continued flogging during BC. Raiding suffered dramatically - no more fun fights like Razorgore, Nefarian, or C'thun - instead we wound up saddled with a bunch of tank n spank fights because people *****ed about how hard it is to get out of the fire. Then, as if giving us all these loot pinatas wasn't enough to hand out free epics they started awarding raid level gear to people who lost in battlegrounds and arenas.

I walked away long before Wrath of the ***** King, but I decided to go back and give it a try - a friend had told me that they had fixed the balance of the game and it was like it was in Vanilla. Hah, what BS - within a week I was duoing the level 80 heroics with my Paladin and my friend's DK. It was stupid.

WoW became a joke. I quit then, and have never looked back with even mild interest. It is, at this point, beyond redemption. All the same, I would love it to keep its current playbase, only because I don't want to play with the type of people who destroyed WOW - I want them to stay in their burnt out little sand castle and leave me to play in mine without them whinging that x, y, or z soul is roflstomping them and its not fair and nerf bards because their dps is crazy.

So I don't cheer for WOW losing subscribers. I fear and loath what comes next.
    "Can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    Of dying authors burning books? Was a problem what they wrote
    The flag is hard to read, all flags look the same
    Covered in the blood of the faithless and insane"
    Operation Ivy - Missionary

Blizzard doesn't really care. After all, their main focus is "Titan" now.

As for GW2, like said, it is B2P thus it won't cause immediate loss of subscribers. However, it will cause people to make judgments on the cost of subscriptions. After all, if both games offer the same thing, but one's free, what do you think will happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladea View Post
    Plus: "Most of the subscriptions were lost in China."
    It's because of the legalized gold selling (the pet you can buy for $10 then trade in-game). They're all out of a job. Or at least, that's the joke I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by DepricatedZero View Post
    or christmas hats.
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Keydric View Post
    The interesting part for people talking about subs lost to GW2 is that GW2 is B2P. You buy it and play for free, people have the option to keep subbing their game of choice. Personally, I will keep my rift sub, I am already paying for it, why not. But the deal breaker on keeping a sub AND playing free all depends on time in game.

If I am just logging into my MMO of choice because I have a sub, I'm dropping the sub. Right now, Trion has me convinced that I need to keep my sub, so I can log in and have fun. There isn't another sub game out that would keep me when GW2 comes out, and I am a GW fanatic. Having 2 games to occupy my time at the price of 1 sub is very nice!
    I was under the impression that GW2 was going to be subscription based.
    "Can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    Of dying authors burning books? Was a problem what they wrote
    The flag is hard to read, all flags look the same
    Covered in the blood of the faithless and insane"
    Operation Ivy - Missionary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast