+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Do you admit youre a gamer to people?

Rift Master

Default Do you admit youre a gamer to people?

Some polls are saying that gamers are shamefull of their pastime. Would you have a problem admitting to people you dont know, that you are a gamer?

Soulwalker

Just the other day, I went into work late. When I got there, someone asked me if I was feeling well? I told them yeah, I was up until 6 am playing RIFT.

Soulwalker

Who isnt a gamer nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
    Some polls are saying that gamers are shamefull of their pastime. Would you have a problem admitting to people you dont know, that you are a gamer?
    Lol. Always have been. Always will be. Have never cared what other people think of me. Letting other people's opinions control your life is a recipe for misery.
    Guardians:
    PR90 Smugjugs@Seastone (Briarcliff/Sunrest/Deepstrike/Dayblind)
    50 Unnamed@Seastone (Previously Bellicosa)

38 Scataracts@Seastone

50 Witchtits@Seastone (Defiant pending faction change)

When I tell people I am a gamer and play MMORPG's I am often surprised that some people too tell me they play them also.
    Online since 1994. MajorMud, UO, EQ 1/2, AC 1/2 DAOC, Earth and Beyond, Anarchy Online, Horizons, SWG, Lineage 2, WoW, LOTR, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek Online, RIFT!

admit it? i brag about it.

Being an older than average player, and a business owner.. No I don't. Because while the younger generation may have come to acceptance my generation and older hasn't.
    Don't shame yourself by being trivial.

I've got no problem letting people know I'm a gamer, and have been for a long time, both pro, dev, amateur and all the flavours in between over a couple of decades.

Sure, people may think its weird, but meh, I think its weird that people seem to relish running up the street into on coming traffic wearing really dodgy lycra shorts and sweat bands looking like an early 80's "flashdance" version of the kind of freak you'd warn your kids to stay away from.

We have our own sports leagues, we even have tv shows about them.

Unlike non gamers, my "sports" don't require that people with specific needs enter and compete in their own private little league (unless you count wow players) and anyone can take part on a pretty even footing regardless of the various body parts they employ to run the game.

My sports don't require me to get stupidly sweaty for 90 minutes, and if I want to play for a few hours, there's no problem with that. Oh and the only performance enhancing drug you'll find most gamers touching is caffiene.

Sure I don't get the respect some sports star's get, but in the right competitions I can make the same money, and without the risk of doing any greater damage to myself than maybe hurting my wrists or getting a bit of eye strain. I also don't have to dodge paparazzi or worry about wether "what happened in that club that night" is ever going to rear its ugly head in the news and end up with me getting the sack over it.

My hobby, lifestyle choice, whatever you want to call it, is far more flexible than most alternatives too. If I want to have a few dozen people crash my place we can lan party or break out the Wii or Konnect. We can have fun together, and then when everyones gone, I can put it away and jump back on the pc or whatever. You can't do that with rock climbing, and you'd only do that with stamp collecting if you wanted to clear the place out. Like watersports? great, but I doubt your tub is big enough for all your mates to mess about jet ski'ing in...

No, I've got no issues telling people I'm a gamer, I get most of the rewards, none of the downsides, and I get to do it all with mates around the world, from the comfort of my chair, its not exclusive and for less money than a cheap night out I can go explore whole worlds, instead of just running round the same track or couple of hundred yards of turf.
    Pyrotess the Insomniac - "Stop shooting at me! Do you know how much these robes cost to dry clean?!"

My boss tells me I have to come in Sunday night at 8:00. I tell him I can't come in till Midnight. He asks why and I tell him I have my league games. He asks if its Bowling and I say no its Video Games. His head turns sideways and he looks at me like I am stupid.

I have no problems at all admitting to being an avid gamer, especially since I have a few trophies in my display case to show I am pretty good at it but it sure is a very hard hobby to explain to people.
    “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” - Ambrose Redmoon

Champion of Telara The Real Viz Shady's Avatar

Yeah, I down play it. I'm too old to be playing video games they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalura View Post
    My boss tells me I have to come in Sunday night at 8:00. I tell him I can't come in till Midnight. He asks why and I tell him I have my league games. He asks if its Bowling and I say no its Video Games. His head turns sideways and he looks at me like I am stupid.

I have no problems at all admitting to being an avid gamer, especially since I have a few trophies in my display case to show I am pretty good at it but it sure is a very hard hobby to explain to people.
    i think its harder to explain other hobbies.

"would you like to go for a run danny?"
    "why? are we being chased?"

I don't have cable tv and don't watch television. So when people ask me if I watch so and so show I tell them no I don't watch tv. They are always surprised and ask what I do. I say I play online games, and I rather be interacting with someone or something instead of sitting on a couch doing nothing.
    Online since 1994. MajorMud, UO, EQ 1/2, AC 1/2 DAOC, Earth and Beyond, Anarchy Online, Horizons, SWG, Lineage 2, WoW, LOTR, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek Online, RIFT!

Default We get no respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalura View Post

I have a co-worker who does MMA. My job let's him off work 2 hours early every Sunday to go train, and even goes as far letting him call out of work for 3 days when he gets his butt kicked. But let me ask to get off 30 minutes early so I can make my 9 o'clock raid time and I get the same looks you do. Never been ashamed to admit I'm a gamer. But people looking down on you for it is unacceptable!
    Last edited by Otakuoni; 11-08-2011 at 09:03 AM.

I also brag about it!

I am a 44 year old Physician...my younger patients think I am kewl...til I pwn them in PvP...doh

I also lift weights and ride bike though, so I am healthy and fit... and play Rockband 3 pro drums (ranked in the top 50 in the Xbox 360 world... lol).

I have a R8 T3 geared rogue and a fresh 50 mage =D.

I'm a proud 3rd Generation Gamer

My father was a gamer before me, and his father before him. I come from a line of gamers, and remember being weened on D&D as a small child with my family.
    Last edited by DepricatedZero; 11-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    "Can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    Of dying authors burning books? Was a problem what they wrote
    The flag is hard to read, all flags look the same
    Covered in the blood of the faithless and insane"
    Operation Ivy - Missionary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast