+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couch Co-op Recommendations

Plane Touched

Default Couch Co-op Recommendations

I know that a lot of you exist in a world where "friends" mean anyone that's available on Steam or Xbox Live at 2am on a Saturday night. And that's not an insult, either, because at least you can hang out with people and share common interests without wearing pants and no one will call you a glutton for washing down nine soft tacos with a bowl of tapioca pudding. I've done it, and it's been a blast. But something was always missing: company.

Nothing beats sitting on the couch (pants optional) with a gaming friend and burning through a killer co-op experience together. And fortunately for you a handful of games have come out recently which will act as a marriage counselor for your otherwise failing and disconnected friendships. Assume everything I talk about supports at least 2 player couch co-op (that means local on one system). Also, you're welcome.

Dungeon Defenders (XBLA)
    Combine tower defense with RPG elements. It's a cartoon art style (the characters are literally children) but plenty of explosions, death, and dismemberment. It's fun and frantic.

More Information >>

It's 15 bucks. You can afford that.

LOTR: War in the North (XBOX)
    Yet another romp through Tolkien's universe with couch co-op. This time with fatalities, three classes, experience, tons of loot, skill trees, and other fun things. Not the best game ever for this kind of thing, but it gets the job done. Only drawback is that it's $60 which is pretty steep unless you have a lot of time and a friend with the same. When he/she isn't around though, you can do online 3 player co-op through the entire campaign as well.

More Information >>

Call of Duty 3 (XBOX)
    Yeah, I know. You're going to have to put down your Shortsword of Dragon's Balls and pick up a grenade launcher, but this game is living up to the hype. Strong emphasis on Co-op. Not sure how to summarize this game without sounding obvious. You shoot things with or without a friend. And yes, there are some RPG elements like unlocking new guns, abilities, etc. Also, for those of you that are wondering I own Battlefield 3 and it's pretty bad especially since there is no local co-op.

More Information >>

I'm going to stop the list there, but that should keep you busy for a while unless you have severe ADD or you're a 14 year old korean kid living in a Starcraft Training Camp in which case you can probably beat all of these games in seven minutes.

Keep in mind there are also a handful of killer co-op games coming out before the end of the year. But what the hell - most of you are just going to play Skyrim on Friday anyway until you have no friends to co-op with in the first place. Oh well. Hope this helps.

Rift Chaser Talking The Hardest's Avatar

Resident Evil 5. It's actually ALOT harder co-op than it is single player, since you'll both burn through ammo quicker and you can't use your 2nd backpack NPC(let's face it, they rarely took a shot, even on bosses).

Borderlands. This game is brilliant and even to this day me and mates will stick it in the xbox and go tear up pandora.
    Softest@Blightweald
    Quote Originally Posted by Noge View Post
    Softest best bard EU
    Co-Leader of the worlds #1 Alt/PuG raid - iFAP

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Talking The Hardest View Post
    Resident Evil 5. It's actually ALOT harder co-op than it is single player, since you'll both burn through ammo quicker and you can't use your 2nd backpack NPC(let's face it, they rarely took a shot, even on bosses).

Borderlands. This game is brilliant and even to this day me and mates will stick it in the xbox and go tear up pandora.
    I was trying to focus on more recent releases, but I agree on both games. RE5 was brutal though, and you really need a friend that's very competent to actually beat it. I never could find one.

Borderlands is pure art, but it's been out a while and my friends and I have exhausted it including all of the DLCs. If anyone hasn't rocked some Borderlands with a buddy, you've really missed out.

I only have a small love seat, may as well ask my friends if they want to snuggle while we're at it. Not to mention I haven't bought a console system since Dreamcast.

I think I'll stick with pc. We each have our favorite comfortable computer chair and we don't have to share a screen. And seeing that those titles are on pc as well I guess I'm not missing out on anything.

Champion

I'd agree with the idea if I knew anyone with whom to share a game, who also lived closer to me than 400 miles away.

+ Reply to Thread