+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good offline PC title - Similiar to old FF or HOMM setup. ROTK setup.

Rift Disciple

Default Looking for a good offline PC title - Similiar to old FF or HOMM setup. ROTK setup.

Read title. Was wondering if anyone had any special ideas in mind like Chrono Trigger, Older Final Fantasies 1-9, Heroes of Might and Magic 1-3 or Romance of the Three kingdoms. I like turn based and ATB gauges and things. I've come to realize that may be why no MMO ever lives up to my expectations, I hate button mashers point blank and I couldn't stand any MMORPG but Guild Wars. So I'm looking for a new Final Fantasy Tactics or HOMM, Romance of the Three kingdoms. I'm working on getting an emulator for PSP to play some Valkyrie Profile. Any other ideas? I've beaten Fire Emblem as well.

By offline I mean anything playable on a computer, emulated or not.
    Last edited by Booface; 11-07-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, you can probably find it on ebay.

I designed a lot of maps for the game that you can find here:

http://aow2.heavengames.com/download...arch=alex+mars
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Legend of Legaia (PSX)
    Wild Arms (PSX)
    Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
    Breath of Fire 3 (PSX)
    Grandia (PSX) <--- This one is a personal favorite of mine

They can be played via emulator and are quite good games that if you liked Final Fantasys 1-9 you will probably enjoy. Some other suggestions I have (though I haven't played through them myself yet in their entirety) are :

Lunar Silver Star Story (PSX)
    Lunar Eternal Blue (PSX)
    Breath of Fire 4 (PSX)

I don't know if there are emulators for Gamecube but if there are, I highly recommend Skies of Arcadia Legends. It is a port of the game Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast but it has more stuff in it and a much more forgiving encounter rate.

Hopefully at least one of the above games is a good fit for you. I'll try to think of what games I have at home since about 40% of them are RPGs.
    Last edited by Vyxagallanxchi; 11-07-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, you can probably find it on ebay.

I designed a lot of maps for the game that you can find here:

http://aow2.heavengames.com/download...arch=alex+mars

They have it on steam for 5 bucks. I'm checking it out now. It reminds me alot of Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI and a mix with Heroes. It looks like a multi-unit DnD dungeon crawler, its pretty fun actually, could see myself wasting some times during my turn based gaming here.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Booface; 11-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    Legend of Legaia (PSX)
    Wild Arms (PSX)
    Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
    You just brought me back YEARS with those 3 titles man. Those were such excellent games. Legend of Legaia I remember the bonus preview disc included in a game I got and then I went out and bought the actual game when it was released. Legend of Dragoon always had a freeze for me, and one day about 5 years after I originally got the game I found a copy for 4 dollars in a store and bought it, put it in, and used the memory block I had saved and bam, this 2nd disc worked unlike the original I had gotten.

I liked the Wild Arms series on PS2, so much that I traded my FFVII for a couple days to play them after I had lost my originals.

Ascendant

There is a new HOMM VI just released. have you tried that?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Glamour View Post
    There is a new HOMM VI just released. have you tried that?
    Its too expensive for me now, but I've taken a look at it. I can wait it out until its not 50-60 dollars anymore.

Also - It requires a constant internet connection to utilize the new setup of the 'Dynasty' traits although the almost Ronin ability to play and stats/character development is really cool.
    Last edited by Booface; 11-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I have HOMM 3 and 4 from Good Old Games.

I got V, and I played it for about 10 minutes, maybe 15. But the thing where the diagnostic at the end of every turn was "Not enought movement points" (note typo) really put me off, and then Ubisoft turned seriously bad to their players. Soo.... No more HOMM for me unless Ubisoft sells it to someone I'm willing to give money to.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Booface View Post
    You just brought me back YEARS with those 3 titles man. Those were such excellent games. Legend of Legaia I remember the bonus preview disc included in a game I got and then I went out and bought the actual game when it was released. Legend of Dragoon always had a freeze for me, and one day about 5 years after I originally got the game I found a copy for 4 dollars in a store and bought it, put it in, and used the memory block I had saved and bam, this 2nd disc worked unlike the original I had gotten.

I liked the Wild Arms series on PS2, so much that I traded my FFVII for a couple days to play them after I had lost my originals.
    I'm glad
    I grew up on those games. Heck, Legend of Dragoon when I got it for Christmas when I was 9 years old was the first time I ever pulled an all-nighter lol.

Also, some other titles that might interest you :
    Quest 64 (N64) Fun game but it's not as big on the dialogue and storytelling as most RPGs.
    Jade Cocoon (PSX) I haven't played this one in a LONG time but I remember it was pretty good.
    Golden Sun series (GBA and NDS) Sadly I never got to play much of these as my DS got broken during my move-in to college but I've heard lots of good things from friends about this series.

And I'll have to really recommend you try Grandia since you liked those other games. It's an amazing game from the golden age of RPGs
    Last edited by Vyxagallanxchi; 11-07-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Rift Disciple

I'm already going hunting with the adults you know what I'm saying

I would add Star Ocean 1 and 2 to this list as well for anyone else reading. I already have 1-4 on Console, no emulator needed for me but there is a SOLID story throughout all 4 of them if you pay attention to the theme and ignore the people who say its all plot holes or twists. You can tell from 1 there is an alternate dimension, 2 gets more into that with the "programmed" 10 Wise Men who are sent to 'destroy the galaxy code' and 3 lets you step through the I'm gonna stop spoiling it but it also has excellent gameplay, replayability, and I honestly prefer 2 over FF7. It came out about the same time but Star Ocean 2 was excellent in terms of games. Just excellent.
    Last edited by Booface; 11-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Another good TB game is Fantasy Wars, a 3D remake of the classic Fantasy General.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Another good TB game is Fantasy Wars, a 3D remake of the classic Fantasy General.
    Looks like it has an epic amount of units per land area.

I'm already going hunting with the adults you know what I'm saying

I would add Star Ocean 1 and 2 to this list as well for anyone else reading. I already have 1-4 on Console, no emulator needed for me but there is a SOLID story throughout all 4 of them if you pay attention to the theme and ignore the people who say its all plot holes or twists. You can tell from 1 there is an alternate dimension, 2 gets more into that with the "programmed" 10 Wise Men who are sent to 'destroy the galaxy code' and 3 lets you step through the I'm gonna stop spoiling it but it also has excellent gameplay, replayability, and I honestly prefer 2 over FF7. It came out about the same time but Star Ocean 2 was excellent in terms of games. Just excellent.
    I was gonna recommend those to you but I wasn't sure if you liked the battle system since they don't have turn-based or ATB battles. Definitely agree with you here about how good they are, I absolutely love Star Ocean 2. It had everything. Awesome story, amazing characters some good hard bosses (3rd boss battle from the final one drove me up the wall my first time playing the game), and really really good music. Damnit... now I wanna go play it again lol.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post

I don't know if there are emulators for Gamecube but if there are, I highly recommend Skies of Arcadia Legends. It is a port of the game Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast but it has more stuff in it and a much more forgiving encounter rate.

All they have is the original, which is good. I hated Devil May Cry 3: Easy Mode for bad players AKA Devil May Cry 3: Dantes Napping.

http://www.emuparadise.me/Sega_Dream...of_Arcadia/171
    Last edited by Booface; 11-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.

All they have is the original, which is good. I hated Devil May Cry 3: Easy Mode for bad players AKA Devil May Cry 3: Dantes Napping.

http://www.emuparadise.me/Sega_Dream...of_Arcadia/171
    Well, the original is still amazing. It just doesn't have bounties, the Moonfish / Angel of Death sidequest/story and quite as many discoveries to make. As for difficulty, that is entirely up to how you play the game and do the battles (and I'm not talking powerleveling here).

Still, do give it a try. It's a fun game.

As a side note, the picture for my Avatar is a character from Skies of Arcadia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast