+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Fitness Gurus Out There?

Default Any Fitness Gurus Out There?

This may be a bit more off-topic than the Off-Topic forum intended, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try anyway! =D Basically, I'm looking for some sort of exercise to do (or a sport to learn) and I'm running out of ideas as to what to pick. I'm not overweight, but my daily movement consists of little more than walking back and forth between my kitchen and my computer, which cannot possibly be a good thing. If anyone feels like helping out, here's my list of yays and nays for excercise choices:

Yays:
    1. Competition! My motivation stinks, so having someone to compete against (or a goal to strive for external to myself) would be of great help.
    2. Good balance of strength, agility, and speed training. If I must choose amongst them, I would rather have the speed and agility than the strength.
    3. Wide range of motion. Sitting in one spot doing a repetitious movement is fine, but I would prefer to also have a type of training that improves balance while in motion.
    4. Cheap! The less equipment I need, the better.

Nays:
    1. Hard on the knees. I have flat feet and, recently, knee pains, so things such as running or DDR are out of the question. I also need shoes on at all times so I cannot join something like aikido, which requires you to be barefoot when on the mat.
    2. Something you cannot practice alone, like ballroom dancing.
    3. Swimming. I know it's supposed to be the best, but sadly, it is not an option at this time.
    4. Anything where a ball flies at my face is not preferable.
    5. Expensive things! I do not own a Kinect or exercise equipment. Small expenses are fine.

That's it! Thank you for reading this post. Feel free to make any off-the-wall suggestion you can think of; mostly, I just don't know where to start looking, so any idea that fits the criteria would help.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

For what it's worth, confronted with a similar problem, we eventually settled on making swimming an option.

... So I've been parking in the driveway for a few months and we put a swimming pool in our garage, and we are just now taking the pool down for the winter.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

p90x .

Join a local gym, and make yourself go for an hour every couple days Don't need to buy the equipment, and they often have fitness people to offer suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    5. Expensive things! I do not own a Kinect or exercise equipment. Small expenses are fine.
    I wouldn't necessarily discount the Kinect if you already have a 360...might run right around $200 for the Kinect and the game, but that's a one-time expense and additional equipment like Dumbells is optional (I only have one pair to use with it, don't need more than that).

Gym memberships add-up after a while, as do club/sport memberships if you aren't teaching yourself. P90x is one of the best out there, but the program alone runs $120 plus $20 for shipping, and that doesn't include any additional equipment you'll most likely need...another expense that can add up quickly.

If you're set on cheaper though, cardio kickboxing type programs (Billy Blanks Bootcamp set comes to mind, assuming they still sell it, for a non-continuous cost) might be a good program with which to start...track yourself with an app or on fitocracy for external motivation.

Search craigslist for equipment as well. You'd be surprised how many people buy things and then fail to ever use them. I got a 75lb punching bag with a full size stand plus speed bag attachment for $60. Been keeping my eye out for a treadmill that can fold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    Search craigslist for equipment as well. You'd be surprised how many people buy things and then fail to ever use them. I got a 75lb punching bag with a full size stand plus speed bag attachment for $60. Been keeping my eye out for a treadmill that can fold up.
    Cheapest weights you can buy ?Here in AU you can buy Milk Bottles, Juice bottle etc. 2 Litre, 3 Litre, whatever works. Fill em up with water and you have nice cheep weights. Don't like water? Use sand.

There are plenty of exercises/work out plans you can find online to use with free weights.

Have fun!

P90x is great for at home. Also kickboxing/tae bo is quite nice if you take a class for it.

Default Good luck

Hi,

I'd check out http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/

Read their forums, see what others are doing, make your own goals, eat right and have fun!

+ Reply to Thread