+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help upgrading befor RIFT releases

Default need help upgrading befor RIFT releases

I need some help upgrading my PC before Rift is released. Its been sufficient to run WoW and beta 4 ran ok. My current setup is a Duo core 2.4Ghz with 2G ram and a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT. I cant afford a whole new computer at the moment. I'm currently running Vista but want to upgrade to Windows 7. Any suggestions where to get Windows 7? Is home edition Ok? Do I want the 64 or 32 bit version?

As for the video card, what would be a good upgrade for around $200? Any suggestions for where to get it as well?

Thanks

Your setup sounds identical to mine, it's what I got when AoC came out. Are you saying this is not good enough for RIFT?

Ascendant
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 01-15-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

tbh, I'm not sure....is it good enough for Rift? This just seemed like a good time to upgrade (if only Windows)

Plane Touched

Windows 7 is a very bad idea unless you expand from your 2 Gig to at least 4 Gig. The only thing windows 7 would do with 2 Gig is use up more of your resources actually making your system worse to play the game.

Your Video Card is going to be your best option at the moment. I would look at getting a NVidia GTX 460 or slightly better depending on your budget.

You really should upgrade to a Quad Core with 4 Gigs Memory and Motherboard. This upgrade will cost you about 500- 700 for an excellent I5 CPU.....the I7 is better but would be a little more.

After you get the above things then you really should upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit. Then toss in another 4-12 Gig of memory when you feel the need.

Depending on your power supply you may need a bigger one. You will need to check which one you have before you buy a Video Card.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevrian View Post
    I need some help upgrading ... Its been sufficient to run ... and beta 4 ran ok. ... a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT.
    Weren't there still graphical issues with the code in B4? I'd think the 9800 GT should still do ok. Granted lower or medium settings, but if money is really that tight you could just hold out until release and see what optimization is done.

Any suggestions where to get Windows 7? Is home edition Ok? Do I want the 64 or 32 bit version?
    I'd recommend you go for the Home Premium 64-bit OEM edition. You won't get phone support, but it's cheaper. As already mentioned though Win 7 will nom up your ram. I don't recommend it unless you've got at least 4 gig.

Note that if you are a student, which I'd guess you are, you may also quailify for a Student edition, which may be cheaper.

As for the video card, what would be a good upgrade for around $200?
    AMD XFX 6850 $185
    AMD XFX 6870 $240

Nvidia Evga GTX 460, 1 gig Superclocked $220

Any suggestions for where to get it as well?
    NewEgg, Amazon, Tiger Direct

My site can answer a lot of your questions in the future. Joo can peep it.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread