+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thinking of cancelling my SWTOR preorder...

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Tassels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default Thinking of cancelling my SWTOR preorder...

    To be honest, I never planned on really playing it much, just for the "story" (and keeping RIFT as my primary game). However, it seems that Origin is just too much of a hassle to be worth it. Is anybody else doing the same?


    The only thing stopping me from canceling at this time is that I am afraid that EA will go ahead and charge my account 20x like they did with some people who bought BF3 and stuff.
    Last edited by Tassels; 11-05-2011 at 02:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple Berethos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tassels View Post
    To be honest, I never planned on really playing it much, just for the "story" (and keeping RIFT as my primary game). However, it seems that Origin is just too much of a hassle to be worth it. Is anybody else doing the same?


    The only thing stopping me from canceling at this time is that I am afraid that EA will go ahead and charge my account 20x like they did with some people who bought BF3 and stuff.
    You only need Origin if you have the digital version or are going to take advantage of the Early Access. If you pre-ordered a physical copy, and don't mind waiting till the 20th, you won't have to deal with Origin.

    I pre-ordered my physical copy last month, so I don't expect more than a day or two at most with the Early Access option - I have no issue waiting those extra days if it means I don't have to deal with Origin.
    Last edited by Berethos; 11-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Tassels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos View Post
    You only need Origin if you have the digital version or are going to take advantage of the Early Access. If you pre-ordered a physical copy, and don't mind waiting till the 20th, you won't have to deal with Origin.

    I pre-ordered my physical copy last month, so I don't expect more than a day or two at most with the Early Access option - I have no issue waiting those extra days if it means I don't have to deal with Origin.
    I'm pretty sure both log in via Origin... The TOR account and Origin accounts are the same.

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara Morituri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    You don't need Origin in any shape or form to buy, download, or play the game. You also don't need it for early access.

    This information is available if you look at the FAQ instead of believing what you read in forums all the time.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Tassels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    You don't need Origin in any shape or form to buy, download, or play the game. You also don't need it for early access.

    This information is available if you look at the FAQ instead of believing what you read in forums all the time.
    Official FAQ: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#170974
    Will I require an Origin account in addition to a SWTOR account?

    Yes, you will require an active Origin account in addition to a Star Wars: The Old Republic account. You can create a new Origin account by going to the Origin Account Registration page, entering your email address in the appropriate space and clicking “Start my EA Profile.” This will take you to a screen where you can create your EA Master ID and set your password. You can also start a new Origin account by logging in with either your Facebook or PlayStation Network accounts, or by downloading and running the Origin client for the first time.
    Show me where it says otherwise, and I'll just cancel my digital preorder and get it off Amazon.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple Berethos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    You don't need Origin in any shape or form to buy, download, or play the game. You also don't need it for early access.

    This information is available if you look at the FAQ instead of believing what you read in forums all the time.
    Which FAQ? The pre-order one I have read doesn't mention how you will be able to download the game, either for early access or for post-release. It just says you will receive an email detailing how to do so.

    Add to the confusion the fact that the pre-order page at the SWTOR site has some fine print at the bottom that says:

    ONLINE DOWNLOAD OF THE PRODUCT REQUIRES ACCEPTANCE OF ORIGIN END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT AND INSTALLATION OF ORIGIN APPLICATION SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT).

    Which is in direct conflict with comments made in August and early October that Origin is not needed to download the game at all, even if you purchased it from Origin (notice it does not mention Early Access, so we have at best a non-confirmation regarding the Early Access time period).

    Oh I'm sorry...was I supposed to be crying wolf based on some trite piece of complaining from the forums? /sarcasm

    @OP: the sources I've seen indicated you do need an EA/Origin master account. If your issue with them includes being attached to them in any way, including via any type of overarching account (think Battlenet: SC2/WoW/D3)...then I don't know what to suggest.
    Last edited by Berethos; 11-05-2011 at 03:56 PM.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    398

    Default

    How exactly is Origin a hassle?

  8. #8
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
    How exactly is Origin a hassle?
    Imagine Steam, except it actively spies on your computer, uses a godawful amount of system resources, and signing up gives EA free license forever to screw with you.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched Tassels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Not to mention it has horrible outsourced customer support that can barely understand english, overcharges customers, and is trojanhorse-ing its way into all of EA's new games. Even the console ones in the future.


    Seriously, I already use Steam. If I want to use a digital service, it's gonna either be Steam, or straight from the dev. I am not interested in running a crappy Steam knockoff that has less features while being more intrusive.

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    398

    Default

    You need an Origin account. It says nothing about actually using the application. I fail to see how signing up for the account allows EA to "screw" with you. I've had an EA account for a while now (I believe I had to make one for Dragon Age: Origins) and nothing bad has ever come of it. Maybe you should just stop making excuses for a game you don't want to play.
    Last edited by Rayner; 11-05-2011 at 09:47 PM.

  11. #11
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
    You need an Origin account. It says nothing about actually using the application. I fail to see how signing up for the account allows EA to "screw" with you. I've had an EA account for a while now (I believe I had to make one for Dragon Age: Origins) and nothing bad has ever come of it. Maybe you should just stop making excuses for a game you don't want to play.
    Are you aware of the crap that Origin comes bundled with, that feeds information about you directly to EA? No, I don't mean "what are my system specs" like Steam does. I mean it routinely scans your damn hard-drive for objects of interest. That's why it takes so long to boot up. It's spying on you.

  12. #12
    General of Telara livnthedream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Are you aware of the crap that Origin comes bundled with, that feeds information about you directly to EA? No, I don't mean "what are my system specs" like Steam does. I mean it routinely scans your damn hard-drive for objects of interest. That's why it takes so long to boot up. It's spying on you.
    i have to agree with rayner on this one. ive had an ea master account for some time. already pre purchased swtor and went through all of the fuss of being ready for it. i have no background applications running, nor do i have anything boot up that i do not recognize when i boot up any of my ea games. even if as you say they are spying then its no different than the sheer amount of information that one gets from having a club card at your local supermarket.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara Sozu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Are you aware of the crap that Origin comes bundled with, that feeds information about you directly to EA? No, I don't mean "what are my system specs" like Steam does. I mean it routinely scans your damn hard-drive for objects of interest. That's why it takes so long to boot up. It's spying on you.
    Are you afraid all your midget p o r n is going to be exposed?

    I've been using Origin for a while now and while it's not on the level of Steam, it's really not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Yes Steam is FAR superior and if I can buy a game on steam, that's where I get it without questions. In my opinion, Origin is just there. It's not amazing, it's not bad, it's just there lol. I only start it up when I need it. So for Dragon Age 2, or Battlefield 3.

    On a side note...I have yet to pre-order SWTOR but not by choice. For some reason paypal is not a method of payment for SWTOR only. ALL other games I've bought on Origin have been with paypal. I dont understand why I cannot use paypal to preorder SWTOR.
    Last edited by Sozu; 11-06-2011 at 05:20 AM.

    Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

    YOUTUBE CHANNEL

  14. #14
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Of course you need an EA master account and this account is also your origin account.
    But you DO NOT need the origin client on your pc for playing Swtor, early access or anything else. You will not get any form of spyware on your pc.

  15. #15
    Shield of Telara Verja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    792

    Default

    All I have read is horror stories about Origin. And I mean real bad ones too.

    It honestly is what kept me from getting BF3 for PC.

    But I'm not really all that worried since I have like zero interest in TOR
    The daemonic are without number, and their legions span the galaxy. But faith does not tire. Should it take us an eternity, the Ordo malleus will find and exterminate them all. - Lord Hephaestos Grudd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts