+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: So Why SWTOR?

Soulwalker

Default So Why SWTOR?

I haven't read too much into it. Why is everyone so excited about this game? I'm not sure I could get in to a sci-fi MMO, it seems a rather forced crossbreed of genres. So what's all the hullabaloo about?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaafar View Post
    I haven't read too much into it. Why is everyone so excited about this game? I'm not sure I could get in to a sci-fi MMO, it seems a rather forced crossbreed of genres. So what's all the hullabaloo about?
    Because it's Star Wars. That's about it.

The game itself is nothing special and should have the standard huge launch, huge crash that most hyped MMOs have these days.

Soulwalker

See that's the thing, I love Star Wars as much as the next guy, but I feel like an MMO of the Star Wars universe could only ever be a bastardized shade of the real thing.

Star Wars plus the fact that the game has been hyped since like four years ago.

Four years ago it was a next gen, going to break the mold, second coming of MMO's that got people riled up.

Four years, and what eighty million?, dollars later it's just WoW with lightsabers and A LOT of cinematic. Wayyyy to many for my taste.
    The daemonic are without number, and their legions span the galaxy. But faith does not tire. Should it take us an eternity, the Ordo malleus will find and exterminate them all. - Lord Hephaestos Grudd

Sword of Telara

Because people still believe in Bioware, clinging onto nostalgia in much the same way that Sonic fans clung to Sega for 10 years while they made average to downright abysmal games.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Bioware has a long-standing rep for quality RPGs of one sort or another. I loved Baldur's Gate and BG2, and was at the very least impressed by DA:O, etcetera... So there's a lot of people assuming that Bioware's MMO will be awesome.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Bioware has a long-standing rep for quality RPGs of one sort or another. I loved Baldur's Gate and BG2, and was at the very least impressed by DA:O, etcetera... So there's a lot of people assuming that Bioware's MMO will be awesome.
    Now here is the question. When the time comes and the MMO fails will Bioware fans go

1)Man that story was top notch! The rest may of sucked, but that RPG stuff sure was good!
    2)This game is the best! You just don't understand how deep and powerful the game is!
    3)Damn bioware. You can't make a MMO for ****. I waited eight years and several million of dollars later and this is what I get? Go make some more overpriced DLC for Dragon Age.
    The daemonic are without number, and their legions span the galaxy. But faith does not tire. Should it take us an eternity, the Ordo malleus will find and exterminate them all. - Lord Hephaestos Grudd

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Verja View Post
    Now here is the question. When the time comes and the MMO fails will Bioware fans go

1)Man that story was top notch! The rest may of sucked, but that RPG stuff sure was good!
    2)This game is the best! You just don't understand how deep and powerful the game is!
    3)Damn bioware. You can't make a MMO for ****. I waited eight years and several million of dollars later and this is what I get? Go make some more overpriced DLC for Dragon Age.
    Considering they retconned KotOR2 out of existence out of pure spite towards Obsidian's writers, I'm HOPING it's the third.

Rift Chaser

My advice is to do some reading over on the SWTOR forums and get a taste of the game for yourself. On these boards, you will get the standard----"this game is going to fail big time." Rift players are probably not going to give the most balanced review. If you are thinking about playing it but are leary of the over hype, wait a few months.

Personally, I'm really excited about the game. Although I prefer the more traditional fantasy environment, I'm looking forward to a strong story driven game. If I get through the content in a few months and the game doesn't have staying power for me, I can imagine that it will be a happy few months. From everything I've read, the character storyline is superb and you actually care what happens in the story---something that has been lacking in many MMOs (imo). I'm a bit concerned about endgame and having the same old grind that Rift suffers from but I will have to wait and see. Hard to judge a game when it is in closed beta.

Another game that looks fascinating is Secret World. I've been following that for a bit as well. Lots of good stuff coming out soon!!
    Last edited by Linmora; 11-02-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Someone pointed out in another thread here that traditionally, the light saber is a lethal weapon capable of killing and dismembering in one swipe. Resisted only by another light saber, certain armor types or an energy field of sorts but in SWTOR it has been nerfed to a glowing bat you beat someone with.

KOTOR 1 and 2 were good stand alone games. Bioware should have just stuck with this format and continued with 3...4..5...

Instead of wasting time and resources on a dated cartoony MMO version. I was disappointed at what they finally produced.
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 11-02-2011 at 03:56 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post
    Someone pointed out in another thread here that traditionally, the light saber is a lethal weapon capable of killing and dismembering in one swipe. Resisted only by another light saber, certain armor types or an energy field of sorts but in SWTOR it has been nerfed to a glowing bat you beat someone with..
    And then directly after that I dismantled his argument by pointing out that, traditionally, swords hack through flesh and fireballs blow limbs off of bodies. Taking multiple direct hits from a lightsaber is no less inane than taking multiple direct hits from anything in a fantasy game.

In regards to the OP, Limnora is correct: these forums will be a terrible resource to learn about SWTOR. It's full of trolls who for one reason or another hate a game they've never played.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post
    Someone pointed out in another thread here that traditionally, the light saber is a lethal weapon capable of killing and dismembering in one swipe. Resisted only by another light saber, certain armor types or an energy field of sorts but in SWTOR it has been nerfed to a glowing bat you beat someone with.

KOTOR 1 and 2 were good stand alone games. Bioware should have just stuck with this format and continued with 3...4..5...

Instead of wasting time and resources on a dated cartoony MMO version. I was disappointed at what they finally produced.
    Interesting lightsaber comment and you are right. However, a one swipe/one kill would be dreadfully unbalanced I would think. So it just becomes another weapon in your arsenal. In video games you really have to suspend your disbelief. As I'm shooting someone with a machine gun in the darned head for goodness sakes in FPs games, they keep on coming.

With respect to the graphics, again hard to see how they are until you are in game and see the finished product. Personally, I didn't mind WoW's graphics---although I prefer a more realistic character model, I found Azeroth a very pretty world and thought the developers did a nice job. Then again, it probably wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

Soulwalker

Default Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaafar View Post
    Outside of the fact that pvp has no rez timer yes no rez time and that pvp is blue vs red not faction vs faction so balance can be there and NO faction grinding NONE ZERO ZIP NOTTA

The book series http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_..._(novel_series)

The storyline http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7pu9...eature=related

Space combat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fHbPvCKK10

This biscuit has over 2 hours of video on the upcoming mmo http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHal.../1/k1i_bxfXUSw

Smugglers bounty hunters and troopers do not use sabers and all starting classes start with sabers and eventually sabers will take various shapes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
    And then directly after that I dismantled his argument by pointing out that, traditionally, swords hack through flesh and fireballs blow limbs off of bodies. Taking multiple direct hits from a lightsaber is no less inane than taking multiple direct hits from anything in a fantasy game.
    Yes but unlike the other offensive abilities you have mentioned, lightsabers have an established precedent in the movies where they were first used.

To balance such a huge dps, the user would have to have zero armor and rely heavily on other "force" based defenses. May as well make it a unique class right? As it stands, it's just like all the other classes but with a glowing sword. Being a jedi in SWTOR doesnt "feel" special at all.
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 11-02-2011 at 05:26 AM.

People are interested because the game is new and it is based on Star Wars. You need to do your own reading and research because MMO forums are full of infants who give religious devotion to their chosen MMO and who lash out with hatred and vitriol against anything they do not play, mistakenly believing that their choice of video game A makes them better in some way that someone who chooses video game B, C, or D.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast