+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: what do people find sexy about Lady GaGa?

Plane Touched

At the end of the day, this thread exists because as Seebs said, art is subjective. I personally think she's an average singer / songwriter / pianist that was molded by a production studio into being a media icon, just like most pop stars. I don't think she's brilliant, exceptionally talented, or attractive.

I find it a little absurd that people are willing to give Lady Gaga credit for marketing, presence, and sales. Not to mention audio production. I didn't see anywhere in her life story how she studied audio production and engineering. Did I miss that? I also didn't notice anything about the study of human behavior, business, marketing, or advertising. Did I miss that too? And don't tell me all of her songs are untouched by the studio once she's done scribbling them on a napkin in a cafe.

The studio found an attention starved woman with a few decent talents willing to bend because she's all about "celebrity" after feeling like "a freak in school." And I'm barely taking those quotes out of context if you do a little rudimentary profiling on Gaga.
    Last edited by Homebrew; 11-03-2011 at 06:41 AM.

The fact is, whether many will admit it or not, once her star fades people will be having the same conversation about the next female performer who markets herself this way. Hopefully Gaga won't pull a Madonna and get well beyond her prime and believe she's still relevant.

As far as music goes... I hope they figure out how to clone Joe Satriani some day.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    At the end of the day, this thread exists because as Seebs said, art is subjective. I personally think she's an average singer / songwriter / pianist that was molded by a production studio into being a media icon, just like most pop stars. I don't think she's brilliant, exceptionally talented, or attractive.
    Do you have a basis for that position? Have you looked into the explanations I offered of what she's doing that's technically interesting or impressive?

I find it a little absurd that people are willing to give Lady Gaga credit for marketing, presence, and sales. Not to mention audio production. I didn't see anywhere in her life story how she studied audio production and engineering. Did I miss that?
    I dunno whether she studied it, but she made a living as a studio musician for some time, that quite frequently implies at least basic awareness of how the hardware works.

I also didn't notice anything about the study of human behavior, business, marketing, or advertising. Did I miss that too? And don't tell me all of her songs are untouched by the studio once she's done scribbling them on a napkin in a cafe.
    She's got a demonstrable good feel for human behavior and marketing. Does it really matter that much whether she studied it or just has a good feel for it?

The studio found an attention starved woman with a few decent talents willing to bend because she's all about "celebrity" after feeling like "a freak in school." And I'm barely taking those quotes out of context if you do a little rudimentary profiling on Gaga.
    And yet:

She can perform a song that is unambiguously played and sung like Elton John, and she can perform a song that is unambiguously sung like Ann Wilson. You show me another singer who can do that, and I'll believe that she's not talented.

For crying out loud, listen to her voice "breaking" in Electric Chapel. Now stop and ask: Does her voice normally break at that range? Heck no. She's in the middle of her range there. She is doing it on purpose... and doing it at the points where Ann Wilson's voice tended to start cracking back when she recorded Barracuda.

Listen to the shift in her accents and vocal productions when she changes artists. Note the huge amount of effort that went into making the video for Telephone into the most obvious Tarantino homage possible, not least of which was tracking down or duplicating the truck used in Kill Bill.

Someone involved in this is a brilliant artist. Given the information available, the simplest explanation is that it's her.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    And yet:

She can perform a song that is unambiguously played and sung like Elton John, and she can perform a song that is unambiguously sung like Ann Wilson. You show me another singer who can do that, and I'll believe that she's not talented.
    Yeah, it's called karaoke. Lot's of unknown talent in karaoke bars but in this business it's not about your talent but how well you are connected to the investor(s).

You obviously are a Gaga fan which is fine, but what some of us are saying here is that she is not really providing anything new or unique and her entire persona is prefab not really worthy of mention except by those that find her new and exciting...which tend to be a younger inexperienced crowd.

Consider this: if it weren't for her "image" would her music/voice be enough to carry her alone in this business? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 11-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post
    Yeah, it's called karaoke.
    No, really, it's not. Karaoke is singing someone else's lyrics and melody. It does not involve changing your vocal production to match theirs.

You obviously are a Gaga fan which is fine, but what some of us are saying here is that she is not really providing anything new or unique and her entire persona is prefab not really worthy of mention except by those that find her new and exciting...which tend to be a younger inexperienced crowd.
    Yes, I know what you're saying. And what I'm saying is that you haven't actually looked past the pop star image to the substance of her performances; that she really is doing some stuff which actual singers I have talked to are very impressed by. Why? Because if you actually sing, it becomes a lot more obvious that she's doing some very technically impressive things.

Look, you almost have it. You understand that glitz and image can hide the reality, right? What if the reality were actually something decent? Glitz and image would hide that, too.

Consider this: if it weren't for her "image" would her music/voice be enough to carry her alone in this business? I doubt it.
    I doubt it. But then, I listen to, and love, a lot of really great music that is demonstrably not enough to carry people in the pop business. That doesn't mean that the people performing it aren't skilled or talented; it means that industry success is not all that closely tied to skill.

But "not closely tied" is not the same thing as "if you succeed, it means you suck". Like 'em or not, Metallica are clearly skilled musicians -- and also highly successful. Not all successful musicians are particularly good, but most are at least competent.

In the absence of glitz and image, she's a skilled singer who can make a living recording singing for people who need stuff sung and have to hire someone to do it. Add in the image, and she's hugely successful... Doesn't mean she suddenly stopped being skilled.

Seriously. Do it. Listen to Electric Chapel and Barracuda. If you haven't done that, stop telling me how good or bad Gaga is, when you aren't willing to put even five minutes into evaluating a concrete, specific, detailed claim about a thing she did which is technically impressive.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Couldn't tell you OP. I myself don't see it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

You can't use your disdain for pop music (more like the remnants of the anti culture of the 90s, which was a very crappy and hypocritical movement in hindsight) to label every pop artist as mediocre. It gives more credit to actual terrible artists and less credit to those that actually have some substance (Britney Spears v Pink post wannabe hiphop r&b days)

If we are going scrutinize the word "artist" (and admittedly over used and often time undeserved title) then there hasnt been a true artist since the 60s since they all sing pre made songs.

It's easy to gloss over Gagas alleged talents due to her drastic attention whoring, and yes without her gimic stolen from Madonna who stole it from Grace Jones who stole it from some other lesser know performer whose name escapes me, she would probably still be writing songs and cutting herself for being such an unattractive soul.

But at the end of the day, you have to look at her objectively, not through the bias lens of the counter culture propaganda.

Her song with Tony Bennet showed there was more to her than auto tune and crotch shots.
    Every song she makes has a ballad form which, if YouTube is an indication of frequency, she performs frequently.

Her piano skills? Well I've never heard her play anything particularly complex, but it doesn't really make her mediocre. Maybe lazy or unambitious.

I dunno, compared to most of the pop "artist" that are currently relevant, she out shines them talent wise. At least in live performances.

And she stands for something outside her music (which lyrically are formulaic and generic although her use of metaphor has improved) which i can respect.

At the end of the day, it's hard to be original when everything was done before. Twice.
    You really have to make sure the package you distribute it in has a shiny wrapper.
    Last edited by Eughe; 11-03-2011 at 06:35 PM.

I'm reminded of a line from the movie Almost Famous. You don't choose the music you like, it chooses you. Sounds corny but it's true.

Seriously, WTF is this all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Omni View Post
    Seriously, WTF is this all about?
    Social commentary and shock value?

Look, have you ever heard of Alice Cooper? Serious musician, great sense of humor, made his name in shock rock. Shock gets coverage and thus exposure and thus sales.

But again, what's that got to do with anything? You're so close! You realize that fame doesn't prove that the music is good. Now make the next step: Fame also doesn't prove that the music is bad. It's irrelevant.

Shadowlander

Put a bag on it and she becomes a lot sexier.

Lady Gaga is yet another pop tart that will be doing reality TV in a few years.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Put a bag on it and she becomes a lot sexier.
    Well, I won't argue that she would look better that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3