+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: what do people find sexy about Lady GaGa?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle404 View Post
    dont suppose theres a vid of this? sounds pretty kool.

gaga is popular cuz of the Garmlich Effect:
    The law of physics that states that if one girl screams for something, it will make other girls scream, and then it grows exponentially until all girls within a five mile radius are screaming.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...armlich-effect

"...a cucumber in the pants never hurt either."

Here's the whole episode if you want:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...th-your-finger

Let's face it..."Fingerbang" sounds just as stupid as "Lady Gaga."

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    The "Gaga is a man" stuff is really old, and false.
    Anyway, she is one of the only artists that I find myself always engaged in her eyes and not her body. Not because I'm not attracted to her body but because there is something in her eyes that is more attractive than any physical assets could ever match.

Pretty is nice to look at but if you can't engage me with your mind then you're really not as attractive as you think.
    somebody has a crush.
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 11-02-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Plane Touched

A "serious musician?" "Brilliant?" "Talented?"

What the hell? Really guys?

I think this explains it best:

The Addiction:
    Yes, pop music is basically cranial crack, to the point that scientists have actually been able to predict which songs would become big sellers by hooking kids up to an MRI scanner and playing previously unheard pop tunes for them. When a future hit came on, the pleasure center of the brain lit up like a Christmas tree.

This is where your brain stores all the sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

Here's the curious thing: The participants were also surveyed about the songs, and the reviews they gave them were significantly different from what their brain scans revealed. Yes, although the songs gave their brains the kind of high you usually have to break a bunch of laws to achieve, they consciously went against their brainwaves in order to seem less inclined to pop music than the MRI scanner showed they were.

And not only does your brain go ape**** when it hears catchy, poppy music, but also it actually derives pleasure from predicting the melodies as you listen, anticipating the emotion associated with certain types of music. This leads to a one-two punch where you get one thrill when your brain is expecting something to happen, and when it actually does another rush of dopamine comes in from an entirely different part of the brain. And this is where your brain enters Addict Mode. The easiest way for it to get its dopamine fix is tunes that are simple, predictable and repetitive -- so that's what it prefers, no matter your views on the artistic merits. That's right -- no matter how carefully hipster you are, or how hardcore a metalhead image you maintain, your brain is secretly into Bieber.

Maybe that's going a little far.
    In summation, you're giving credit to someone that dresses up like a clown and exploits fundamental brain functions to produce hit music. Yeah, she's famous. Yes, she's rich. Well done. The marketing was great. But creative? Brilliant? Original?

Try science.
    Last edited by Homebrew; 11-02-2011 at 05:49 AM.

She is product of musical business, no more

She is not creative, brilliant, original or somesthing like that.
    It's like plastic toy from the conveyor.

Her sexy little balls.
    Hoss

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post

Yes, really.

Lemme guess: You don't think Warhol was an artist either?

In summation, you're giving credit to someone that dresses up like a clown and exploits fundamental brain functions to produce hit music. Yeah, she's famous. Yes, she's rich. Well done. The marketing was great. But creative? Brilliant? Original?
    Original is a hard sell simply because what I'm most impressed by is the extremely careful homages.

You're comitting a fallacy of composition; you're assuming that since at least some pop songs are easy or trivial to create, all pop songs are without exceptions trivial.

Seriously. Go listen to Barracuda and then Electric Chapel. Listen to some early Lords of Acid (most obviously, something around the time frame of I Sit on Acid or Lessons in Love), then listen to Lovegame. Listen to any early Madonna, then to The Fame. Listen to the Cardigans, especially Lovefool, then listen to Gaga's Summer Boy. This is not some kind of random coincidence; this is systematic, carefully planned, art.

Yes, she's imitating other people. Brilliantly.

Look, you may not like what he does, and no one will ever accuse the man of being a "serious" artist, but the fact is that Weird Al is substantially more skilled at writing and producing music than many of the people he's parodied. There are not many people who can do that competently, let alone well. Gaga is one of them.

Art isn't always about what you like or don't like. I like a lot of what Gaga does, but some of it really doesn't appeal to me. Doesn't mean I can't respect the effort and skill that went into it.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Try science.

I have had my doubts about her for a long time, but when i heard her live, i respected because, well she can actually sing.

Shes not a studio artist, like most singers are today (im looking at you katy perry). Put them in front of a live audience and they have the soundtrack so loud, that no one notices their voice.

She actually sings many of her songs as ballads, to show off her voice.

Her costume and persona is hardly original, but i do like the fact that she constantly states how she respects her parents (she went as far as to say when shes home, its her dads rules and no one elses) and at least, tries to promote free thinking, despite the general populi mob mentality.

I like her music, and do rage at many of her blatant rip offs, but at least she stands for something, which is more than most artists can say now a days, in any genre or field.

One thing i do dislike about her, is her obvious angst. You can tell she was picked on, or at least was more an outcast in school, since she so tries to be a somebody and flamboyant. But even that has died down a bit. I guess she realized she doesnt have anything to prove (or people stopped caring).

Shes pug fugly though.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Lemme guess: You don't think Warhol was an artist either?
    NO!

"Modern" artists are only good at one thing: making fools out of pretentious people into thinking "they get it" and thus are set apart from those who dont, when there is really nothing "to get." That is at the heart of The Emperor's New Clothes. It was true then and is still true today.

Take this as another example of my point.

Gaga is nothing new, just another attention seeking freak show capitalizing on all those "who get it."

...oh and she sings.

Edit: the link is heavy censored to the point of being unusable.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sp_rm..._n-76190.shtml

Replace the "_" with "e"
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 11-02-2011 at 09:57 PM.

I gotta disagree with you there. Modern art really is art. It communicates. It changes how people view the world. That some people don't get it doesn't mean there's nothing to get; it just means that they're expecting the communication to be more direct and less meta.

You're quite right that often the art does nothing but show afficianados to be gullible. But if you can convince people to pay a million bucks for something... That is making a significant statement about the human condition!

Does it communicate something about the human condition? Yes? Why, then it's art. Even if you don't like what it says or how it says it.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

The curious thing about the music industry is that only the singer is labeled the artist (unless it's a band), when it's all realy a collabroative effort with a producer(s), engineer(s), musicians and even lyricists.

Yet it is the vocalist that is given the credit as "the artist" and maintains the rights to whatever the other parties contribute to a single song. This only emphasizes the point that the music industry today is just a money making machine and has very little to do with actual "artists" or finding new talent.

Seems the talent is prefabricated now with the one criteria being...you need to have the right "look." Modern pop singers have very little to do with actual music and more with appearances and sex appeal.

In short, it's all a crock.

Neo Omni, that's a bit of an oversimplification. First off, many times the vocalist is the writer and lyricist. Furthermore, words are mostly what people relate to. However, there are plenty of counterexamples out there, mostly famous guitarists who publish under their name and hire studio vocalists.

Rift Chaser Talking The Hardest's Avatar

Just dance and Poker face, after that lost interest in the illuminati sex slave.
    Softest@Blightweald
    Quote Originally Posted by Noge View Post
    Softest best bard EU
    Co-Leader of the worlds #1 Alt/PuG raid - iFAP

Ascendant

Try science.
    First time I'm not on board with you Home. If all you know are the pop hits then I can see taking that angle. Do a little digging and you will see that she has a lot to say and she is an accomplished pianist.

Creative, brilliant, and original do apply.

RIFT Community Ambassador Laughter's Avatar

I am not a huge fan I can't name any of her songs but one or two. I don't have anything against her just not really my music. But I LOVE this one especially the cover this little girl does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0wi1m-89o

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Neo Omni, that's a bit of an oversimplification. First off, many times the vocalist is the writer and lyricist. Furthermore, words are mostly what people relate to. However, there are plenty of counterexamples out there, mostly famous guitarists who publish under their name and hire studio vocalists.
    I am emphasizing the trend in current pop music. But to bring my point home consider the Milli Vanilli debacle. A prime example that all you need is to provide a "face" or a "look" and the rest can be done behind the scenes in a studio by others. Another phony who comes to mind is Britney Spears constantly lip-syncing her concerts. She justifies it by saying that dancing and singing together is very difficult. Well I have one answer for that......ELVIS!
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 11-03-2011 at 05:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast