+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intel Socket 2011 and X68

Rift Disciple

Wink Intel Socket 2011 and X68

I am sure some people have heard of the new Sandy Bridge processors that just came out. Well some might not know that later this year there will be a new Socket that will replace the LGA 1366 socket called the LGA 2011 socket. It’s the high end version of the new Sandy Bridge processors. The new Socket 1155 are pretty sweet but are just an upgrade from the 1156 sockets which are the midgrade processors. The socket 1155 are pretty powerful and are ranked top of the line right now but if you’re a gamer I would hold out for the high end socket 2011 later this year. Again it will replace the socket 1366 and will probably pretty much blow the new 1155 sockets out of the water and make them look ancient. Just a heads up before people start to upgrade. Hold off it will be well worth the wait I promise you.
    Last edited by Vexat; 01-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexat View Post
    I am sure some people have heard of the new Sandy Bridge processors that just came out. Well some might not know that later this year there will be a new Socket that will replace the LGA 1366 socket called the LGA 2011 socket. Itís the high end version of the new Sandy Bridge processors. The new Socket 1155 are pretty sweet but are just an upgrade from the 1156 sockets which are the midgrade processors. The socket 1155 are pretty powerful and are ranked top of the line right now but if youíre a gamer I would hold out for the high end socket 2011 later this year. Again it will replace the socket 1366 and will probably pretty much blow the new 1155 sockets out of the water and make them look ancient. Just a heads up before people start to upgrade. Hold off it will be well worth the wait I promise you.
    Yes the LGA 2011 is slated for third quarter of 2011, however, it might end up being the new 1-2P server socket replacement. There is talk of a possible LGA 1367 to replace 1366 as an enthusiast part, so we will just have to wait and see eh!? For now though, it is hard to bypass a Sandy Core 2500K or 2600K with their super nice overclocking and reasonable motherboard prices (bundled 2500K with Asus P8P67 Pro MB at Microcenter for only $339.98 + tax).

Regardless, new high end is coming and I hope the cpu's are devoid of on-board graphics at that level, since enthusiasts who build with these types of expensive parts rarely need nor use integrated graphics.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Rift Disciple

I have read that the graphics unit on the processor really is for helping with dedicated graphics. I guess its helps with performance. Not sure how it all works. I guess the older processors had a seperate part that was installed in the processor but the new ones including 1155 sockets they are interwoven in the processor helping with graphics performance. If that makes since. (shrug) I mean why would these processors be able to run games so well if it was just the intergrated graphics they were using? I saw some benchmarks and they have like 10 to 20 FPS gain on the socket 1366 980 extreme in games and the 980 does not have intergrated graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexat View Post
    I have read that the graphics unit on the processor really is for helping with dedicated graphics. I guess its helps with performance. Not sure how it all works. I guess the older processors had a seperate part that was installed in the processor but the new ones including 1155 sockets they are interwoven in the processor helping with graphics performance. If that makes since. (shrug) I mean why would these processors be able to run games so well if it was just the intergrated graphics they were using? I saw some benchmarks and they have like 10 to 20 FPS gain on the socket 1366 980 extreme in games and the 980 does not have intergrated graphics.
    Most tests I have seen, use comparisons of old integrated graphics and low end, discrete video cards. They also only seem to denote the performance at the 1024x768 range, where gpus are not as stressed as in higher resolutions.

No question that the integrated graphics contained in the Sandy Bridge are not a vast improvement over those previous attempts. However, although the on-die graphics of the Sandy Bridge can easily replace an entry-level and some midrange discrete GPU's, that is about as far as they go.

Where I see these integrated solutions making a big impact, is in the mainstream laptop segment. Now, instead of poor and mediocre graphic performance, one will see vast gaming improvement, but still, top gamers will probably want untits with discrete video cards and even the MXM type replaceables.

Not as big of a concern for the present is the fact that the Sandy Core's graphics cannot do DX 11. This may affect future gaming as the games adopt more DX 11 features though.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Rift Disciple

Thumbs up

The question I have is what do they do with the high end 2011 or as you say 1367. If its a Sandy Bridge is it going to have the intergrated? I have heard the 2011 is still Sandy Bridge which doesn't make sense why they would put integrated graphics on a high end chip and stop making the 1366. Doesn't make since at all. Why would intel make a chip with intregrated graphics that out performs the current high end chips. I know for a fact it really doesn't matter because you can still use a dedicated card in the system. Well now that I think about it how will that work cause most intergrated graphics are on the motherboard itself. Will be interesting to see. I want to upgrade but since the 1366 is at end of life I want to wait but if there won't be anything really worth getting in 2011 I might as well go 1366. I don't want the 1155 cause I know its going to end up like back in the day when RDRAM came out and maybe lasted a year at most then was replaced for DDR2. I see the 1155 as a quick marketing ploy to get quick money then intel releasiong a superior product a few months later that blows the 1155 out of the water. If that makes sense
    Last edited by Vexat; 01-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread