+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMORPG conformity and roles

Plane Touched

Default MMORPG conformity and roles

One thing that's always baffled me is the idea that all MMORPGs want to conform to certain ideas. That they don't need adequate end game solo content, or that we need tanks, healers, dps, support etc.

Before all you elitists form and opinion of me and the quiet population who agrees, hear me out. There is a huge population of players who don't have hours to waste waiting for groups, then only to be let down by bad players, someone having to go afk and holding up the group, people randomly leaving etc. I know, sometimes it happens, it's part of the game, but why does all of this HAVE to be part of the game when you just don't want it or have the time?

Some of us love the teamwork, but we also just love playing a game where we're not alone and interacting wih NPCs the entire way through the game. I like the world PvP and instanced PvP too. So it's certainly not all about groups.

On another the other issue, what would you guess the % of people who want to dps and blow things up? Why do a majority of MMOs force players in to specific roles then? Why not have roles that help, but aren't required? For instance, look at the chloro Mage. They heal and do damage, great idea, but in the end, raids still require clerics in full heal spec, unless you're ridiculously geared for the content. Tanks; why even stand there and take all of the abuse? Why not take the concept that when you see the enemy attacking, you **** of the way?

Let's not forget the issue of long *** queue times waiting on the roles to get filled before going in to a dungeon. Could you imagine a game that you could spec whatever you wanted, get instant queues, and when someone dies in the group, it's not an instant wipe because the tank or healer died? You just tell the idiot to stop getting in the way or kick him and get instant replacement.

Anyway, these days I find myself with a family, get pulled away from the PC a lot, and group content and long queues (yes, I do play other roles, but not always because I want to) really make me lose interest in games these days. My personal thoughts about what I want in an MMO these days has changed.

Again, MMORPGs aren't just about groups, it's about everything; the socializing, trading, PvP, grouping, soloing when you just need a break, and just not being in a lonely offline game with programmed NPCs.
    Last edited by Troponin; 10-30-2011 at 08:03 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Try City of Heroes, where so far as I know every class has been able to do an all-X version of some of the hard content? All-tanker, all-defender, heck, all-stalker.

The thing is, it's a tradeoff. A game that has stricter role requirements can also build content around the assumption that those roles exist, and can make more interesting fights in some cases.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Touched

I wanted to give CoH a shot, but never got the game to work. They apparently had game client issues randomly and I had the problem and had all kinds of issues with it.

Anyway, the reviews were mixed after the game was out for a while. Looking forward to GW2 and DIII, more so for GW2 though.
    Last edited by Troponin; 10-30-2011 at 08:49 PM.

CoH is F2P these days, but still pretty popular. I still have paid accounts and play it sometimes.

I was told GW2's combat is more interactive -- active blocking or something similar, but basically more like Oblivion or Morrowind combat, less like WoW or Rift or CoH. This uninterests me, sadly.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    CoH is F2P these days, but still pretty popular. I still have paid accounts and play it sometimes.

I was told GW2's combat is more interactive -- active blocking or something similar, but basically more like Oblivion or Morrowind combat, less like WoW or Rift or CoH. This uninterests me, sadly.
    Let's hope that's more of a warrior thing, because they are the only ones that really use a shield.

Age of Conan had a system where the tanks had to make sure their shields were positioned correctly and could change in combat. Certain mobs would perform left, right or over head swings and the tanks took s certain % more damage if they weren't positioned directly.

Anyway, will just have to wait and see. O did see the active blocking thing though. It looked like there was more of a reactive system too.

Yeah, that wouldn't work for me. I'm happy to keep the RPGs I play at a nice abstract level, where I direct actions and a character who has trained for them performs them.

Plane Touched

Yeah, like when I train an ability called assassinate, I expect it to one shot the enemy like the name indicates. I mean, come on, he is a trained assassin now. lol just kidding, I def get what you're saying.
    Last edited by Troponin; 10-30-2011 at 09:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread