+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any MMO's that use a more basic reactive combat system?

Soulwalker

Default Any MMO's that use a more basic reactive combat system?

Anything similar to an assasin's creed style combat system in an mmo? I only played AC for a couple of hours but I loved the combat. Not looking for something the same obviously but if there was an mmo where you actually HAD to parry in order to parry, where you could go for the legs, where your stats affected the damage as well as the effectiveness of your counters, and so on.

I'm thinking more on the mind set of pvp, I could see this type of gameplay being damned cool. Rotations would be unique to the encounter. And the way I'm dreaming it if you had decent enough gear you could counter/parry a 1v1 continuously without taking any dmg, leave yourself open and you'd be quick meat.

Exploiting another players openings would be what you'd be going for. More reactive. With class specific abilities, strengths and weaknesses.

Just daydreaming here but if anyone knows anything relatively similar, lets hear it! ;p

Plane Touched

I played AoC for about a year or a little less. It was a very unique system. What I flu d though, is that in PvP, in order to get a stun or do damage as melee, you had to do your combos. Otoh, casters didn't, so it kind of sucked going against a caster at times.

In the end, you get used to it and it feels just like any other combat system. If you wanted a challenge, give an assassin a shot. It was my alt, and they did sick damage, but they had so many combinations to get different results, I had trouble keeping track of them all. It wad such a complicated system for the sin, that I did a TON of research and found the best combinations and would over take the top geared sins in the guild and they had no idea how I was doing it. Aggro was a ***** though, so the first 25% I had to use a shortened version of the rotation and even then, I had to have a good tank.

Try Age of Conan, as mentioned above, or D&D Online. Both can be played for free.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Soulwalker

While d&d online wasnt exactly what I was looking for, it's blowing me away. Thank you
    I think my hopes of mmo pvp are going to be shelved for the time being. I like the idea of certain classes open to certain strengths as is in rift, the combat system just bugs me.

Get AC Brotherhood. It's got the pvp you're looking for.

Rift Chaser

Vanguard had a very very fine combatsystem!

+ Reply to Thread