+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: educate me about Win/Mac debate

Rift Disciple

Default educate me about Win/Mac debate

I keep seeing topics abut Windows and Mac differences. Of course those type of topics soon escalate into something unpleasant to read, without much content so I am trying to understand all this.
    I am Win user and have been all my life. Not so by choice but necessity. When I started using computers there was only Windows that I knew about.
    But today picture has changed. Mac is on the rampage. My only experience with Mac is through my friend who bought iMac with huge screen. First time I saw it I was very impressed. It definitely looks great. But out of 5 times I've seen him work on his Mac, he once had a problem with keyboard that lost connection and second time he had to restart the machine since it stopped responding during his work.
    So ... my experience with Macs so far is not in favor of their reliability. But I would be stupid to ignore all those comments and praise that I've heard so far from Mac users. So that means I don't have the entire picture.
    And here lies my problem. Every time I asked one of Mas users why it's better than Windows system they weren't able to give me more accurate description than ... "It's better. Everybody says so!". To me that is a sign of a not very intelligent person (I had quite few arguments that ended like that ).
    But I would really like to know what EXACTLY makes MAC better then Win operated PC.
    I read somewhere on this forum that it's light years ahead of Win in Audio or Video work. Why exactly? What specifically is so much better?
    And what about other computer related areas like Web design, programming, application support, .....
    Is anyone here capable or should I say willing to help me understand that?
    I use computer for 10-12 hours/day. Of course I've had my share of computer resets so far, but they are definitely not so abundant to make me want to buy similar hardware for 50% more money.
    So ... why are all computer related professionals supposed to be using Macs? There has to be an exact reason. They can't all be wrong!

thank you and I apologize if I am asking something that has already been answered.

Sword of Telara

oke, i start first, and ends it.

Mac=Intel Chip set, + CPU.
    so 100% IBM compatible, like all PC's.

you user, choose to use a None standard Operation System, (not Windows compatible)
    and QQ about you, do not have DX support, witch all Programs operate with.
    what's written under DX Libraries, by this it's you'r own problem.

only Mac users, are so arrogant to think with their 10x overpriced piece of ****, is anything better then a expensive calculator.
    why do i never see a Linux user QQ about this?

Ascendant

weeelllll

I don't necessarily agree that one is better than the other not anymore anyway. I use both and while I prefer the mac it does have its quirks. I worked in windows and pc support for years, if I never have to fix another windows machine it will be too soon.

I guess in a nutshell you can know a lot less about a mac and use it just as well as a pc they really are computers for dummies. I don't need to know anything about it, the software I want to use just runs. The propriety nature of macs also makes them more stable and developers are more able to optimize software for the system, a mac of equivalent spec will outperform a windows machine or that used to be the case anyway now they are all pretty much the same under the hood, you can even get macs os running on a pc if you like to do things the hard way.

Ascendant

Stupid edit timer

just to add to that

it's not that one is better or worse than the other it's just that when one becomes standard in an industry say film or graphic design then people who want to enter that industry will buy that one

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Glamour View Post
    Stupid edit timer

just to add to that

it's not that one is better or worse than the other it's just that when one becomes standard in an industry say film or graphic design then people who want to enter that industry will buy that one
    what a ********.
    graphic design

Autocad=Windows
    adobe photoshop CS4=windows
    put any program they are all made for windows, and are lead in ether Sound, Graphics or Film Industry.
    have a nice day.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    what a ********.
    graphic design

Autocad=Windows
    adobe photoshop CS4=windows
    put any program they are all made for windows, and are lead in ether Sound, Graphics or Film Industry.
    have a nice day.

1.temper temper

2.reading comprehension, you could use some more of it.

3.way to totally miss the point

have a nice day

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    Actually, no, in the areas of audio production and image processing Mac applications were always far more heavily used by professionals than their Windows counterparts.

Today, the printing industry is still heavily standardised on the Mac, while audio production facilities often equip Macs with no PC in sight.

No, I'm not an Apple fanboy, I personally loathe the company's business morals, in some ways I consider them more 'evil' that M$ ever were, but only the completely ignorant would argue that Windows software is universally better in serious professional circles.
    Last edited by Kerin; 10-27-2011 at 02:53 AM.

You also have to make a distinction between the Mac OS and the Mac computer.

The Mac OS itself isn't so bad, the latest version is much cheaper than windows and can be very useful for certain types of users.

Mac computers however are largely junk these days - they break down as often if not more often than PC's, they're nigh impossible to upgrade, they're sold for exorbitant prices and you have to pay even more if you want some halfway decent warranty.

Tbh I think the smart Mac (OS) fans are running PC hardware + Mac OS (aka hackintosh), and the smart Mac fans who are also gamers dual-boot Mac OS and windows. If people love the Mac as a computer then I think they've just been misled by the shiny Apple image, because their hardware for sure isn't any more stable, reliable or in any way 'superior' to any PC you can build yourself since they use exactly the same parts you can find in a regular PC.
    Last edited by Amarinth; 10-27-2011 at 03:19 AM.

We've been going through this in my PC class this quarter. The teacher made the claim that the OSX is actually easier to learn than windows IF you've never used any pc. So for those of us that grew up on pc's yeah it does feel like an alien device because we are already used to one way.

And yes, Mac has always been on top of the color and graphics industries. Way back in the 80's when PC's really started coming out IBM compatibles were sporting the good old monochrome while Mac already had a 8 bit color system out on the market. And these guys are right about print shops and the like being Mac heavy. My friend has owned and ran his print shop since he was in his teens and he has always used Mac's. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that we managed to get to try a PC at home. Keep a close eye on Dev video's when they have somebody from the art and animation studio talking and I can almost guarantee you will see a Mac at their station as they're talking.

But like other has stated, Mac's are crazy expensive. And considering how alike they are to pc's what you are paying for is the brand name on the side and a little package of smug to go with it. Mac users like to make claims that they don't get virus's n such like a pc user which is true, but not for the reason they want to believe. As Macs get more popular, so do the attacks on them. And then you have that whole compatibility issue because honestly most companies just don't want to put out the extra funds to make their product work for such a small consumer base.

Personally I like my iphone and my ipod, but I also enjoy my 2 ibm compat laptops and my PC.

a mac is a like a rogue with its one button iwin in 1.6
    but
    a pc is like a warrior pre 1.4 with its two button

yea a warrior would win pre 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by ceodoc View Post
    Happy Trails Khalsa.
    Although I am not one of them, many Defiants will rest more at ease now the "killin" machine has moved on.
    Haha Ciao Doc

I don't really see how it's a debate. Go Mac!

Um, yeah. I grew up with Windows, and grew to hate it. Tried out Linux, wasn't terribly keen on it, and finally swapped to a Mac. And never looked back, I guess. Macs are by no means the "ultimate Messiah computer sent to save us from blue screens of death", but they're good, efficient machines that look great and feel great.

You can debate the vs all you want, but you can't debate their quality. I have no idea where this "they cost 10x more!" thing came from either.
    Last edited by Satiar; 10-27-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Satiar View Post
    You can debate the vs all you want, but you can't debate their quality. I have no idea where this "they cost 10x more!" thing came from either.
    While you are taking the quote too literally here is an example.

Apple 11.6" MacBook Air dual-core Intel Core i5 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mac OS X Lion (MC969LL/A) Price: $1,138.99

I recently picked up a HP Dv7t series laptop. 17" screen. Gen 2 Dual Core i5 2.4 MHz, 6 GB RAM, 1GB Radeon 6770, win 7 64 bit Price: $989.00

BUT

I get an HP Discount and I did save just over $100. This puts both machines at roughly the same price. Look at what you get with each one. Now imagine if I wanted to upgrade to a Macbook Pro 17". Now I'm paying $2,433.99. Do you see what people mean now?

www.macmall.com
    www.hp.com

Compare for yourself.

Oh and we can debate quality. Its an item made by man and to date nothing made by man has been infallible. I can show you laptops that have lived for 8 years + and tell you that PC makes high quality stuff or I can be a realist and just say I've been damn lucky so far with that one machine. I get into this same argument with a friend because he hates my Land Rover and says its trash because of the few little issues I have with it, and yet the guys been through 8 more vehicles than me.
    Last edited by Cassiel of harrow; 10-27-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    While you are taking the quote too literally here is an example.

Apple 11.6" MacBook Air dual-core Intel Core i5 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mac OS X Lion (MC969LL/A) Price: $1,138.99

I recently picked up a HP Dv7t series laptop. 17" screen. Gen 2 Dual Core i5 2.4 MHz, 6 GB RAM, 1GB Radeon 6770, win 7 64 bit Price: $989.00

BUT

I get an HP Discount and I did save just over $100. This puts both machines at roughly the same price. Look at what you get with each one. Now imagine if I wanted to upgrade to a Macbook Pro 17". Now I'm paying $2,433.99. Do you see what people mean now?

www.macmall.com
    www.hp.com

Compare for yourself.
    ...I see no 10x amount, is what I see. I've never debated that Macs cost money. I should know, I bought one. But they are miles way from the "overpriced piece of trash" people make them out to be.

Oh and we can debate quality. Its an item made by man and to date nothing made by man has been infallible. I can show you laptops that have lived for 8 years + and tell you that PC makes high quality stuff or I can be a realist and just say I've been damn lucky so far with that one machine. I get into this same argument with a friend because he hates my Land Rover and says its trash because of the few little issue I have with it, and yet the guys been through 8 more vehicles than me.
    A lot of how long a machine lasts is how you treat it. On a personal level, I have not encountered a single problem since I started using my Mac. Satisfied customer is satisfied.
    Last edited by Satiar; 10-27-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Satiar View Post
    ...I see no 10x amount, is what I see. I've never debated that Macs cost money. I should know, I bought one. But they are miles way from the "overpriced piece of trash" people make them out to be.
    Look at the first line......

wow.

Plane Touched

I'm an Art Director, and most of my gigs have been with Ad Agencies, so I'll tell you right now that 98% of the creative team uses a Mac. I'll also tell you that not one of them has a good explanation as to why and most of them are pretty piss poor on a PC.

Most designers I know (including myself) like the Macs because of the environment you're working in. Typically Macs are cleaner, slicker, and pretty. Believe it or not that can be artificially inspiring when doing design.

However, most of the Macs have PC compatible hardware. Mac's OS vs PC's OS are identical in a lot of ways and honestly boil down to personal preference. Dock versus Start Menu. Finder versus Explorer. Settings vs Control Panel. Blah blah blah.

The entire Adobe suite works on both platforms just fine - that includes Soundbooth, Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, etc which means all A/V and design apps are available on both.

At the end of the day you're absolutely paying for preference, and Mac's entire marketing campaign is that Macs are just cooler - which I agree they have sexier designs - but that's a pretty shallow and superficial reason to make a decision. They represent PCs with a pudgy nerdy guy in a suit with glasses versus trendy Justin Long.

Macs are also a hell of a lot more expensive. I mean it's ludicrous what they're content selling some of the hardware for. If you go through Newegg and match hardware piece for piece you'd probably end up with something half the price of the one in the store.

So yeah, I'd say they're about equal in a lot of ways, while Macs are simply just sexier designs and cleaner working environments with a bigger price tag. Keep in mind the girl that posts status updates while sitting in a Starbucks who swears by her Mac is not a good source for pro-Mac information (mostly because she's probably an idiot) and neither is the Developer that writes applications on his blue-glowing thermo-cooled beast PC.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast