+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Just cancelled WoW for being....a WoW clone

Soulwalker

I don't know why but I thought that the very first MMOs that I played when I was around 14 years old were the best....lol...Asherons Call and Dark Age of Camelot....

after that I never had fun with any other MMORPGs

maybe it was from all of that mmorpg newness to me feeling

One thing I like about rift is the blood! I like games with blood!

I admit I bought Cataclysm...tried to get a new guy to 85...couldn't get passed lvl 40...I wasn't having fun at all....

I dunno....
    Last edited by Ewokfanboy; 01-16-2011 at 11:08 AM.

I agree, Cata was nothing but the same old crap with two new races and more phasing.
    Fallout Clan - Briarcliff

when cat came out I was actually considering going back to wow. I bought the digital download for cat and during the 48 hour pending session I made a trial account to check out how messed up azeroth was supposed to be. To my much expected disappointment it wasn't much different. I then called Blizz and it took about 3 weeks for me to get my money back. After playing EVE and AION, the graphics of WOW just seemed too fake and out of a childrens book.

Blizz is for teh suck
    Last edited by Phunk; 01-16-2011 at 11:11 AM.

I started during mid BC and played all the way until the end of WoTLK.
    I even played in the Cata Beta which by no small feat was boring.

Leveling seem'd like such a drag on my soul. Too linear for my taste, always had to follow a quest chain,
    I mean the quest themselves were great, but the way you HAD to do them or no more quests/zone for you.
    Numbers, and I mean numbers! Too many of them, too high of their values. 20-45k HP okay no probs but 100k-150k? Really? That much of a jump? I replaced my Shadowmourne with an 82 Blue. Win.

Blizz brought it more CC for the dungeon's, great! Not great when you have run the instance five thousand times and at the end just want to poke your eyes out due to shear boredom and an overdose of repeats.

Cata(imo):Sheep that mob, fear this mob, kill this mob when that mob does this mob into that CC ability, which then procs a debuff in which you must move into the fire but not that fire because that fire burns but that fire can heal which in turn saves your group from disaster. Read that with one breath? Ok? 'Got 3 hours? No? Don't join the LFD then noob'

WoTLK(imo): Quick, short, easy and accesible dungeons. AoE fest but none the less. 'Lol lets do this fast plz! I need food in 2 mins' 'KK GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO'

TL;DR: BC got it right for me, WoTLK...Meh. Cata? No, just no. Blizz tried to make it like Vanilla, but completely failed. Or that I'm just burnt out.

Eh, bring on the Rift!
    you saw nothing
    Nadola
    <Stack on Eight>
    4/4 FT 5/5 EE

Personally I don't see anything wrong with WoW, their new expansion makes the 1-60 playthrough very enjoyable, the quest are a lot more fun and entertaining and 80-85 is equally if not more epic, in the month I played cataclysm after release I leveled 10 characters most to 40 a few to 80+.
    I really really did enjoy the 1-60 experience though after so many characters it does get a tad boring doing the same thing over and over and 58-68 when you get stuck in BC quest line where you have to collect 12 wolf tails with a 1/10 drop rate forcing you to murder 120 wolfs was just unbearable.
    But I mean that just goes to show how far they have actually come that their BC expansion is now boring when it used to be mildly entertaining.
    If you don't want to play with little kids you can just join a mature 18+ guild.

I'm not saying WoW is for everyone, each has their own opinion, but WoW has put a lot of time into their product for people to just start bashing it.
    Honestly I don't really entirely care but it makes the entire Rift community seem a bit "not sure of the word to put here" especially since Rift does pull from some WoW elements.

Instead of bashing WoW wouldn't it be more constructive to pick out the things you "did" like in WoW but maybe they removed or something that Rift could add to make their game even better?

Like maybe all their expansions are the same so maybe Rift could try to make their expansions more game changing, changing the entire game instead of just adding onto the end?
    Last edited by Zange; 01-16-2011 at 12:20 PM.

I played WoW from the day it came out until Cata release. My main has almost a year of /played. I continuously had something to do in WoW, until the end that is. When I had over 11k achievement points and litterally NOTHING to do at the end of WotLK because all the hardcore PvE players were playing the beta (which was boring and buggy) and the arena season was over and those were the last 2 things I had missing achievements in.

Even though I'm an explorer achiever (just took the bartle gamer psychology test 73% explorer, 47% achiever, 40% socializer, 40% killer) I really hope Rift doesn't have achievements. I like goal driven things, the book collecting for instance. But achievement points cause a player to define a game's content and thier completion of said game by those points, which when they have 90%+ of them...well, they start looking for a new game.

Ofcourse that wasn't the only factor in my quitting WoW after all this time and money, outdated graphics, same old fight mechanics where us experienced WoWers would call a new boss by an old bosses name because it was the same fight only with a demon instead of a dragon, or a dragon instead of a demon. The ways Blizzard tried to be innovative ruined a lot of things people liked, and yes some of the innovations fixed certain problems, but they caused bigger problems. Blizzard took WoW, and made it into a cash cow. Thier expansions were only new content, rather than trying to evolve the MMO genre.

Rift on the other hand, is the game Blizzard SHOULD have made instead of expansions. WoW 2.0, the next step in MMOs. Improving on all the things that were good, to make them great, to add new mechanics never done before in an MMO. To have server stability, high-res graphics, and dynamic content. Guild Wars 2 is looking similar in all these regards, and thankfully is F2P so I will be able to play it and Rift while only paying 1 subscription (Rift's). These companies deserve the money I paid to Blizzard for 6 years of same-old same-old. I just did the math, 1300$ not counting server transfers/faction transfers/celestial steed+other mounts+minipets. All for them to NOT improve the genre. This is why so many are WoW bashing. Is it right? No, they chose to play it for as long as they did. Is it justified? Yes, because Blizzard did not act responsibly. They got greedy. Atleast that's how I feel about it.

Soulwalker

Aww...looks like all the kids are growing up lol, although i find it extremely hilarious how it took a lot of you 6 years to realise what a crap game it is

Quote Originally Posted by Nock View Post
    I really hope Rift doesn't have achievements. I like goal driven things, the book collecting for instance.
    Rift does have achievements and collections, among other things.

It really comes down to how you play. Driven by doing achievements; getting all collections; raiding only; just trying to have fun; etc. If you limit yourself on what you do in a game, you will miss out on other stuff that might have kept the enjoyment going.

Djevik

I rather do like achievements as just something to get as you progress through the game to have some drive to keep moving forward, but I don't really want it to become about them where you have to have this and that achievement just to get into a group to do some instance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4