+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Is RIFT the new Vanilla WoW?

Rift Disciple

Default Is RIFT the new Vanilla WoW?

This is for those seasoned WoW players who swithed to RIFT. I only played WoW for 6 months after Cata came out (and some Cata beta testing), so I never got to play vanilla WoW. Everyone says it was the greatest, and WoW only went downhill from there, especially since WotLK.

So, is Rift the new Vanilla WoW? I'm enjoying it a lot and hope it stays that way.

Rift? Being an improved version of Vanilla WoW?

OP, end of february has called and it wants its conclusion back.

Plane Touched

Personally for me. Rift isn't even close to Vanilla WoW. It could be because MMOs were in there infancy really back then and it was a pretty new concept like Doom was back in the day. I know we had EQ and I played it but nothing IMO, sucked me in more than WoW. I just loved its feel and GFX style.

Do I think RIFT is better than the WoW we have today? Yes I do. I left WoW before WoTLK and by then I really didn't like the direction the game was going in. Do I think RIFT is a Clone of WoW then I would have to say Yes but that could be said really about all MMOs that followed Everquest as they all steal ideas from the one before and would be pretty foolish not to go with a winning idea.

RIFT does also do a lot of things badly and sometimes feels like a MMO of the early 2000s.

We only just got Addons. There's no Predefined mailing list. No multi configuration (Handy For Raids/Invasions on lesser PCs). We still haven't got a way of making our bags, One big bag. Pop in NPCs and GFX in general (Not all people experience this).

Overall though, I do like RIFT a lot and considering that I haven't really committed to a MMO since I quit WoW (I've played them all) then that says a lot for RIFT.
    Last edited by Loxy41; 10-26-2011 at 03:36 AM.
    I also heard the flouride in the toothpaste is part of Stalin's mind control plot to turn mankind into a race of super robots to fight the Martian invaders.
    Originally Posted by Mr Spock
    (One of those rift players that reads the forums but never posts because I am too busy playing the game.)

Rift Master

biggest difference is that vanilla had a lot more players that wanted an MMORPG not a follow the leader FPS.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by rrajao View Post
    This is for those seasoned WoW players who swithed to RIFT. I only played WoW for 6 months after Cata came out (and some Cata beta testing), so I never got to play vanilla WoW. Everyone says it was the greatest, and WoW only went downhill from there, especially since WotLK.
    Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Every MMO I've ever played (5 so far) has had the nostalgia brigade who say it was better 'back in the day'. The 'vanilla' WOW those are talking about never existed, it was nothing like the Nirvana they think they remember.

Rift Disciple

Rift is nowhere close to vanilla WoW. There were no daily quests. There was no dungeon finder. Dungeons were long, sprawling masses that took hours to complete. Tank AoE threat almost didn't exist. Raid boss encounters had limited scripting and dungeon bosses had almost none. Epics came from raids and rank 10+ pvp, with a few very rare exceptions.

The list could go on and on. WoW has evolved a lot over the years to the point where its almost not the same game anymore. If you really feel the need to compare Rift to WoW then Rift is closer to mid-WotLK WoW.

My memory of Vanilla WoW > Vanilla WoW

Back then, I had really only played Everquest, UO and Shadowbane. So when WoW came out I was pretty psyched, since I loved the Warcraft games with a passion. I really didn't enjoy everquest that much but everything I hated about EQ, WoW did right.

The world was pretty, open, people everywhere, pvp everywhere (pvp server and there were NO BGs back then... part of my "great memories" of Vanilla WoW), etc etc. But more than anything- the whole thing just felt new.

Chances are if I went back to play Vanilla WoW again, I would not be near as impressed. So, chances are Rift is better than vanilla WoW was thanks to the graphics and additional features, but I'll always remember vanilla WoW more fondly.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by darknazgul View Post
    Rift is nowhere close to vanilla WoW. There were no daily quests. There was no dungeon finder. Dungeons were long, sprawling masses that took hours to complete. Tank AoE threat almost didn't exist. Raid boss encounters had limited scripting and dungeon bosses had almost none. Epics came from raids and rank 10+ pvp, with a few very rare exceptions.

The list could go on and on. WoW has evolved a lot over the years to the point where its almost not the same game anymore. If you really feel the need to compare Rift to WoW then Rift is closer to mid-WotLK WoW.
    Raiders love harping how great/challenging Vanilla was but there were maybe like 6 or 7 individual fights across the 4 40mans + 2 20mans + Onyxia that were actually fun, the rest were dull beyond compare *cough* all of MC except Ragnaros *cough*

Although LBRS sucked as an actual instance due to sheer size, it was really well built and actually felt like a giant underground city. Was a shame they never really did anything useful with it, though it was fun learning how to solo to the forge...
    Last edited by Steejee; 10-26-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Telaran

Lets see, what I did on WoW classic:

1) hunt turtles
    2) hunt wolves
    3) hunt yetis
    100) did battlegrouns
    101) did instances

Hmmmm, I think that I spend most of my classic WoW times by grinding. Closest to WoW classic you would get if you would play Lotro with Champion or Hunter so that you aim to do all kill X amount of mobs quests and would have profession which helps on that.

Add there raiding from Rift Rift events (no, not Rift raiding but instead those Outwold Rift Events) especially part where everyone runs after each other to next boss and then tries to down it asap while seeing party members dying here and there and you have it.

Oh and instances, combine that place where second boss is werewolf with that level 50 molten instance and you start to be really close. Now, remove all required tactic and instead add there dozen more trash pack between boss and dadaa you have classic WoW instances.

Then again I'm proud that I did play that game and I actually did love it.

Ascendant

So, is Rift the new Vanilla WoW? I'm enjoying it a lot and hope it stays that way.
    I took my Level 80 to 84 and then could stomach WoW no more. And yet I was there at the TBC and on the first boat to Northrend.. But Worgans and Goblins and silly snotty noses, trikes, rockets and the massive increase in DPS power and health just made no sense. In the days of Vanilla it was a more solid structured game. I didn't mind TBC, but Wrath was a mess. So yes it would be nice to see Rift grow into a better Vanilla WoW, though I doubt it given the lack of depth to the game. What is kinda sad is that Rift actually may be our last best hope, considering the games coming out later this year. None of which can hold a candle to WoW in the good days. Dunno who Blizzard's target player base is anymore. Kinda think its more an Asian market given the Panda nonsense they are bringing in. Saying that I think they are stuck with their outdated game engine and cannot do much with it. Trion have more options and hopefully they will develop them without resorting to childish nonsense.

Sword of Telara

I've played RIFT, WoW, and Guild Wars and I think RIFT is more like Guild Wars than WoW.

Far from it. Vanilla WoW was actually challenging and a large portion of it required grouping. No one bought it for a single player game.
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow Bro View Post
    and a large portion of it required grouping..
    And for that reason, if it were launched today it would bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by darknazgul View Post

This guy has it right. I was there and he hits the nail on the head. With that said I enjoyed the Wrath continent. But hated most of the mechanical changes the made to the game as well as the overall watering down of difficulty that had started with that expansion. Which is the thing that has kept me interested in Rift. I feel they still have difficult content. If they would have made epics actually rare and epic like vanilla WoW I would have been ecstatic. You can't call gear "epics" anymore because epics are everywhere. Epics are the new "rares" (even though this isn't really true) and Legendaries are the new "epics". I personally have only seen two legendaries in Rift. Which makes them pretty epic.

Rift Disciple

As some have stated memories of Vanilla Wow are far greater than Vanilla Wow actually was. It was definitely the first of its kind in terms of scale, graphics, story depth, leveling times, variety, etc... not that others didn't have one or two but WoW was really the first to have it all. But people remember it far to fondly. Running from Darnassus to Westfall the first time and it taking almost a dang hour was ridiculous. Instances that were just a constant wipefest and took forever to complete. When Scholo was a 10 man and it took 3 hours to get through... or LBRS which could literally take five hours or more to do it all. Mob density was so high in some places you would just have to corpse run over and over again to get where you were going if it was above your level. 40 man raids were a joke. It took two hours just to get everyone in one place and ready to pull the first trash mob.

Rift is much more polished than WoW was in its infancy. WoW broke a lot of barriers and learned over the years what the majority of its player base was crying out for, and Rift as well as many others have tried to learn what did or didn't work and evolve that into a new game that they would pray would be as successful. Due to the changes in technology and customer expectation it's hard to compare rift to vanilla wow. it's a bit like comparing Plasma TV to a Console TV. At the time they were amazing and the nostalgia puts a nice shine on them... but given the option we'd never choose a console over a plasma these days lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast