+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GW2 chatter box thread

Default GW2 chatter box thread

GW2? epic, no holy trinity, no tanks/heals/dps, mega massive dynamic persistent world with awesome dynamic events where my actions matter? personal homes balanced system cool graphics and races, no class's just professions more awesome Well built underwater combat and unique skill system that's grand! Being able to inadvertently setting some titanic monster on the loose bonus and pure lol. The ability to merge items to get what stats and look i want great!

The list goes on and on, i love rift but sadly i have to admit i might very well drop it when gw2 hits it looks like it will satisfy what i crave in an mmo and more.

But anyhow this is my thread for people to chat about gw2 to both enjoy talking about it and so those of us who look forward to playing it can enjoy talking about it with others who share that interest.
    I fight with honor, I play fair, I don't attack unless attacked first, I play my own way, I don't care if that makes me a relic that's just who I am so deal with it.

I'm not all that excited about GW2. But I have heard a lot of good things about the game. Its my understanding GW2 will have a cash shop and based on that alone I cant pay the game. Devs have said the cash shops are for people to show their support for the game. I believe in showing my support by buying the game and if the game meets my standards. I will continue to show my support in a monthly sub.
    Last edited by Soopaman; 10-24-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Having more fun on the forums than i am in game.

Soulwalker

It looks awesome. I dig the fact that they're hell-bent to break some of the old "rules" of MMOs.

I'll give it a try - and if they pull it off I'll probably switch over.

Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    I'm not all that excited about GW2. But I have heard a lot of good things about the game. Its my understanding GW2 will have a cash shop and based on that alone I cant pay the game. Devs have said the cash shops are for people to show their support for the game. I believe in showing my support by buying the game and if the game meets my standards. I will continue to show my support in a monthly sub.
    there is no monthly sub, and last i checked the "cash shop" was for purely cosmetic items. its a pvp centric game, adding actual combat bonuses from cash would be silly.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

People have told me that combat is more "active" in some way -- and some of them say this means more twitch, others just no auto-attack, etcetera. What's the scoop?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    there is no monthly sub, and last i checked the "cash shop" was for purely cosmetic items. its a pvp centric game, adding actual combat bonuses from cash would be silly.
    No GW2 is not pvp focused Arena net is simply saying that you can do whatever you want, pure pvp or pve or both without a big hassle to balance them. They plan to have several methods of pvp including a 2 week long battle royal of sorts between your realm (aka sever) and 2 others in one big instance that has a massive number of methods to win besides pure player grinding which is talked about here by a very informed person, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HlUn...el_video_title
    But yeah if you love pvp have at it this game will let you do it form square one with no penalty's for being lvl 1

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    People have told me that combat is more "active" in some way -- and some of them say this means more twitch, others just no auto-attack, etcetera. What's the scoop?
    Well basically it means no attack is really set in stone to hit like in rift i shot lets say shadow fire you are running away at an angle you use V to look behind you and see my arrow curve to follow and hit well in GW2 that WON'T happen Arena net is building a combat system where you are encouraged to move dodge and tactically position yourself so yeah if the guy swings his sword and you leap to the side or roll back or a couple of rangers shoot a bunch of arrows at you from two different angles and positions they are not going to hit you at all if you are fast about getting out of the way. Here is a vid i found on youtube that should really help clear that up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxE99_qRfI
    Last edited by GaleSkyring; 10-25-2011 at 01:01 AM.
    I fight with honor, I play fair, I don't attack unless attacked first, I play my own way, I don't care if that makes me a relic that's just who I am so deal with it.

it looks so fun just trying to recover my old accoutn again looks more fair combat system in 1 then rift tbh :/
    Quote Originally Posted by ceodoc View Post
    Happy Trails Khalsa.
    Although I am not one of them, many Defiants will rest more at ease now the "killin" machine has moved on.
    Haha Ciao Doc

Back when it was first announced... I was really excited... though over time it's slowly dwindled. It's ambitious, what they're doing, I just hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol View Post
    Back when it was first announced... I was really excited... though over time it's slowly dwindled. It's ambitious, what they're doing, I just hope it works.
    Yeah i agree its announcement time was kind of premature but it wasn't really a bad thing, and i Have heard Arena net intends to have closed beta up and running in December i think but 100% sure at least before the year is out so I assume we can look forward to a possible release OR open beta next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GaleSkyring View Post
    Yeah i agree its announcement time was kind of premature but it wasn't really a bad thing, and i Have heard Arena net intends to have closed beta up and running in December i think but 100% sure at least before the year is out so I assume we can look forward to a possible release OR open beta next year.
    They were originally hoping to start the Beta in the middle of 2008 It's good that they are taking the time to get it right, I've just been pinning my hopes on it for the last 4 years so I can't help but feel it'll fall far from expectations in my book due to my personal overhype

They were originally hoping to start the Beta in the middle of 2008 It's good that they are taking the time to get it right, I've just been pinning my hopes on it for the last 4 years so I can't help but feel it'll fall far from expectations in my book due to my personal overhype
    Well this year is not far from a close, so closed beta could start any day now but once closed beta goes off then that means it will be a big step closer to release or open beta so next year holds a lot of promise, Besides Arena net got some awards at game conventions this year I really doubt they would get those if they were not truthfully planing to release the game in the near future, besides 3-4 years is a better production time frame for a game then 3-4 months cause then the developers have more time to fine tune and iron out everything so it will work. And I have also heard they will be kicking closed beta of after they get the final profession put together many are saying *cough cough grunt * mesmer *Cough cough* is the last profession that are working on and getting out of the way before closed beta, there is already a silhouette on the main site's professions page between the guardian and the warrior. And from what i can tell the professions are perhaps one of the most biggest things to program in the game due to their personal story's how those affect the world base don your choices, each professions unique skill and trait system among a number of other things tailored and based around the profession itself so once that last one is done i am sure the game will progress much faster. And once closed beta hits the game will most assuredly speed up as a result of so many people playing it to find glitches and other breaks Arena net might need to fix.

I'd LOVE it to be mesmer. Best class from any game ever. Rift (and every other MMO I've played) has always focused on damage in pvp, whereas the Mesmer was ALWAYS about control. You could lock down a caster, or make a melee kill himself... it required a knowledge of other skills.

I'm in no rush to see the release, but I'd like to get in on the Beta soon. I hope they do something like Rift did... with a number of Betas over various days, lasting a number of months. In which case, I don't see the game releasing until February (I think Christmas is too close now).

I'd LOVE it to be mesmer. Best class from any game ever. Rift (and every other MMO I've played) has always focused on damage in pvp, whereas the Mesmer was ALWAYS about control. You could lock down a caster, or make a melee kill himself... it required a knowledge of other skills.

I'm in no rush to see the release, but I'd like to get in on the Beta soon. I hope they do something like Rift did... with a number of Betas over various days, lasting a number of months. In which case, I don't see the game releasing until February (I think Christmas is too close now).
    Christmas being close has nothing to do with beta honestly, FireFall already declared without a doubt they will increase the size of their current closed beta in Dec, so GW2 starting closed beta in late Nov or any time in Dec isn't far out there Sure that doesn't mean the Dev team wont take a holiday for Christmas close into that but it at the same time doesn't mean they wont spend the rest of the month working on GW2

No GW2 is not pvp focused Arena net is simply saying that you can do whatever you want, pure pvp or pve or both without a big hassle to balance them. They plan to have several methods of pvp including a 2 week long battle royal of sorts between your realm (aka sever) and 2 others in one big instance that has a massive number of methods to win besides pure player grinding which is talked about here by a very informed person, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HlUn...el_video_title
    But yeah if you love pvp have at it this game will let you do it form square one with no penalty's for being lvl 1
    no quests, no raids, and dungeons provide the same gear as crafting with different graphics. on top of a "dynamic" event system slightly more advanced than rifts major invasions. trying to call gw2 anything but pvp centric (especially when the pve matters not at all) is misleading.

dont get me wrong, after being hands on with it the game is shaping up to be great. although that was much earlier this year before the revamp to weapon changes etc. im very much looking forward to it, but the pve needs to be multitudes deeper before you can call it balanced.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

Christmas being close has nothing to do with beta honestly, FireFall already declared without a doubt they will increase the size of their current closed beta in Dec, so GW2 starting closed beta in late Nov or any time in Dec isn't far out there Sure that doesn't mean the Dev team wont take a holiday for Christmas close into that but it at the same time doesn't mean they wont spend the rest of the month working on GW2
    Oh no, what I meant was if GW2 were to release this side of the year, they'd do well to cash in on Christmas sales with a strong marketing campaign. To do that, they'd have to be certain of a release date by the end of November, which would only give us a month and a half to Beta test (which I think would be too short to meet a fixed date, ensuring that it was released bug free).

Most people are recovering financially in January, so I would predict a Feb/March release, much as Rift did. This would also bring all the people who decided SWTOR was not for them in on the Beta. And, should SWTOR be a huge flop, they'd take a massive portion of the SWTOR population who had already decided to leave their previous MMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast