+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Genius

Rift Chaser

Default Genius

I know this post will get locked but I would encourage Trion to definitely pay attention to what Blizzard just did. The Annual Pass they handed players was an AMAZING idea especially with all the other really good MMO competitors that are set to come out in the next year. Giving us D3 for "free" and Guaranteed Beta for simply keeping up our subscription... they hit the ball out of the park with that idea. Especially once you break it down.

Figure I will be paying 60 bucks for D3 regardless of what MMO I may be playing. That effectively makes my wow subscription cost like 10 bucks a month. Plus guaranteed beta access for the next xpac they made marketing history. I really hope Trion can learn something from this and come up with some sort of similar thing to mitigate the massive bleed that SWOTOR will be..

Too me it sounds like blizzard is begging their players to either stay or return with, "hey we will give you this free if you please sub."
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow Bro View Post
    Too me it sounds like blizzard is begging their players to either stay or return with, "hey we will give you this free if you please sub."
    More than begging. Groveling is more like it. Sorta makes me nauseous.. and I didn't even come from that game. Maybe that's why. And maybe I'm looney. Both?
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiddu Krishnamurti
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Funcom did something similar, sub for Age of Conan and get into beta for The Secret World...
    Last edited by Ailene; 10-24-2011 at 08:03 AM.

This thread has horrible written all over it.

From my experience gaming companies hate giving away premium or quality games at a discount. In my opinion Blizz is doing this for 2 reasons. 1st to inflate sell numbers and 2nd the game is not really that good. I was looking forward to playing D3 but now i am a bit concerned about the game. I think i will pass on D3.
    Having more fun on the forums than i am in game.

You're giving them way too much credit.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

It's a good idea, but it's hardly "genius". What it gives them is a way to stem the tide of people leaving WoW.

I do think it's funny, though, that you are gleefully commenting that it makes your WoW sub only $10/month. Annual sub to Rfit is cheaper than that...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I do think it's funny, though, that you are gleefully commenting that it makes your WoW sub only $10/month. Annual sub to Rfit is cheaper than that...
    That stood out for me as well.

I remember thinking it was so cool that I could get a 6-month sub to WoW for $12.99/month. now I take under-$10-a-month for granted in long term subs. I think my CoH and Rift subs are $9/month. (... no, wait. CoH is $12, apparently. I guess I'm confused.)
    Last edited by the_real_seebs; 10-24-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

meh, I am just gonna stick to D3, no interest in WoW what so ever.
    Hoss

Plane Touched

I think we're all qualified to speculate and propose our personal business solutions to a company that merged with Activision for 18.8 billion dollars. And yeah, they're probably begging, or "groveling." You would be too if in June, 2011 you had 11.1 million subscribers and were in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most popular MMO. They probably accomplished that through poorly executed marketing strategies, a deficient sales team, and an inferior product. Besides, I'm sure we're all far more qualified to tell Blizzard how to run its business since most of us are working at Fortune 500 companies in executive roles.

Trion has been very successful thus far and they're impressive. I'd say maybe show some respect for the big daddy and the underdog simultaneously. It's possible to do that just like it's possible to afford subscribing to both (for some of us).

It's a great idea to keep their numbers up, and add a little extra cash to their coffers. It does feel somewhat last gasp however... as I'd wager the majority of those paying for the year will not renew at the end of it as they would have found something new between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    I think we're all qualified to speculate and propose our personal business solutions to a company that merged with Activision for 18.8 billion dollars. And yeah, they're probably begging, or "groveling." You would be too if in June, 2011 you had 11.1 million subscribers and were in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most popular MMO. They probably accomplished that through poorly executed marketing strategies, a deficient sales team, and an inferior product. Besides, I'm sure we're all far more qualified to tell Blizzard how to run its business since most of us are working at Fortune 500 companies in executive roles.
    Of course I'm more than qualified to take over their business model, but many times it is just polite to let the little guys have their moment. Besides, I'm pretty busy right now making Fortune 500 companies, not working for them.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Homebrew, I'd argue that I'm infinitely more qualified to run an MMO than someone who managed to lose nearly a million customers in six months, something I've never done.

Which is to say, cherry-picked numbers aren't very informative. Yes, they were incredibly successful. How profitable are they now? Perhaps more importantly, for us gamers: How well are they treating their gamer subscriber base? (I can't say "customers", because it's clear that the people paying for WoW are the product, not the customer, at this point.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast