+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: The NEXT Golden Age of MMOs

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple orig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    139

    Default The NEXT Golden Age of MMOs

    Ok so I might call EQ 2000-2004 the golden age for MMOs.. but honestly there was only EQ, AC, and a sprinkling of others... It felt good. Looking back it felt great.

    But.. If Rift keeps Climbing and SWToR makes it (as we all assume it will), and WoW:MoP is a big Hit... We might be looking at the NEXT Golden Age of MMOs.

    And if there is still only 1 standing tall and 2 others holding strong.. that will be cool too.

    “Oh greatest of cats, I have need of you!”

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple Storm301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I'll take 1 great MMO over any number of good MMO's. I only have time to play one, and the longer it can hold my attention the better. I played wow for 5 years, Rift has some big shoes to keep filling in the next 4.5 years.

  3. #3
    General of Telara livnthedream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    929

    Default

    the idea of a golden age are over. the idea of grabbing and holding onto a wide swath of the gaming market are pretty much over. the new upcoming niche based mmos are where its at, and where it should be.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple orig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    the idea of a golden age are over. the idea of grabbing and holding onto a wide swath of the gaming market are pretty much over. the new upcoming niche based mmos are where its at, and where it should be.
    In my opinion an age where there are multiple popular and good MMOs is a golden age.

    Just my opinion.. not correcting you.

    whether we have many very different MMOs, aka Niche, or very similiar ones.

    “Oh greatest of cats, I have need of you!”

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orig View Post
    In my opinion an age where there are multiple popular and good MMOs is a golden age.

    Just my opinion.. not correcting you.

    whether we have many very different MMOs, aka Niche, or very similiar ones.
    Agree totally. I'm so excited at all the interesting titles on the market or the games soon to be released. In the early days, there were just a few offerings. As much as I loved AC1, I'm glad to see the evolution of MMOs and all the great things we have to look forward to. SWTOR, GW, Secret World and probably a ton of other games that I haven't been following. All great stuff imo.

  6. #6
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orig View Post
    Ok so I might call EQ 2000-2004 the golden age for MMOs.. but honestly there was only EQ, AC, and a sprinkling of others... It felt good. Looking back it felt great.

    But.. If Rift keeps Climbing and SWToR makes it (as we all assume it will), and WoW:MoP is a big Hit... We might be looking at the NEXT Golden Age of MMOs.
    SWToR will not make it. Its the same as "Warhammer online" They use a well know "World" for the background and throw some random game into it. And it will work the same way as WAR. The hype afore is amazing. They sell x-illions of Boxes, they made a good profit, after 3 mothts the game is almost dead and after 6 months the game is dead - only a few "hardcore" fanboys keep playing it.
    MoP is what - just another WoW Expansion - amazing
    And we will see how Rift is doing - atm it seem stable - at least on my server, and so far i like how things are working.
    /Just my 2ct

  7. #7
    Champion Linfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Back in the early age MMORPG games were just a small slice of the gaming market. The amount of time and money plus complications to build a online 24/7 game was a huge undertaking. On top of that, charging people $8-$10 a month plus paying a full retail price for the game was a big risk. UO, EQ, AC and DAOC where front runners in the pioneer days.

    The problem is the MMO market became a victim of it's own success. Ones these pioneer games were turning in huge profits, everyone jumped on the band wagon. The market became over saturated with MMO games. Some hit big, like WoW, but others spread themselves too thin became vaporware. It still happens today. The gamers who make these games like RIFT, last longer then people just making games to make money.
    Online since 1994. MajorMud, UO, EQ 1/2, AC 1/2 DAOC, Earth and Beyond, Anarchy Online, Horizons, SWG, Lineage 2, WoW, LOTR, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek Online, RIFT!

  8. #8
    Ascendant -Swag-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,024

    Default

    Rift/WoW aren't part of any Golden Age. They're what ended the previous Golden Age.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timrum View Post
    SWToR will not make it. Its the same as "Warhammer online" They use a well know "World" for the background and throw some random game into it. And it will work the same way as WAR. The hype afore is amazing. They sell x-illions of Boxes, they made a good profit, after 3 mothts the game is almost dead and after 6 months the game is dead - only a few "hardcore" fanboys keep playing it.
    MoP is what - just another WoW Expansion - amazing
    And we will see how Rift is doing - atm it seem stable - at least on my server, and so far i like how things are working.
    /Just my 2ct
    Just because you have some inexplicable fear of SWTOR doesn't mean that BioWare "threw some random game" into a "world." I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, to be honest.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default

    WAR was Mythic's attempt to make DAOC in the Warhammer universe.

    TOR will be Bioware's attempt to make an KOTOR in the mmo space. It will be successful for the shear fact that it will be sucking in not only Star Wars fans but Bioware fans as well. Bioware has a good track record of making good RPGs.

    I wouldn't say MMO has had a golden age. It has had a time when there were very few mmos to an overly saturated market. It be like saying Nintendo and Sega were the golden age of video gaming

  11. #11
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    Rift/WoW aren't part of any Golden Age. They're what ended the previous Golden Age.
    No, but Warcraft is, which is what WoW is based on. Warcraft was released in 1994 and continued in to what the OP is referring to as the "Golden Age".

    I also agree that from this point on, I think many games will just be niche types and we won't ever see a WoW again, regardless of what others think. Consoles have gone online, which further takes away from potential subscribers.

    I think what WoW gave people, that you still seem to find in many MMOs, for the first time, was a non-grind feeling. Where questing turned out to be the best way to level etc. Some of the niche games are just horrible with the grind, like DAoC, Runescape, Rappelz etc.

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Personally I think the next gen mmo's will start with Guildwar 2 then EQ3 and probably Titan, can't really call Swtor next gen, it plays like Wow/Rift etc but with way, way too many cutscenes, thank god for spacebar(skip)!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts