+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Input Please

Soulwalker

Default Pirate Input Please

Hey guys!
    As a college student I've been told to write an annotated bibliography about some way the internet/social media has changed the world. So I said, “Hey, why not do it on internet piracy?” What could be better than to write on than the movement and lifestyle of a pirate, the sharer of information. So please, help a fellow pirate use your opinions as a source:

1. As an individual, what do you value? (eg. Truthfulness, Promptness, Material Items, etc.)

2. Which values actually attribute to your becoming a pirate?

3. What age did you begin pirating media? How long ago did you start?

4. What was your first pirating medium (eg. Napster, Limewire, Bit Torrent, etc.)?

5. Do you remember what you pirated when you began? (Not necessarily exactly what file, just what type, a lot of people start with one file type then broaden after they start.)

6. Would you ever stop pirating? What would make you stop?

7. Have you gotten caught in any way (eg. IP sending a letter asking to stop, college freezing internet due to infringement [this happened to me.])

8. When you download something, do you seed?

9. If you like something you download, do you buy the real thing?

10. What do you do in real life?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions! Any input is appreciated, even if you answer just one or two questions.

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gazaway View Post
    1. As an individual, what do you value? (eg. Truthfulness, Promptness, Material Items, etc.)
    I would say correct information. I hate it when people give me incorrect information and I always try to make sure what I say is also true

Inability to obtain what I would like

Not going to give an age but started about 5-6 years ago if I am not mistaken

4. What was your first pirating medium (eg. Napster, Limewire, Bit Torrent, etc.)?
    Torrents

5. Do you remember what you pirated when you began? (Not necessarily exactly what file, just what type, a lot of people start with one file type then broaden after they start.)
    A music cd and an anime

I would continue until the anime's I watch would be available quickly after the Japanese air date. I stopped downloading music as I don't listen to cd's that often any more and I mainly watch them on youtube now.

7. Have you gotten caught in any way (eg. IP sending a letter asking to stop, college freezing internet due to infringement [this happened to me.])
    None what so ever. This might be partly have to do with that I live in the Netherlands where downloading music and video are considerer making home-copy's of them which is legal here. (Downloading Software is illegal however)

I always seed for atleast 110% (or a minimum of 2 hours if it's a really fast upload for when they are fast uploads)

Yes I do however anime are really hard to get here in the Netherlands especially with decent translation as the Dutch translations always suck balls (I prefer English subs even though I am Dutch). As a result my anime dvd collection is fairly small

I work in a Laboratory testing all kinds of minerals (Copper ore, Cobalt ore, Iron ore, Manganese ore, Gold ore, Silver ore, etc.). I measure all kind of impurities (Sulphur, Carbon, silicon etc.) in the ore's aswell as the Concentration of the wanted metals. I use a large amount of difference methods for this like ICP, XRF, AAS and a few others. However that is only a small part of the job and the main part is developing new methods to measure these minerals so we can measure the difference concentrations more accurately and of course I then also have to validated the new methods.
    I simple answered your questions in the quote.
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offense, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

Not sure what to answer with, too deep for the moment.
    Lack of funds
    12 I think
    Something similar to limewire, not sure the exact program though.
    Music, then a game or 2
    When it becomes far too difficult to pirate that it's not worth it anymore I'll stop.
    No
    Sometimes
    No
    College, work, Army reservist

I don't view it as stealing since it lacks a physical body, and they weren't going to get money from me either way. I don't make a profit off them, it's purely personal use.
    Last edited by phyraxian; 10-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Define "pirating". I share information on a fairly epic scale, but so far as I can tell, I'm not pirating anything.

Open Source, represent!
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Define "pirating". I share information on a fairly epic scale, but so far as I can tell, I'm not pirating anything.

Open Source, represent!
    I wouldn't count open source as a form of pirating.

Soulwalker

For my paper, I'm defining 'pirating' as the act of using some sort of peer to peer medium to share copyrighted material on a broad scope with the knowledge that the original creators of the material will not gain any financial compensation that they believe is entitled.

Thanks for the replies so far guys! Keep em coming please.

If I were a Pirate (totally not a pirate >.>) Yarrr!

Fun, warmth and relaxation... being comfortable, happy. Are those values?

As a kid, a lack of money. It wasn't so easy back then on dial-up... but didn't have another option to listen to the music that my friends could.

About 10 years ago, at around 14

WinMX, then Limewire.

Music, just individual songs.

The definition would need to change for me to stop. It's copyright infringement to copy songs you buy onto an i-Pod. The price of products would have to be reduced and/or hard punishment would have to come in.

I was made to stop for a while as a kid by my parents when it was in the news... but only for a few months. Other than that, no.

Yes, but usually only ends up as a .25 ratio

I very rarely download games, though if I like them I tend to buy, as well as any sequels. If I like music, I will see the band live and always buy merch at the shows (and will buy the CD if I can get it signed too). I don't buy TV shows/movies, though will pay for Blu-ray if I really like it.

Currently unemployed (Previously support worker/employment consultant).

Music is a huge passion of mine, I tend to download quite a bit of it and make note of the bands/artists I enjoy. I often go to concerts to see the bands live and have seen hundreds to date (tickets per gig varying from £10 to £200). I have bought merch (t-shirt/hat/hoody/etc) from every gig I have ever been to (huge wardrobe full of stuff I never wear), though would have not discovered the majority of those bands had I not "pirated". I would not shell out £10-15 on an album for a band I'd never heard of.

I would never have bought 99% of the music I've heard, or TV/movies I've watched, yet anti-piracy organisations include everything in "lost sales" when they spout their figures each time they want to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazaway View Post
    For my paper, I'm defining 'pirating' as the act of using some sort of peer to peer medium to share copyrighted material on a broad scope with the knowledge that the original creators of the material will not gain any financial compensation that they believe is entitled.
    Wow, that's... I mean, heck, even when I did get some warez back in the 80s, I don't think I ever did that.

What about, say, stuff that the copyright holder does sell, but has also authorized for free distribution? Consider the Baen Books thing of making ebooks of a bunch of their stuff freely available, on CDs that say "this CD may be copied or shared, but not sold". Obviously, they are still selling those books. Heck, I have paid for some ebooks of stuff that I am pretty sure I have from one of those CDs. But are the people copying those CDs "pirates"? I think you need to focus less on financial compensation, and more on authorized/unauthorized, to get meaningful results.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Wow, that's... I mean, heck, even when I did get some warez back in the 80s, I don't think I ever did that.

What about, say, stuff that the copyright holder does sell, but has also authorized for free distribution? Consider the Baen Books thing of making ebooks of a bunch of their stuff freely available, on CDs that say "this CD may be copied or shared, but not sold". Obviously, they are still selling those books. Heck, I have paid for some ebooks of stuff that I am pretty sure I have from one of those CDs. But are the people copying those CDs "pirates"? I think you need to focus less on financial compensation, and more on authorized/unauthorized, to get meaningful results.
    The definition still stands. If they are given permission to GIVEAWAY, but not SELL the CDs then they aren't breaking any rules. But if they SELL the CD and don't give any compensation to the copyright holder, then it is bootlegging. But if something is given away, and was meant to be given away it isn't pirating.

My definition is defined perfectly fine, even with your case given. Those people you mentioned are not "pirates" because they did not copy copyrighted material that was intended to be sold. They copied copyrighted material that was intended to be copied. You see the difference?

Well, that's the tricky bit. The same piece of material may exist both to be sold AND to be copied. And yes, I've bought stuff that I had free copies of with permission. There was an artist I liked whom I encountered through free MP3s distributed with permission -- so I went and bought them. Files were, I believe, identical, but one's "sold" and one's "copied".

... The world is a strange place.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

"Piracy is a war-like act committed by non-state actors (private parties not affiliated with any government) against other parties at sea. The term applies especially to acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea. People who engage in these acts are called pirates."

hmmm didn't know I could do that on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawPlankton View Post
    "Piracy is a war-like act committed by non-state actors (private parties not affiliated with any government) against other parties at sea. The term applies especially to acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea. People who engage in these acts are called pirates."

Chainsaw? Chainsaw Plankton from Eve? Is that really you?

Anyways lets get to filling this out...

Comradery. Good Food. Good drink. The wind behind my sails. The life on the open seas.

Choosing to be press ganged rather than walking the plank.

I was a young'in at 16. It all started around 1719 for me.

Annamaboa, off the Gold coast of Africa

You never forget your first. For me it was a little Barbados Sloop called Princess.

Most likely not. Either cannons or Scurvy.

Nay

We usually scrub the hull

Nay, we just look for some more of it being hauled by somebody else

Nothing I can prove

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions! Any input is appreciated, even if you answer just one or two questions.
    Last edited by Cassiel of harrow; 10-26-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Plane Touched

Since this is for a study, I'm going to provide brutally honest answers so try not to judge too harshly.

Humor. Ambition. Intelligence. Speed. Convenience.

The last two. And I guess I'm morally ambiguous when it comes to petty theft as an adult. Everyone that pirates and sleeps well at night is. Besides, it feels good to get something for free.

When I was about 15. That was over 15 years ago.

BBS (Bulletin Board Systems).

I think it started with PC games.

Probably not. Sometimes I download things just because I can, and it feels good to get away with it.

No. I'm reasonably cautious and have a paid account with a few places.

Inadvertently, all the time. I'm almost never staring at my screen when the download finishes.

Rarely, if ever.

Digital Art Director.
    Last edited by Homebrew; 10-26-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    Chainsaw? Chainsaw Plankton from Eve? Is that really you?
    it would happen to be me hai o/

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawPlankton View Post

Yes, because all words only have one meaning. That's why when I call you an *** I clearly only mean to call you a donkey.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast