+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Any audiophiles out there? (Car Audio Enthusiasts, fti...)

  1. #1
    Champion of Telara Stormbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Home.
    Posts
    1,158

    Default Any audiophiles out there? (Car Audio Enthusiasts, fti...)

    I want to add a sub to the Jetta I'm driving around. It doesn't have to be a dual 12" system or anything fancy like that. (I actually had very good performance out of an 8" tube in my Z24.)

    I was considering an 8 or 10" sub and amp, but I don't actually know much about that sort of stuff.

    Any recommendations? Links to stuff on websites like newegg.com or anywhere else that's reliable would be fantastic.

    Thanks in advance!


    Storm
    Last edited by Stormbow; 10-21-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Don't waste your time replying to me directly in a post.

    These forums are garbage and no threads can be subscribed to properly since 2010.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbow View Post
    I want to add a sub to the Jetta I'm driving around. It doesn't have to be a dual 12" system or anything fancy like that. (I actually had very good performance out of an 8" tube in my Z24.)

    I was considering an 8 or 10" sub and amp, but I don't actually know much about that sort of stuff.

    Any recommendations? Links to stuff on websites like newegg.com or anywhere else that's reliable would be fantastic.

    Thanks in advance!


    Storm
    Focal, Its awesome. Dynaudio makes good stuff as well but its a bit more expensive. JL audio is good but I think Focal is better in terms of audio quality. As for the sub itself, what sort of music do you listen to?

    http://www.crutchfield.com/g_520/Com...brank8%5d11%22
    Last edited by Khelendross; 10-22-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  3. #3
    Champion Cassiel of harrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    519

    Default

    I've been debating this for some time myself. I had a pair of Fosgate 10's in my pickup with a 650w amp which I really enjoyed. I sold it with the truck, mainly because they were really the only speakers left that hadn't blown in it, but I still listen to the same music and it just doesn't have the same feeling, literally, as it used to before.
    I've got more room in the Disco 2 but one of the reasons why I bought it was to have more room to haul things inside rather than in a bed. Not to mention I'm already half deaf from years of loud music and guns which leaves a constant ringing in my left ear. But on the other hand it would be like having a box within a box and I remember how my music used to sound in my Bronco 2 even with lower grade equipment.
    I think at the least I want to upgrade the stereo to something that plays the ipod direct so I don't get random bleeds from passing cars as with my current set up.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    General stuff:

    Components are always better (mostly because of the crossover which allows proper frequency distribution for more even sound)

    For rock, metal jazz, etc. Subs are important but you want to go with a more accurate, faster sub as opposed to one that just hits like a mack truck

    For rap, and music where you want that boomy buzz you want something that hits hard, resonates well without droning and preferrably a ported enclosure.

    For rock and other music styles where more detailed, precise bass is required you want a sealed enclosure.

    Make sure your speaker is adequately powered, amp is just as important as the sub. Also proper cabling to handle said power is also very important.

    Not all watts are created equal. There is no standard of measurement for watts (much like contrast ratio for tv's) so 10,000 watts of crappy power is not necessarily better than 1000 watts of clean, high quality power.

    Much like with home audio, you eventually hit a ceiling where more expensive doesn't necessarily mean its better, thats less true with car audio but there are still companies that put out $3000 component speakers that sound the same as a 700 dollar component speaker. And thats not to say the company is trying to screw you over, but most people in my experience can't tell the difference betweem a Focal KPower speaker and a Focal Utopia series speaker. Its different when you get into competitions and stuff like that but for standard everyday use you do hit a ceiling where spending extra money is just a waste.

    Good quality audio makes a massive difference, if you ever get a chance go to a local home theater place (not best buy, a real one) with a piece of music you think you know really well. You will be amazed at the things you hear from a high quality speaker that you thought weren't even there.

    Lastly, I sold some car audio but I was never an installer, and my primary area of expertise was home audio. My Car Audio knowledge is somewhat limited, but if you have questions about specific brands and what not I can give you my personal opinion. Just ask.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara Stormbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Home.
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Sorry for the slow replies here guys, Trion still hasn't fixed the instant notifications by email apparently and I wasn't aware anyone had replied until I just now thought to check the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    What sort of music do you listen to?[/url]
    I listen to a lot of purely bass music (Bass Incorporated, Vicious Bass), rap / gangster rap, R&B, and ... wait for it ... country. (If that's not the weirdest combination of likes, I don't know what is really... Maybe some Gaelic Irish music and ganster rap? But anyway...)

    I went in to the only car audio store here where I live, and they wanted about $600 to put a sub in the trunk. Unfortunately, I'm a cheap S.O.B. and I'm trying to price around and see if I can cut that price down some. (I got some seriously surprising 300 watt, 3-way speakers for the doors for $17 a pair.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    . . .

    For rap, and music where you want that boomy buzz you want something that hits hard, resonates well without droning and preferrably a ported enclosure.

    For rock and other music styles where more detailed, precise bass is required you want a sealed enclosure.
    What would a sealed enclosure do for rap and the like? That was actually what the store here was trying to set me up with, a sealed enclosure.
    Don't waste your time replying to me directly in a post.

    These forums are garbage and no threads can be subscribed to properly since 2010.

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Stormbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Home.
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    I was looking at something like this:

    Scosche Se10 10-Inch Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure

    PYLE PLW10RD 10-Inch 600 Watt Subwoofer

    Pyramid PB717X 1,000-Watt 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier

    Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

    I'm planning on adding an inline volume control to the amp/sub too, so I can turn it off when the wife is in the car.

    Are those components compatible? I already know that speaker will be more than enough bass for my purposes, it's not a show car by any means, and the aforementioned 300w speakers are doing amazing for handling all the mids and highs.

    My main concern here, I guess, is "Am I getting the right amp for this subwoofer?" and "Is this the right wiring kit for the amp?".
    Don't waste your time replying to me directly in a post.

    These forums are garbage and no threads can be subscribed to properly since 2010.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbow View Post
    I was looking at something like this:

    Scosche Se10 10-Inch Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure

    PYLE PLW10RD 10-Inch 600 Watt Subwoofer

    Pyramid PB717X 1,000-Watt 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier

    Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

    I'm planning on adding an inline volume control to the amp/sub too, so I can turn it off when the wife is in the car.

    Are those components compatible? I already know that speaker will be more than enough bass for my purposes, it's not a show car by any means, and the aforementioned 300w speakers are doing amazing for handling all the mids and highs.

    My main concern here, I guess, is "Am I getting the right amp for this subwoofer?" and "Is this the right wiring kit for the amp?".
    Go with this

    http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1369313...nches%40_%7c10

    For the type of music you listen to you wanted that ported enclosue because it makes it alot less buzzy on low bass notes. And JL is one of the bess for bass heavy music, they hit very hard but are relatively clear. If the bulk of what you listen to is R&B, Rap, D&B, etc. The Galeic music and Techno would probably go better with something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/s_091SB27...=Focal+Sub+box which is slightly more but can handle more styles of music.

    699.99 sounds about right honestly. Maybe not necessarily for what he was trying to sell you, but with installation and wiring thats probably about what you are looking at for the JL, maybe a tad less. The box on the JL and Focal is already built so that will save you some money.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 10-25-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Oh and with that sub you will probably want to go with this amp

    http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1362501...Audio+Mono+Amp

    Keep in mind with that amp you need a 4 gauge kit.

    The kit you posted above is I think for speakers and would have things you don't need.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 10-25-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Its also better to save and get something good then to buy something thats crap and be stuck with it. Those things you listed above, I have never heard of any of them.The wiring isn't a huge deal so if you they have a 4 gauge kit I would probably pick that up, cause the price is good. However I would stay far away from that sub and amp.

    However for the sub and box and the amp you want to go with at least a comnpany thats reputable. If you like the idea of the JL, I'd take that model and shop around and see if you can find it cheaper elsewhere (I'm sure you can, I just linked Crutchfield cause I know they have it). Its possible you can get everything for in the 500 doillar range, which is a damn good deal for a sub with everything.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  10. #10
    Ascendant Rottweiler-STi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,252

    Default

    Medusa and I used to have exterme sound systems. He would go to regional competitions with his and I believe his competition max was ~142 db

    IMO Adire Audio made the best subs the Brahmas were a beast (I used the Shivas), but seems that their owners split and the company no longer exists

    Here's pics of my old STi which I sold back in 2010
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/545618...impreza/page-3
    Last edited by Rottweiler-STi; 10-26-2011 at 11:17 AM.

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    Medusa and I used to have exterme sound systems. He would go to regional competitions with his and I believe his competition max was ~142 db

    IMO Adire Audio made the best subs the Brahmas were a beast (I used the Shivas), but seems that their owners split and the company no longer exists

    Here's pics of my old STi which I sold back in 2010
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/545618...impreza/page-3
    Man thats nice. A friend of mine actually had a pullout amp rack installed in the back of his truck, capacitor was mounted there too. He had 2 Focal 13" Utopias. And two of their shallow mount door subs, with the 3 way components and the crazy crossblock tuner they have, which was mounted in the console. All Audisson Amps that he got before the company went under or changed hands (can't remember which it was). Either way those were just ridiculous amps.

    Mine is fairly modest, by his standards but still fairly high end (thank god for employee discounts eh? gotta love 70% off). Even so I probably spent about 2 grand on everything. The front speakers are Focal KPower Series 1 2 way components (not the ones with the heatsink unfortunately) and the rears are Focal Polyglass Series 2 6x9 coax's, adjustable tweeter's though which is nice. The Sub is a custom made sealed box with a Focal 11" K Power sub. a 4x100 amp for the speakers and a 1x500 amp for the sub. Both Focal amps (those were new at the time so I got them for 80% off) they are stupid expensive now, and they introduced a less expensive line i think that fits in a more reasonable price range. All the wiring is JL Audio. Stereo is a Pioneer, I had a better Alpine but the audio outs fried so I had to replace it.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 10-26-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple Melliya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Can ya'll stop playing that crap so loud...really, really really irritates me.

    My little niece told me to tell all of you that play loud music, if she was president she would extinguish you all from the street.

    I'm gonna make sure she gets in politics!!

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Play it louder just for you.

    A sealed box is better for fast, rapid music, music with a lot of drum pounding. Being sealed it helps with snap rebounds and helps to produce a more true sound.

    Rap and less rapid bass notes would sound OK on a sealed system, but not nearly as good as on a ported box. The long notes common in the type of music you like (yes, even country) will benefit more from the ported box. In contrast to the sealed box, a ported box will allow the speaker to breath, and not be forced back into position as rapidly, allow once again, a more true sound for the type of music you are listening too.

    One word of warning, be wary listening to any kind of heavy metal on powerful ported systems, double bass drums tends to eat them.

  14. #14
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuluka View Post
    Play it louder just for you.

    A sealed box is better for fast, rapid music, music with a lot of drum pounding. Being sealed it helps with snap rebounds and helps to produce a more true sound.

    Rap and less rapid bass notes would sound OK on a sealed system, but not nearly as good as on a ported box. The long notes common in the type of music you like (yes, even country) will benefit more from the ported box. In contrast to the sealed box, a ported box will allow the speaker to breath, and not be forced back into position as rapidly, allow once again, a more true sound for the type of music you are listening too.

    One word of warning, be wary listening to any kind of heavy metal on powerful ported systems, double bass drums tends to eat them.
    Yea thats pretty much why I had to get a sealed box. Since I listen to alot of rock and metal, I needed the fast and tight movement.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts