+ Reply to Thread

Thread: everquest vs modern mmo's

Telaran

Default everquest vs modern mmo's

i recently resubbed to EQ.. playing again has made me think of games in comparison.

Games today are very easy and simple, when it comes to gameplay. Modern games have a lot more content, more character statistics/currencies and grind, but the actual gameplay is very basic. You have everything set up for you. Over time you learn a rotation, learn which gear you need, and learn the linear setup of zones and tiers.

Everquest seems to be a game that was thrown together, in design. A LOT of the games mechanics and setup was and still is completely unknown. It has depth but the devs hide a lot of information. There were no maps of the game in it's early years. Everything was learned from experience of the user, or from others in-game.

Now, in Modern Games, everything is mapped out, with quest npcs standing in front of you as you log in, telling you to go to location A, which leads you to location B, etc.

IF eq wasn't as old as it is, or if a similar game existed, i probably wouldn't be subbed to Rift. Guild Wars1 seemed to have similar spirit, but maybe this depends on the user's experience. Either way, games are turning into WOW rather than something that requires user discovery, and nonlinear gameplay.

Ascendant

As much as I am intrigued by the EQ hard aspects and non hand holding, I just don't have time to play something like that. Many of the MMOers that loved EQ (that was before my MMO career started) are not the care free 20 somethings that they used to be. RL gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by astrall View Post
    i recently resubbed to EQ.. playing again has made me think of games in comparison.

Games today are very easy and simple, when it comes to gameplay. Modern games have a lot more content, more character statistics/currencies and grind, but the actual gameplay is very basic. You have everything set up for you. Over time you learn a rotation, learn which gear you need, and learn the linear setup of zones and tiers.

Everquest seems to be a game that was thrown together, in design. A LOT of the games mechanics and setup was and still is completely unknown. It has depth but the devs hide a lot of information. There were no maps of the game in it's early years. Everything was learned from experience of the user, or from others in-game.

Now, in Modern Games, everything is mapped out, with quest npcs standing in front of you as you log in, telling you to go to location A, which leads you to location B, etc.

IF eq wasn't as old as it is, or if a similar game existed, i probably wouldn't be subbed to Rift. Guild Wars1 seemed to have similar spirit, but maybe this depends on the user's experience. Either way, games are turning into WOW rather than something that requires user discovery, and nonlinear gameplay.
    We just had two of these threads in the last week or so, are you such a unique snowflake that you have to drag this dead horse out and beat it all over again or are you capable of using the forum search feature and read what people have already said on this topic? Nothing you have to say has not been said before.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    We just had two of these threads in the last week or so, are you such a unique snowflake that you have to drag this dead horse out and beat it all over again or are you capable of using the forum search feature and read what people have already said on this topic? Nothing you have to say has not been said before.
    He's talking about the information given in modern games vs EQ. Which is something -I- didn't even cover in the other threads.

I wonder what some of these games would be like if you had stats, but mousing over them didn't tell you what they did. Or if there wasn't a map/minimap. And quests didn't have the little yellow circles, telling you where to go.

+ Reply to Thread