+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Immauri
  • 3 Post By darkeden

Thread: The death of Gaddafi

Default The death of Gaddafi

Oct. 20 - WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT. Amateur video obtained by Reuters from NTC fighters in Sirte purports to show former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi covered in blood and held on the ground by NTC fighters in Sirte. Gaddafi was reportedly killed as Libya's new leaders declared they had overrun the last bastion of his long rule, sparking wild celebrations that eight months of war may finally be over. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

http://www.reuters.com/video/2011/10...nnel=worldNews

Im curious to see how far this 'Arab Spring' will go. 2011 has been a bad year for dictators/despots and terrorists overall. My thoughts turn to North Korea where people are starving.

Well lets see, who is next? Castro? Chavez? Kim Jong Ill? Mahmoud Amademajab? It's a target rich envirmonent
    Last edited by Linfang; 10-21-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    Online since 1994. MajorMud, UO, EQ 1/2, AC 1/2 DAOC, Earth and Beyond, Anarchy Online, Horizons, SWG, Lineage 2, WoW, LOTR, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek Online, RIFT!

Hobbes wrote that "during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man" (Leviathan, ch. XIII)

Far be it from me to profess a lifelong goal of "world peace," however it would be ideal to live in a world where there was not greed, each man and woman were treated equal, and suffering of the masses was at an extreme minimum.

I am but one woman, and as long as I have free will I choose to remain in the kitchen and diligently keep my household at peace. With this I hope to accomplish home peace so that all who come and go in my family will also remain peaceful. If only each and every person in the world would do the same.. if only.

Over the centuries there have been many dictators and rebels, as well as peaceful times. It is a cycle that seems never ending. With the world, be it your own personal world, country, or world as a whole how can you or I set an example that will inspire a world wide change? The majority dislike change, most need something to fight, someone to hold blame for why their lifetime is the way it is. People want peace, most times it only causes more war.

I offer you this virtual homemade apple pie as a tidbit of food for thought:

A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator, the smaller the fraction.
    ― Leo Tolstoy
    Do not ask which creature screams in the night. Do not ask who crouches in the shadow.
    For it is my voice that wakes you in the night, and me who watches you from the shadow.
    I am Tzeentch and you are the puppet that dances to my tune.
    Karazantor the Vile, Traitor of Xian

I'd have paid money to be the one who put the bullet in him.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

I think the Arab Spring is one of those 'be careful what you wish for' things. I read Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography about how she grew up a Muslim in Somalia, and what she described in the overthrow of the Somalian warlord and the collapse of Somalian society that followed is almost to a T matching what's going on in Egypt and Libya.

So they got rid of a dictator who was really bad. That is great, but this is not a movie where we just assume everything turns out wonderfully after that. Things can and probably will get much worse after this as the dictator is replaced by an amorphous group of religious fanatics with no one to keep them in line.

Somalia was once a relatively stable country with a relatively good standard of living and a despotic dictator that no one liked. Now its an anarchic mess filled with a thousand warlords who kill anyone that look at them wrong and 21st century pirates. I'm going to call that a downgrade.
    Last edited by darkeden; 10-22-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    BLIZZARD: First off, it's important that everyone remembers that feedback needs to remain constructive... using profanity in your posts, no matter how strongly you may feel about something, is not appropriate.
    TRION: If something ****ing pisses someone off to the point of ****ing smashing their ****ing keyboard Hearing it in those words, helps.

Champion

Now if only certain countries who have made hypocrisy into an art form hadn't funded, armed and trained him over various parts of the last 4 decades, he could of been gone much sooner. (the same goes for numerous other dictators and "terrorists")
    Last edited by Flimble; 10-22-2011 at 01:03 PM.

He deserved it, the people deserved it.
    Last edited by Zoid; 10-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92262&dateline=134088  9999

+ Reply to Thread