Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Please define 'Hardcore' and 'Casual' players for me?

Rift Disciple

Default Please define 'Hardcore' and 'Casual' players for me?

As the title states, I'm both curious and interested in what people think the definitions are of these two terms: 'Hardcore player' and 'Casual player'?

I only ask as there seems to be a blurring as to most people's conceptions of these two terms, I being one of them. At least then I will know whichside of the proverbial fence I fall on.

As it stands, I'm of the opinion that there is no right way or wrong way of playing an MMO, but these terms get thrown about like insults and badges of honour, so I thought some clarification would be helpful.

Thanks for your input
    Last edited by Fyloh; 01-14-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Definitions.
    1) Hardcore. What every gamer is.
    2)Casual. What every gamer thinks every other gamer is.

Koe

Hardcore(Doesn't have to be all of these): Plays 5+ hours a day, generally doesn't care about RP or lore, gets into the mechanics/mathematics of the game, min/maxes their character for optimal performance, among other things. These are generally the long lasting subscribers.

Casual(Again, doesn't have to be all): Less playtime usually, not worried about being the best, most RP or people who care about lore fall into this category. Not as worried about progression, etc.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fyloh View Post
    As the title states, I'm both curious and interested in what people think the definitions are of these two terms: 'Hardcore player' and 'Casual player'?

I only ask as there seems to be a blurring as to most people's conceptions of these two terms, I being one of them. At least then I will know whichside of the proverbial fence I fall on. As it stands, I'm of the opinion that there is no right way or wrong way of playing an MMO, but these terms get thrown about like insults and badges of honour, so I thought some clarification would be helpful.

Thanks for your input
    what kinda hardcore and casual definition u want? lol. there are several.

the general definition imo is a more "casual" oriented player plays the game on a more relaxed schedule which may allow them to incorporate real life events into what they do. the "hardcore" oriented player dedicates the majority of their time and efforts to their game leaving little time for activities and events that happen in real life, they will likely hold down a job of course which pays for everything but in regards to real life....the game is their life.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by Sarablu View Post
    Definitions.
    Humor and popular beliefs aside....

1) Hardcore. Someone who is able to dedicate more than 6 hours a day to fully mastering the content, and is usually quite competitive to the point where anything less than absolute best is a total disappointment. Likes to think of themselves as "in it for the long run".

2) Casual. Someone who, for whatever reason, cannot or will not devote as much time to the mastery of a game, and normally calls for accessibility and the dumbing-down of intricate, complex, or thoughtful features that promote competition. Likes to think of their group as being in the majority.

Or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Shadowlander

Casuals ftw.

Hardcore: What you where before you had a wife and kids

Casual: What you are now

Life would be a lot easier if God would just leave it at not killing people instead of asking me to love them.

God loves Ninjas!

Quote Originally Posted by Fyloh View Post

I only ask as there seems to be a blurring as to most people's conceptions of these two terms, I being one of them. At least then I will know whichside of the proverbial fence I fall on. As it stands, I'm of the opinion that there is no right way or wrong way of playing an MMO, but these terms get thrown about like insults and badges of honour, so I thought some clarification would be helpful.

Thanks for your input
    I'll use an analogy. We all know people that like running. Some people go for a run a few days a week to stay in shape. They just go to foot locker to get thir sneakers and they get their clothes at a Sporting Goods storeThese people are casual. Some people run a few days a week and even like doing the occassional 5k run. These people maybe get their stuff from specialty shops, know that brand x makes sneakers better for their type of running and their shape of foot etc. And did some research as to the best ways to get better, maybe they even have a training diary. These are the middle of the road peeps. Then u have the guy or gal who does all of this, disects different training methods, counts their calories of carbs to protien, maybe even pay for a coach and is training to enter the Boston Marathon. These are the hard cores. This is not to say that hard cores won't run 5k's with their less obsessed friends but when its marathon time they do not hold back.

Make sense?

Ascendant

Definitions.
    if i think im casual...does that make me even more hardcore than the ones that think their hardcore?
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    what kinda hardcore and casual definition u want? lol. there are several.

the general definition imo is a more "casual" oriented player plays the game on a more relaxed schedule which may allow them to incorporate real life events into what they do. the "hardcore" oriented player dedicates the majority of their time and efforts to their game leaving little time for activities and events that happen in real life, they will likely hold down a job of course which pays for everything but in regards to real life....the game is their life.
    That' s the most common definition IMO.

Rift Master

Definitions.
    I lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post

1) Hardcore. Someone who is able to dedicate more than 6 hours a day to fully mastering the content, and is usually quite competitive to the point where anything less than absolute best is a total disappointment. Likes to think of themselves as "in it for the long run".

2) Casual. Someone who, for whatever reason, cannot or will not devote as much time to the mastery of a game, and normally calls for accessibility and the dumbing-down of intricate, complex, or thoughtful features that promote competition. Likes to think of their group as being in the majority.

Or something like that.
    Yea, something like that.

I'd say it's simply how much time and effort one (is able to) put in to play something.

So hardcore players: Spends more time and effort.
    Casual players: Spends less time and effort.

You sound like you lump yourself with hardcore. Many casual are in it for the long haul and do not want anything dumbed down. The ones who want it easier are usually the in the door out again sort who flip from game to game and then say there is nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post

Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIMPNOODLE View Post
    That' s the most common definition IMO.
    Correction: in regards to real life....the game is (more or less) their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    You sound like you lump yourself with hardcore. Many casual are in it for the long haul and do not want anything dumbed down. The ones who want it easier are usually the in the door out again sort who flip from game to game and then say there is nothing to do.
    I actually lump myself in with casual. In trying to be fair to both sides, I may have come off a bit harshly towards my home-team...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast