Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Please define 'Hardcore' and 'Casual' players for me?

Telaran

I've been in a casual guild- and I'm currently in a "more hardcore" guild- but not all the way hardcore.

Casual- can put together an instance group, but usually only 3 people in the group are actually doing anything.
    Casual raiding- at the end of the expansion, only have loot from the first boss, and are trying to learn the second.

More hardcore- can put together an instance group, and own the instances.
    More hardcore raiding- can clear raid zones- but only do so 3 nights a week.

Hardcore- solo instances to prove that they can- but generally sneer at the "instance" concept.
    Hardcore raiding- 6 nights a week, shower on the 7th.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by dxmzan View Post
    I still beg to differ. Lets think of this scenario. You have a unemployed guy who spends 8 hours a day just playing a video game because why the not, right? Does this automatically make him hardcore? Hardly.

What about the guy who works 9 hours a day, has a kid, comes home plays for 2-3 hours and manages to keep himself min/max, uses that whole 3 hours to accomplish things that took some other player 8 hours to do. Now that's pretty hardcore.

Don't get me wrong though, there are people who play 8 hours at the fullest too, I'm just saying don't discount the guy who against all odds still manages to get enough gametime in to stay up to speed.

Its mentality, not time limit.
    Why would it not make him hardcore? He's playing the game for a third of the day each day, and is obviously devoted to it.

Because you are putting an unrealistic time limit on being able to min/max your character. As I said, some content is not available to people who can play 2-3 hours a day.

Being hardcore is not about optimizing your time, it's devoting time. Edit: the only thing time optimization differentiates is the hardcore, and really hardcore.
    Last edited by Koe; 01-14-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Reading through this thread I found it both hilarious and kind of sad, as I went back and forth lumping myself into one category and then back into the other. I have been buying, downloading, and playing PC games since back in the day of the old green screened computers. My interest has wained back and forth as I wained back and forth between things in my "real life" that were more interesting than what was on the computer screen, but I always seem to return to this cheap and very valid form of entertainment. I am fairly new to the world of MMOs (which is, of course, not the only form of PC or consol gaming I engage in), but have spent vast amounts of time playing since I discovered them about 2 years ago now.

OK that being said back to the question at hand: "What is a hardcore/casual gamer?" So here's my 2 cents....In my house I have 2 consols, 3 laptops, and a high powered gaming desktop computer. I subscribe to 2 gaming magizines, and I record X-play on my DVR every week. I play almost all generes of games, not only MMOs. I not only play the latest and greatest games that are currently out, I also spend lots of time researching, following, beta testing, and contributing through forums to the "in development" games not yet out. I sometimes follow games for many years before they are finally available to play. And finally I sometimes log more play time than I spend at work. (WOW after actually writing all that out I may have to re-evaluate my life huh? lol)

I say all that to say this...Do I consider myself a hardcore or a casual gamer. I say who gives a s##t, play the games you like, have fun doing it and forget the labels of insecure people who have to validate their existence. If it starts to feel like the game is more work than fun, move on there are pleanty of games out there (why I am so interested in Rift in the first place). Off my soap box now, but this felt like one I wanted to contribute to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathafern View Post
    I've been in a casual guild- and I'm currently in a "more hardcore" guild- but not all the way hardcore.

Casual- can put together an instance group, but usually only 3 people in the group are actually doing anything.
    Casual raiding- at the end of the expansion, only have loot from the first boss, and are trying to learn the second.

More hardcore- can put together an instance group, and own the instances.
    More hardcore raiding- can clear raid zones- but only do so 3 nights a week.

Hardcore- solo instances to prove that they can- but generally sneer at the "instance" concept.
    Hardcore raiding- 6 nights a week, shower on the 7th.
    I do not agree with you.
    Last edited by Gumurak; 01-14-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumurak View Post
    A gamer with the comprehension of thier own playstyle can be summarized as

A.) A hardcore player is willing to do whatever it takes, despite the dedication requirements, to have the best of what the game has to offer. And thus does everything in thier power to maintain a top level of play by thier own standards. And plays with a group of like minded individuals.

B.) A casual player that plays the game on thier own terms, in the manner to which they choose, and the context that they wish to do it in or for. Which may or may not involve not doing, playing, or seeing certain content by thier own free will.
    These would be my definitions. It's not about how much you play but about how you play (although I think there is probably a minimum threshold that varies between games). Do you set ingame goals? Do you step outside your comfort zone if that is required to achieve those goals? If you answer yes to both then you are probably hardcore; if you just play and take things as they happen you are probably casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Banelion View Post
    time spent or the skill of play is quite irrelevant to the matter.
    Have to agree with this part of Banelionís statement. In my opinion itís all about your mind set. How much do you really care about the game? Thatís what I think it cracks down to. You can be an easy going casual gamer that doesnít play very often, and still be really good playing the game, especially if youíve been playing a particular style of games twice as long as some of the younger kids have been alive. You can be a hardcore gamer that tries really hard for hours on end every day, but still suck, just because you donít have a knack for it.
    In the end I would say that hardcore basically refers to someone that takes the game very seriously, and cares a lot about their toons, stats, gear, and whatnot. A casual gamer is someone who just wants to play the game, have some fun, and doesnít really care that much about it, because to them itís just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    These would be my definitions. It's not about how much you play but about how you play (although I think there is probably a minimum threshold that varies between games). Do you set ingame goals? Do you step outside your comfort zone if that is required to achieve those goals? If you answer yes to both then you are probably hardcore; if you just play and take things as they happen you are probably casual.
    Best said statement to date. Pleasure to meet you sir/madam.

Ascendant

Its really messed up like everything is. But I think hardcore/casual means nothing more than how many hour per day you can play, at least that what it meant in Aion. Aion just encourages and support people to play like mad 6-10 hour per day. Harder you grind, harder you can gank in the abyss. Darkfall takse this to insanity, people afk-swim/macro there to get good character and literally gank noobs as its full pvp game.
    Last edited by June; 01-14-2011 at 05:21 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    Why would it not make him hardcore? He's playing the game for a third of the day each day, and is obviously devoted to it.

Because you are putting an unrealistic time limit on being able to min/max your character. As I said, some content is not available to people who can play 2-3 hours a day.

Being hardcore is not about optimizing your time, it's devoting time. Edit: the only thing time optimization differentiates is the hardcore, and really hardcore.
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree since we're going to start repeating ourselves. Others in this thread are probably explaining it better than what I'm trying to say.

Koe

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree since we're going to start repeating ourselves. Others in this thread are probably explaining it better than what I'm trying to say.

What I'm saying is that you have to have an initial time played that is enough to clear all the content. If you can't clear all the content, you're not hardcore.

Yes, there is no standard definition. As I said earlier, I really find it truely funny that people place SO much value on being considered "Hardcore" while almost no one will readily admit to being merely a "Casual" gamer (it's like they have herpes). Anyway, drop the labels and have some fun playing. Although feel free to keep fighting back and forth I am finding this hilarious!

why the hell do these threads keep popin up? do a quick search are your question would have been answered.

Both "hardcore" and "casual" are labels often used by self-centered punks who think they are the pinnacle of awesome. It is merely childish labeling.

Gamers are gamers, and there is a lot of gray in there, not just black and white.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by IrkinElite View Post
    Yes, there is no standard definition. As I said earlier, I really find it truely funny that people place SO much value on being considered "Hardcore" while almost no one will readily admit to being merely a "Casual" gamer (it's like they have herpes). Anyway, drop the labels and have some fun playing. Although feel free to keep fighting back and forth I am finding this hilarious!
    Sorry, no time for having fun. gaming is serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillityr View Post
    Both "hardcore" and "casual" are labels often used by self-centered punks who think they are the pinnacle of awesome. It is merely childish labeling.

Gamers are gamers, and there is a lot of gray in there, not just black and white.
    Yes, yes, and yes!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast