+ Reply to Thread

Thread: monitor question

Default monitor question

Is anything less than 1080 noticeable?
    Right now my monitors max resolution is 1280x1024 and a buddy is saying the 1080 monitors probably won't make a difference.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Velkore View Post
    Right now my monitors max resolution is 1280x1024 and a buddy is saying the 1080 monitors probably won't make a difference.
    depends on the monitor currently used.

a CRT compared to a LCD both running at 1280x1024. the LCD has a substantially noticeable quality difference. if you bought you monitor a few years ago and its not that great by todays standard.... a new one will usually have better color representation, faster response, and most like be bigger for around the same price you payed back then. look the specs of your monitor up and compare them to the new one you intend to get. if you see a noticeable difference, go for it.

another determining factor in the is it better question is: are you running on board graphics or a third party card? third party cards will of course be better and usually have better connectors on the back. which brings up the next point. your cable matters. use the best quality you can find. hdmi>dvi>vga and also use gold plated over standard when available. shielded cables will reduce the electrical interference from all those wires back there behind your pc as well.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 01-14-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    use the best quality you can find. hdmi>dvi>vga.
    You left out display port.

. which brings up the next point. your cable matters. use the best quality you can find. hdmi>dvi>vga and also use gold plated over standard when available. shielded cables will reduce the electrical interference from all those wires back there behind your pc as well.
    Digital signalling will not benefit from gold plating nor will buying shielded cables when you have such a short cable run. Digital signalling either works or it doesn't. It's not analog that works, but in various degrees. As far as shielding short cable runs do not require it. The likelihood that you will get interference on that short distance is extremely low. The only time you would need that is if you lived next to a radio tower or you had your computer in a factory of heavy machinery.
    Last edited by Despoiler; 01-14-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    "Meet me in the shadows and I'll show you the depths of darkness"

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
    wasnt talking about the port...you deleted everything and snipped only a partial. i clearly said cable in the previous sentence and then proceeded to talk about the types i thought were better.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Rift Disciple

Its all about the pixel size. Anything less then .26 pixel size is awesome and anything over you will not be as happy.

Kat

ok, i had a 1280x1024 17" CRT for a LOOONG time. it was a great monitor, and I actually remember it fondly.

Eventually the temptation to get a 19" widescreen monitor (in 1680x1050) got the better of me when they became cheaper. Basically my resolution was no greater vertically, but it was much wider. The overall monitor picture size was about the same height and about 3+ inches wider. also, it was an LCD, which I have found does tend to look better than the old crt's. BUT crt's only look especially good if they are running a game in their native resolution, the pixels on a lcd monitor are a bit more hard edged, so at non-native resolutions they gain a very exaggerated 'pixelized' look. Also, on a CRT you can set the sharpness to 'soft' and skip FSAA in your game settings. On a LCD, you really do need about 2x FSAA to have a game look it's best.

lcd's use a lot less electricity and are much lighter, btw.

I loved that 19" monitor, but I actually found 19" with 1680x1050 to be a little bit 'squinty' to read small text. Basically I think that for that resolution 1680x1050 (or similar) you're better off with about 20"-22" widescreen, just to 'blow things up a little' and make small text easier to read.

It's worth mentioning that going to more pixels, and going to an lcd which only looks especially good at native resolution... ended up forcing me to play games at higher resolutions, which in turn forced me towards earlier/larger computer upgrades to keep games looking good.

Then, I got 'serious' about my monitors, and splurged on a 28" lcd monitor in 1920x1200 (which is 16:10 ratio slightly 'taller' than 1080p HD, but the same width). This was just before the 1080p monitors became kinda the standard. It's huge, sitting 2.5 feet from it it fills a lot of my field of view. I'm very happy with it, though my computer graphics needs are that much more taxed to render 2.3mp worth of real estate.

It's worth mentioning that 'widescreen' monitors, of any size, really just look a lot better for gaming use. They provide a much more natural field of view into the game world, and give you a lot more situational awareness. Using a widescreen monitor will make your old non-widescreen feel like looking down a paper towel tube at your game. for resolutions, i'd stick with 1680x1050 (or similar) for 20-22" widescreen monitors. and 1080p (1920x1080) for 24"+ monitors. Currently, 24" monitors are the largest which are reasonably priced. (note, most 1080p monitors can pull double duty as televisions). They make 22" 1080p monitors, but you'll lean close to read any fine print on screen, so i really think the extra 2" is worth it at the current prices.

Will it look better/be noticeable?
    resolution: your vertical resolution would only go up by 56pixels if you got a 1080p monitor. Your horizontal resolution will feel like you just took off horse blinders.
    image quality: lcd's will look better, as long as you run them at native resolution.
    screen size: modern widescreen monitors are bigger, and size is good. basically it's not just the pixel count which determines how large your image looks, but also how big the screen is. and a larger image, even without higher resolution, will fill your field of view more, and feel more immersive in a game (or a movie for that matter). As long as the screen size isn't way too big for your pixel resolution, as that will start to look jagged (which is why i wouldn't get say a 24" monitor in a 1600ish resolution... not that they make those anymore)

go to best buy (or a similar outlet), look at the monitors, that'll tell you more than reading any of this. also, if you like them, buy your monitor from that local outlet... online ordering lcd monitors is generally not a good idea, since if they have dead pixels (a rare, but not super rare, lcd factory defect) it will be MUCH simpler to deal with best buy's simple 14 day in-store return (with receipt) than to try to RMA the monitor and worry about shipping or restocking, etc. It's the only computer hardware I really would go out of my way to buy locally, everything else I newegg ;)
    Last edited by Kat; 01-14-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Vexat View Post
    Its all about the pixel size. Anything less then .26 pixel size is awesome and anything over you will not be as happy.
    depends how close you sit.

wasnt talking about the port...you deleted everything and snipped only a partial. i clearly said cable in the previous sentence and then proceeded to talk about the types i thought were better.
    Sure thing buddy. You actually didn't say cable in the previous sentence.

use the best quality you can find. hdmi>dvi>vga
    "Meet me in the shadows and I'll show you the depths of darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Velkore View Post
    The short form, yes, it's very noticible. Your friend hasn't made the switch or he wouldn't be saying that.

I went from something like a 17" CRT that I ran at higher res than 1280x1024 (I forget now, I think it was the 1440xwhatever setting) and the difference moving to the 24" 1920x1200 monitor was enormous. It was kind of like sitting in a movie theater. And that wasn't a feeling that wore off quickly. It took a good 6+ months for me to stop going 'wow' every time I played.

The difference in peripheral vision when changing aspect ratio is huge. You can not possibly underestimate it more if you aren't familiar with it. I have a picture that compares 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 (created for just this senario) and it doesn't come close to doing the aspect difference justice. Though you look at it and go 'meh, big deal', it becomes a huge deal when you actually play something like a MMOG and the UI elements that are normally right in your face get moved to those additional side areas. That makes a huge change. And in FPS games, or when tanking in MMOGs, the wider aspect really makes you a lot more aware of your surroundings.

If your monitor is capable of it try out the 16:9 aspect and see for yourself. Alter the resolution to 1280x720 (again, if your monitor lets you) and squeeze the screen down so it's about 20% black at the top and bottom. You should quickly realize in things like MMOGs that the extra width really changes how you interact with the UI and your surroundings. Before I upgraded I did exactly this. I altered my resolution up to 1600x900, then pinched it down so it had the black bars to be close to the correct aspect ratio. In the month or two following while I saved up for the new monitor I didn't change it back.

It's not so much about the dot pitch (though I only skimmed replies). It's not so much about the resolution comparing x to y. It's all about the aspect ratio. It's the same reason why I'm all for triple monitors now as opposed to just a single one. Here you go check that out and ask your friend if widescreen still doesn't matter. While single screen is a muchly reduced effect, you get the idea. The wider aspect makes a very big difference.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
    Best, true enough, but the DisplayPort monitors are silly expesnive.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread