+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sandbox or Open-Ended MMORPGS?

Shadowlander

Default Sandbox or Open-Ended MMORPGS?

Just wondering, what do some of you guys think of something like this?
    Like, a game where there is basically no true, linear storyline or questline that you have to follow?
    Where you can pretty much be who you want to be in a living, breathing MMO world and even have some player-driven type content.
    Last edited by vVv_ampedRAWR; 01-13-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Like the good old Ultima Online? Or Darkfall and Mortal Online?

I like it, but it needs to be done correctly. And it's a very niche market, so not many developers dare go there, sadly enough..
    In game characters in beta: Warskel (Mathosian Warrior), Rathu (High Elf Mage), Mairerit (High Elf Cleric), Adrivia (Mathosian Rogue)

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by vVv_ampedRAWR View Post
    Just wondering, what do some of you guys think of something like this?
    Like, a game where there is basically no true, linear storyline or questline that you have to follow?
    Where you can pretty much be who you want to be in a living, breathing MMO world and even have some player-driven type content.
    Oh you mean zork 3D? ok I kid, but what you are talking about is a dynamic storyline that changes based on the quests, etc. you choose to do? well the problem is: it is still a finite system. At some point there are only so many choices you can program into the game, even if you are using a RNG system to determine outcomes it is still based on a set number of programed outputs based on the input received. someone has to come up with the outcomes. Otherwise you end up with a program that grows every time a user chooses to input their own "code" into the game. it would be come one huge memory leak. Not to mention the shear amount of protection against people trying to screw the game up just because it is possible.

That said, I don't think that some dynamic content is a bad thing. Almost like incorporating a fable like choosing of your fate (good or evil so to speak) in the beginning stages or something like that.

Shadowlander

If you want a game with no story line, and no dev generated content to speak of(which sounds like a nightmare to most people), play Ryzom. Open skill system, skills improve by being used, no max cap on skills(so given a lot of free time, you could master everything). Even though it's showing it's age(over 6 years old), I think it still looks pretty good.

Plane Touched

Wait for ArcheAge, see what it has to offer.

Suppoed to be Vanguard on AoC graphics = a perfect mix for MMOers looking for a bit more challenge, immersivness, etc. than WoW, Rift, etc.

Also, not anywhere near beta yet but potentially Citadel of Sorcery could perhaps hold what you seek.

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/questions/index.php.
    Last edited by Grymmoire; 01-14-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Quote Originally Posted by brento73 View Post
    If you want a game with no story line, and no dev generated content to speak of(which sounds like a nightmare to most people), play Ryzom. Open skill system, skills improve by being used, no max cap on skills(so given a lot of free time, you could master everything). Even though it's showing it's age(over 6 years old), I think it still looks pretty good.
    Dont forget about skill constructor.

+ Reply to Thread