+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will RIFT Support PhysX?

Rift Disciple

Default Will RIFT Support PhysX?

According to Nvidia/GeForce website, RIFT is going to support PhysX. However, I can't find any information or confirmation of this anywhere else. Anyone have any idea?
    Zzari - Human Warrior - www.maximation.us

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.2GHz
    4GB Corsair XMS DDR2 PC2-8500
    1GB EVGA GTX460

I wouldn't count on it.

And a company telling you that a game that hasn't said anything about it will support their gear doesn't seem like a reliable source.

I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you I still have a country. (Captain Blythe)
    In war (and PvP) it's not who's right, it's who's left.
    I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next

Ascendant

it is possible actually. the game is capable of supporting it, assuming its not already in there.

i myself have not seen an option for it. the reason there would have to be an option is that physx is a purely nvidia based feature. ati cards have no way of dealing with it. so that being said having not seen the option first hand....i would find it safe to say it is not available as of yet.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 01-14-2011 at 05:10 AM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

That's likely a mistake. They (Nvidia) likely just added that by default due to the branding. I've never heard anything from the devs that they planned to use PhysX. Their core engine doesn't use it. That's not something you just sprinkle on the top like, well, sprinkles. It has to be part of the core of the engine right from the start.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Default You actually can sprinkle physx

Take Sacred 2, physx wasn't originally part of the game engine but as of update 2.40 they added sprinkles... OHH SWEET PHYSX SPRINKLES....

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    I wouldn't count on it.

And a company telling you that a game that hasn't said anything about it will support their gear doesn't seem like a reliable source.
    "Gear"? PhysX is just a way to offload physics porcesses from the CPU to the GPU. Don't know what 'Gear' you are talking about.. maybe the Nvidia 3D glasses??? Not the same.

IF Rift had used PhysX you would see the logo for PhysX on the back of the box, most likely. Best bet, IF you have an Nvidia card, just go into control panel and switch PhysX 'On' one of your cards and not on the CPU. If PhysX is working in Rift you will see an improvement in FPS.

Rift DOES support; 3D Vision and SLI... which is boss for me, cause I have SLI. Not that intrested in 3D Vision, would rather have better FPS than pseudo-3D and siezures. hehehe
    Last edited by EnzoMatrix; 03-19-2011 at 10:06 PM.

I think Rift should "support" more than 33 fps in wfs and capital cities, before supporting physix.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    I think Rift should "support" more than 33 fps in wfs and capital cities, before supporting physix.
    it does for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon5 View Post
    it does for me?
    Ok, Mr.NASA Computer but the rest of us have to make due with 3.33 Ghz and geforce gtx 465, hardly a weak combo as we can run all other games at max graphics, but still not enough for lolrift.

Rift Master

I thought physics was for rag doll and movable object type of stuff, does this game even have any kind of that stuff in it? As of now, I don't even see a reason to support physx.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Ok, Mr.NASA Computer but the rest of us have to make due with 3.33 Ghz and geforce gtx 465, hardly a weak combo as we can run all other games at max graphics, but still not enough for lolrift.
    It's not Rift's fault your poor.

Also Rift is newer than your other games.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by EIsberg77 View Post
    I thought physics was for rag doll and movable object type of stuff, does this game even have any kind of that stuff in it? As of now, I don't even see a reason to support physx.
    It can be used well for those items, it also can be used with particle effects -- fire, smoke, etc -- and has other uses.

I'd like to see more games use physics, of course the whole Nvida/AMD opposing standards does make this less likely. AMD's system being less advance but GPU independent, Nvidia refusing to write code, or allow it to be written, for AMD or other GPU's is effectively killing general adoption.

Just like AMD and Intel licence technology to each other to keep their CPU's compatible Nvidia should do the same.... not like they wont get $5 per amd card sold or whatever it sells for.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    It's not Rift's fault your poor.

Also Rift is newer than your other games.
    The freakish hardware requirements come from a subpar engine using DX9 which is nearly 10 years old (12/2002).

Also, you can't buy your way to fps holding steady at v-sync in rifts, raids and busy major cities. People much smarter then you with large wallets have tried, and it hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster101 View Post
    According to Nvidia/GeForce website, RIFT is going to support PhysX. However, I can't find any information or confirmation of this anywhere else. Anyone have any idea?
    Those same websites said that Vanguard was going to support PhysX too. Likewise, those same sites lied.

Different game, most likely same lie.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

+ Reply to Thread