+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LotRO forums down for a week, possible security breach

Default LotRO forums down for a week, possible security breach

The LotRO forums have been down for about a week, and their website says:

Recently, we were made aware of an issue with the security of our LOTRO community web applications. Protecting player accounts is a top priority and we take any potential issues seriously. As a result, we closed all of our forums as we investigate the situation. We are continuing to investigate and the forums will not reopen until this work is complete.

As an additional precaution we recommend that all players change their passwords by visiting http://myaccount.turbine.com. Please remember to use unique, hard-to guess passwords that are not associated with other online services or sites, and always look for and report unusual activity in your account to Turbine customer support.

Link

I have changed my password.
    I live my life with bold enthusiasm tempered by the hope that when I die it won't be reported in News of the Weird or the Darwin Awards.

Visit the scenic Isle of Langerhans dimension, Faeblight server.

dont click that link. could be a hack from Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    dont click that link. could be a hack from Anonymous
    Or you could just right click view link info and see that its a news feed from LOTRO

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiel of harrow View Post
    Or you could just right click view link info and see that its a news feed from LOTRO
    never said it wasnt

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

I am a huge Tolkein fan and I can't for the life of me get into that game. I tried twice now, it just is very lack luster for me.
    Online since 1994. MajorMud, UO, EQ 1/2, AC 1/2 DAOC, Earth and Beyond, Anarchy Online, Horizons, SWG, Lineage 2, WoW, LOTR, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek Online, RIFT!

Quote Originally Posted by Linfang View Post
    I am a huge Tolkein fan and I can't for the life of me get into that game. I tried twice now, it just is very lack luster for me.
    Same here. I mean I got up to 25 on one character but after that I started hitting meh mode. I even talked a friend into hopping into it recently since they went F2P and we played around with it for maybe a week. Quit after we found out that the AH and crafts is under the premium plan.

I think my biggest issue was the number of hobbits I saw running around. Don't ask me why but tiny characters drive me nuts. I used to hate Lurikeens also.

I just got a email. seem like LOTRO is attacked

Quote Originally Posted by Linfang View Post
    Same here, game never grabbed me. Also a huge Tolkien fan but thats probably the problem..
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by faye007 View Post
    Same here, game never grabbed me. Also a huge Tolkien fan but thats probably the problem..
    That could be. I'm not a Tolkien fan at all, and really only liked the original Hobbit cartoon from the 70s (80s?). And I thought LotRO was one of the better MMOs to come out (but I also think WoW was one of the worst).

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I just got a email. seem like LOTRO is attacked
    Er, that's what this thread is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Er, that's what this thread is all about.
    translation:
    I also received this email of an attack

I enjoyed the game up until I started questing in the Moria expansion areas, and I found out that when people said "closely grouped mobs", they meant it. My main was a champion, I don't know how that class plays now but back at release, it started strong but by the time you reached Angmar you could barely win a one on one with a solo mob, even with good weapons and armor, while other classes could easily take down signature or elite mobs solo.

A good portion of the in game music was great, the scenery was decent, fields with grass, flowers and trees moving in the wind, and I'll never forget the first time I ventured through the Trollshaws and into Imladris.

These hacking incidents are becoming more common, I changed my forum and Turbine account passwords just as I did with my SOE account. Turbine is probably happy(relatively) this happened to the forums and not the game network as with SOE.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
    These hacking incidents are becoming more common,
    Basically, there are very few web forum packages around, so once a flaw becomes known very many game and other boards are vulnerable.

vBulletin, Invision, pbPHP (sp?) and maybe one or two more, they've all had problems and caused events like this.

+ Reply to Thread