+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2011 will be a great battle for mmo studios. <<post opinions>>

Default 2011 will be a great battle for mmo studios. <<post opinions>>

Good evening everyone,so far im watching videos and videos reading forums about upcoming mmos and all i can see is a battle between them.

2011 will bring Rift planes of telara,tera,swtor,guild wars 2 and some others maybe that dont have much advertisment as these.

For me to say the truth Im most impressed by Rift and not because its their site.
    Some of the things i like about rift iare:
    1) it's more mature than other mmos so it would have more mature comunity i hope
    2)Characters look mature and badass as im expecting from an mmo and not childish and stupid like tera.
    2)Best character movement ive seen in mmos im ****in impressed by that
    3)Nice atmosphere from what ive seen
    4)Many classes to choose and many combinations(hope they add later on the ability to have eg rogue/mage
    5)Hope the gameplay is awesome too!

There are a lot of things to see from the rift devs and criticize about them,but so far only seeing from the videos im impressed in comparison to tera,swtor and guildwars2.

But this is a persons opinion and sure a lot of people may have different point of view.

So when finally rift comes out there it will have to fight against star wars and tera and later with gw2.
    Hope to make it and not just end as an mmo with 10 players per server!

From what i ve seen from videos only im not impressed by sw or tera or gw2 all of these look so childish created that i cant just look at them.They look horrible.

What do u guys think about the battle that is going to start between them.

I LL say Go Rift Go!

Well, I agree with you on many points. I hope though, that this thread doesn't turn into a flame war...

Anywhooo, I think ALL these games, at least SWTOR, GW2 AND Rift, will be amazing games, and to be honest, they should all be able to sustain large player bases.

Also, I think they do overlap of course, but they are quite different in what kind of sustained gameplay they will provide, so I think they can co-exist, and I think all 3 will be successful

SWTOR looks like a 50/50. It is Star Wars so they will get a lot of box sales from SW fans, but the gameplay so far seems pretty bleh. In particular the animations look horrid. Launch is still probably nearly a year out though, so they do have time to improve.

TERA is going to be labeled another asian grinder, and NcSoft has earned a rep as a bad company so that will scare off a lot of people. Unless they build an exp that western gamers can enjoy AND have a western dev team, this game won't go too far.

GW2 is going to hit the genre like an atom bomb. The character creation and gameplay videos from Gamescon caught a lot of attention, and have put this game far out in front of the competition. If they continue to build on what they have, and can provide a great online exp with no monthly sub, I think it is going to spell trouble for the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquirrel View Post
    SWTOR looks like a 50/50. It is Star Wars so they will get a lot of box sales from SW fans, but the gameplay so far seems pretty bleh. In particular the animations look horrid. Launch is still probably nearly a year out though, so they do have time to improve.

TERA is going to be labeled another asian grinder, and NcSoft has earned a rep as a bad company so that will scare off a lot of people. Unless they build an exp that western gamers can enjoy AND have a western dev team, this game won't go too far.

GW2 is going to hit the genre like an atom bomb. The character creation and gameplay videos from Gamescon caught a lot of attention, and have put this game far out in front of the competition. If they continue to build on what they have, and can provide a great online exp with no monthly sub, I think it is going to spell trouble for the competition.
    Yeah i agree that the only great threat will be guildwars but for some reasons i dont like it.Even though guildwars2 was first at gamescom presentation.While other games had 2% or 1.5% or even 0.6%... guildwars had 60% of votes on it.
    Thats probably gonna shake every studio i suppose and make them overclock their engines to create sth more challenging

Lets wait and see.Cant wait to see whos gonna lure most players and have the biggest success.

Oh and i forgot about wow cataclysm what about this?Do u think it's going to be affected by all these major releases in 2011?

....and rift will dominate all!

WoW Cataclysm

I think wow will get a temporary boost when the expansion comes out, and if released around the time TERA or Rift is released, it will likely impact box sales for those games. I don't see any long-term gain from the expansion. True the low level areas are being revamped, but I don't think that will bring in new players, just encourage existing players to reroll.

I think with SWTOR, GW2 and Rift coming out next year, we will finally start to see a slow decline in WoW's sub numbers, but it will be years before that game loses enough subs to be in trouble.

I also predict WAR will go f2p next summer, which may impact games with a heavy pvp basis.

Shield of Telara

I think GW2 will shake a lot of things up, as long as ArenaNet stay the course. I'm really keen on seeing how everyone reacts to it, both the public and developers alike. It won't suit everyone of course, but hopefully it will have a positive effect on the industry. It's different. And that's whats awesome about it.

SWTOR will be a behemoth at launch. Not sure if they can sustain the subscription numbers however. Not sure if I'll like it, but I'm going to try it anyway and see for myself. Bioware is the real draw for me here.

FF14 - I was sold on this game, but ever since Square became Square Enix, they've disappointed me. I keep hearing kooky things about 14, really odd design choices and some of the interviews with the devs have failed to impress me. There's a few interesting things they're doing, and I had a soft spot for 11 and the job system that might carry over and influence me on picking this up. But I dunno. Its 50/50 for e and as I look around various websites I see the game being met with a similar level of indifference.

Nothing else, MMO wise, is really on my radar. Of course, I'm gonna play Rift. But then, you knew that, didn't you?

i dont know when these are comming out but been hearing whispers about 38 studios new game and EQ Next. i think rift has staying power. if the community stays loyal and the devs stay onto top of there sh!t, we could have a realy winner. another thing i think is with all these new games comming out roughly at the same time, whoever has the best launch will win.

anyone interested in dc universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mogana View Post
    anyone interested in dc universe?
    I dont think dc universe is supposed to have influence in the mmo industry.There may be some people who could try it but thats all.

My prediction about 2011 is that everybody will run for swtor maybe about 60% the rest 40% will be devided by 2 for both tera and rift.
    After sometime a lot of people will get dissapointed about swtor and the 60% will become and they will go for tera and rift.
    So till now we should have 40% for swtor 30% for rift 30% for tera.
    Then a lot of people will also get dissapointed by tera and they'll go for other games
    And wi ll have 50%swtor 40%rift and 10% tera.

Finally Gw2 will come and we will have

15%swtor 20%rift 5% tera and 60%Gw2

Then Blizzard will anounce their new mmo in 2016 and we ll have 100% new mmo from blizzard

hahaha whats your prediction?

Rift, TERA, and SWTOR are the only ones on my radar. So far, Rift seems more old school than either of the other two. TERA will likely be another grindfest and SWTOR will probably just come off as an online single player game with some co-op functionality. Still, I'll keep following each one to see what's what.

SWTOR will only sell the 1 month. (BIoware is making a huge mistake, they think mmorpg means = Meh Meh online roleplaying game)
    GW2 will be played 1 month by vets and the rest will be f2p players. (It looks to much good for a b2p hmm i would say that the game itself its going to be awesome but the content will make everyone vomit)
    Tera will get all Aion Community to it and leave aion servers empty.(what i can say? lulz shiny graphics, new gameplay! grind until your fingers hurt)
    Cataclysm will bring back most of old wow vets but they will leave soon as rift go online.
    Rift the most underated mmo of all will dominate mmo market.
    True words never been spoken
    Last edited by Kyuso; 08-26-2010 at 07:07 PM.

didnt we say the samething between war and aoc
    But But it worked in Dev!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquirrel View Post

I don't think NCSoft is behind BlueHole studios. But rather I think former NCSoft employees founded it. I think Trion even has former NCSoft employees but that doesn't mean Rift is going to be a bad game. But I do think yes, GW2 is setting some new grounds in MMOs. I think they are probably one of the top contenders out there. But again, the business model allows you to be able to play that game and another without having too much monthly fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuso View Post
    SWTOR will only sell the 1 month. (BIoware is making a huge mistake, they think mmorpg means = Meh Meh online roleplaying game)
    GW2 will be played 1 month by vets and the rest will be f2p players. (It looks to much good for a b2p hmm i would say that the game itself its going to be awesome but the content will make everyone vomit)
    Tera will get all Aion Community to it and leave aion servers empty.(what i can say? lulz shiny graphics, new gameplay! grind until your fingers hurt)
    Cataclysm will bring back most of old wow vets but they will leave soon as rift go online.
    I am playing Aion now and if Rift wasn't coming out, I'd probably not leave Aion for Tera. Tera does not really have anything I'm looking for as far as game play. I don't like that type of action. I think they should have included some targeting also and made it where both were available. To me I think they could have come out with something more impressive combining the two. Not rid of one system that is known to work and replace with another type thinking it would be better. About 99% of the people I know on Aion are not leaving for Tera either, although many are planning on moving somewhere, they feel Tera is NOT the one.

Rift captured my eye cause I do like the old school game play but I'd like if they pushed the envelope with bringing newer techologies into the game. Even though the class system is new, they still limiting it in other ways. Add a combo system like in Aion, add a system where you create your own combos and add a little action type play like from tera but leave use a dual targeting system would be awesome. Maybe too complicated for some but it's really not. You have to get past the boundaries of assuming the majority of gamers are mentally challenged. We want more complexity in our games. In fact, the biggest killer for me lately is the "dumbing down" of games. I play games to challenge the mind and skill and why can't an MMO do that as well?

GW was very limited in content. I don't know if that will be the same for GW2 but I imagine that is one of the selling points. You'll play so far and come to a halt and you'll wanna pick up their next expansion pack they put out in 3-4 months after release. Hence another reason it will be easy to play while playing another MMO of your liking while playing that one.

Although it was a different type of game (sci-fi, space), Black Prophecy was pretty stunning. And think it comes as a F2P as well.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuso View Post
    Amen to that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast