+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why does the MMO community hate the push for FaceBook MMO gaming?

Default Why does the MMO community hate the push for FaceBook MMO gaming?

I was reading the community thread over at MMORPG.com here

Why so much hatred for the push of Facebook MMORPG browser gaming?

My opinion, I would like to see the tech advance enough that we can play 3D sandbox MMO from these browsers without download.

that would be awesome. most of the 3D browser game requires a certain kinda download.

but back to topic. Why the hate?

Most have never played a game on FB, they all assume its like Farmville.
    Hoss

Rift Chaser

I think this can be likened to why original DAoC/EQ/UO'ers generally despise modern MMO's, and why players of old classics like Baldur's Gate and Super Mario & The Seven Stars generally despise modern FPS and RPG titles; it's a step into the more casual, the less professionally developed, the lower cost and more populous.

Baldur's Gate --> Fable --> Facebook RPG #28375.
    1990's 2000's 2010's

You see the evolutionary trail here, which results in the original audience feeling alienated from the product they so loved. Qualitatively, the trends go downward because the game companies exist for a bottom line profit, meaning more subscriptions/players = higher profit; this results in a larger gamer base being a positive element from the game company's standpoint, but ultimately ruins what the original player audience loved about the game.

The 1985-1990 gamers had (and continue to have) a generally negative disposition towards 90% of the popular game titles released after 1998, just like the Halo and Fable generation of gamers will hold a negative disposition towards the 2015 era of Facebook/Social-Networking/Cell-Phone MMO genre that is quickly developing in our midst.

Falling into the original category just puts people like myself into a quasi-limbo state of dissatisfaction with the overall state of Gaming, but unfortunately, we love gaming so much that we try to adapt and develop with the times, and treasure above all else things that remind us of better days for gaming ("This feels old school", or "This reminds me of X game").

This is probably just a generational thing, and will continue to happen at infinitum into the future.

-Asono's Rant
    Asono, Guild Leader / Main Tank of <Chaos Legion>
    4/4 River of Souls / 5/5 Greenscale's Blight / 10/11 Hammerknell

Default advertisement

I think the fact that people (myself included) hate games (in general) on facebook is because the ads that we are bombarded with when we get on. I have no problem with micro payment games, but i do have a problem with loading a less then average game and have to deal with all the ads taking away from the gameplay. Also then facebook pushes you to network the game to your friends, sure it would be nice to have your friends play with you, but when a game punishes you by not offering all available perks to you simply because you dont have 4 people as your neighbors, its just wrong (imo). And then to add to that, the fact that they not only make money off the micro payments, the adds, and the fact that they want you to sucker your friends into playin and payin for the game, they dont even offer decent customer service. Well thats just my 2 cents, and to be fair i do play alot of poker on facebook and i like it alot.

At least 90% of your posts are white noise.

Soulwalker

Facebook is a big corporation that is only there to make money off of you. More games = more ways for them to make money. They don't care about your privacy or safety. In fact, they know what sites you visit if it has a Facebook like button. You don't even have to click the button. I don't want Facebook to know what I'm doing constantly.

Champion

If I want to play Rift, it's run by Trion, so I log onto their site and play their game. I'm not interested in going through some other place for them to pick up whatever information they feel like and then probably shove advertising at me too. No way I'll go near things like Facebook, Steam, etc. As for the idea of everything being stored server side instead of client, it's the quickest way to clog up the information highway.

Sword of Telara

i am part of the MMO community.

i do not see why the hate, i play City of wonder + guardian of time.
    both are browser games, and decent.

Ascendant

what Asono said just about covers it, also those facebook games/apps are more MLM than MMORPG

RIFT Community Ambassador Laughter's Avatar

I happen to be a huge fan of Sims Social. I grew up playing Sims though.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AsphyxZero View Post
    At least 90% of your posts are white noise.
    I love irony, especially when the poster is clearly oblivious to it.

I think my general reaction is 'there are mmo games on facebook...?'

I don't have any particular animus to mmo's on facebook, more an animus to facebook as a gaming platform / bombardment of marketing and spam to my friends.

If Rift was constantly asking me to send planarite starter packs to my family and friends that don't play and aren't interested in order to promote their game, I'd probably stop playing it too.
    BLIZZARD: First off, it's important that everyone remembers that feedback needs to remain constructive... using profanity in your posts, no matter how strongly you may feel about something, is not appropriate.
    TRION: If something ****ing pisses someone off to the point of ****ing smashing their ****ing keyboard Hearing it in those words, helps.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    [URL="http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4495383#4495383"]
    Why so much hatred for the push of Facebook MMORPG browser gaming?
    - People don't want to be bombarded with Facebook pushing stuff in their face.
    - The games (mmorpg ones) are second rate.
    - For the same reason people choose to avoid f2p games that are really p2w.
    - Because the majority of people either have no Facebook account or one that is basically inactive, because Facebook isn't actually much use.
    - Because Facebook clearly don't understand the concept of user rights or privacy.
    - Browser technology is simply not up to delivering anything near what a separate app can.

and so on...

I would love to see more MMORPG browsers based games. This will allow all the vanity, social, and casual gamers to leave the more traditional MMORPG games alone. The MMORPG community would be a better place. So bring it on facebook your not trying hard enough.
    Having more fun on the forums than i am in game.

Rift Chaser Talking The Hardest's Avatar

Facebook ruins everything, including facebook it's self.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast